over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for the deadlift experts

cal

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone improved their deadlift greatly?

First time I deadlifted many years ago without knowing much and other than following what Powerlifting trainer told me to do I did 405 pretty easily at around 160 lbs or so. Well many many years ago I can barely do 500 for a few reps on a good day.

I am not built to deadlift. Verylong torso and normal arms. Can do pretty close to same weight on stiff legged and strong on good mornings though it doesn't seem to transfer much if at all

I have basically just done same things for years. A few heavy sets to failure. Followed by row pulldowns etc all of which seemed to have minimal to no carry over

I can lockout easily anything I can get moving. The start has always been my issues physically and mentally. Done lockihts but zero transfer there. Any advice?

I

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Here's an article Dave Tate wrote, hopefully you'll get a few pointers;
T NATION | Dead Zone

- Are you training touch and go style, or are you letting the bar rest on the floor between reps? As soon as I switched the former for the latter my deadlift REALLY took off. I rest about 10 seconds between reps. Louie Simmons recommends resting about 30 seconds between reps, I'll work towards that once my progress begins to slow.

- Another big change I made to increase my DL is changing the low bar back squat for the front squat, done with a clean grip. This has helped my DL tremendously over the past few months.

Both of the above recommendations will help you to get better at the initial pull.

well......i consider myself.......NO EXPERT

but........

a stall at the bottom is a sign of weak quads

lemme guess........you pull more than you squat????

:cool:

Nice tenny

a stall at the bottom is a sign of weak quads

lemme guess........you pull more than you squat????

I'm not a real strong guy, well, for 47 And 210 I am, but I squat just a little more than I dl. So I'm guessing it's a good muscle balance. But I did get a very cold brush off by some women at the gym tonight. Maybe she didn't like my workout partner - my wife. :rolleyes:

And ummm, 500 for a few reps is pretty awesome for someone who is not a competitive power lifter. So don't bitch. Bitch. :p

Last edited:
My squat is pretty solid. Can do deep Olympic style squats with five for a few. I have done 405 front squat below parallel but no way could I do it now. Only did them for three or four workouts. Just found holding the bar to be so i unnnatural. May try them with a clean grip always did them the crossed arms bodybuilder style of

Btech

Any tips on holding the bar using clean grip... the crossed arms style just too impractical.

Btech

Any tips on holding the bar using clean grip... the crossed arms style just too impractical.

Being able to front squat with a clean grip is like a kid riding a bike - you can do it, but you have to work your way into it. If you make it a goal to learn it, you'll learn it. Doing hang or power cleans will help to enforce this (they work GREAT as a first lift before you squat or pull).

Old School

guys i used to train with would deadlift off a box ( 4-5 inches) for around 8 weeks. every one of them would increase their dead when returning to normal pull off the floor by at least 50 lbs. even more effective was off the box with a wide grip ( olympic snatch width). all these guys ended up over 700 lbs ranging from 181-242 lb weight classes. it was normal for some of them to only train on the box returning to normal pull from the floor for the last 3 weeks leading up to a contest. this was late 1970's to early 1980's . worked then, should work now.

3 things helped my dead.

only pull twice per month

glute ham work

rolling the bar towards shins then dropping low like a squatting

mind you as the others have said if you dont want to pull as a powerlifter then 450-500lb sets for reps will build plenty of mass and good traps.

for front squat comfort i have found the cross arm the most effective for me. i can actually get the bar to sit in the clavicle grooves without even holding it.

keep your arms not just crossed but up high almost eyeline

Heavy good mornings, heavy deficit/rack deads, lots of hip work.. These have all made my brothers dead and squat ridiculous. He squats abt 625lbs and deads abt 730lbs

opposite stance deadlift will benefit more than anything

if you pull conventional, do a few weeks of sumo

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner