over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for you tall guys out there...

NoVaDriver

Registered
I'm 6'-3", so obviously squats and deadlifts always prove interesting in my scenario.

For squats, I usually do sumo (wide stance) and am pretty much limited to going down to parallel. I just can't get that nice 85-80 degree angle that other guys get. Anyone else experience this too?

Deadlifts I can manage easily sumo, but I get destroyed if I do regular stance. My back rounds out wayyy too much.

6'8" here. I've had much better luck doing squats on the smith machine. One key to success here is to not "cheat" yourself by pushing back against the guide bars. To keep your form, try tipping your head back almost like you're trying to pinch the bar with your neck. I also like to slip some 5lb plates under heels to keep the pressure off the balls of my feet.

All in all squats and deads seem to be tougher for us tall guys, just don't let it be an excuse for slacking in the gym and give it 100% every time.

I'm 6'2-6'3 myself, and come from a power lifting back ground prior to my bodybuilding. Squatting and dead lifting defiantly didn't come as easy to me as it did to some of my shorter power lifting buddy's. My trainer as a teen age lifter use to tell me I had the worse form he had ever seen when it came to dead lifts.
I never let the fact that being a little taller made my lifts feel unnatural slow me down though. I have pulled 770 in comp and hope to hit 800 soon this done regular stance in a wrestling singlet. The one thing I would advise you of, if dead lifting and squatting for aesthetic means do not go sumo deads are wide stance sq. I personally don't believe sumo deads are wide squats produce near the aesthetic results. Just look at a guy that deads 800 regular stance and a guy that deads 800 sumo it's a whole different look.

I have actually found that taller guys can generally deadlift more than shorter guys unless you are freakishly tall. But squatting has always been a shorter mans game.

Interesting, bignick. Haha, your trainer story reminds me when I started first working out about two years ago with my cousin. He first showed me how to do the starting position, then when I tried, he said, "You're fucking scaring me, man..." lol

6`2 here

I find low bar squats much easier to do rather than having the bar higher up on shoulders, dead lifting = easy for us cause more leverage

Ya I still pull with a pretty rounded back kind of looks like a half as stiff leg dead at times. Hey it works got my deads in the 800 pound range now. I credit a lot of my back thickness and development to heavy deads.

It's kind of funny actually. Given my size overall, I've got a beast of an upper back but a pretty damn weak lower back. I avoided doing deadlifts and squats until about 7 months ago because I was concerned about a previous severe back injury messing things up. I had three compression fractures in my lower back in high school. So now I'm constantly wary of my form if my lower back is involved. I've noticed, however, since starting deadlifts and squats my chronic back pain has actually decreased.

Do any of you guys notice some hip joint pain doing squats with a regular stance? I can feel it especially coming up. I usually go for slow downward movements and explosive upward. The pain is not unbearable, but it concerns me. Any advice?

im 6'7 and I feel like it can be a detriment. I have knee and shoulder problems. lately I stick to parallel box squats(max is currently 405 for 3ish reps) and my conventional style deadlift max is 455. let's not talk about my weak ass bench from effed up shoulders and terribly long arms. being tall can really suck on many levels. let's not forget how long limbs and torso make you look so much less thick and muscular than short guys.

now I'm bummed out

6'1 - really foam roll the IT Bands, and do a lot of hip mobility work, and try holding the bar lower on your back, will place more stress on the hips than the knees.

6'2 I deadlift standard were I scrap my sheen's on the way up. It is the one powerlifting move I can still do. Squats I just do to the front can't roll my arms behind my back anymore lol.

im 6'7 and I feel like it can be a detriment. I have knee and shoulder problems. lately I stick to parallel box squats(max is currently 405 for 3ish reps) and my conventional style deadlift max is 455. let's not talk about my weak ass bench from effed up shoulders and terribly long arms. being tall can really suck on many levels. let's not forget how long limbs and torso make you look so much less thick and muscular than short guys.

now I'm bummed out

But chicks love tall guys. We also do better in the long run with bbing. It takes a lot longer to fill out our huge frames, but look at some of the best bodies in history: Arnold, Ferrigno, etc. Hell, even Christian Bovig has a lot of mass on him.

I agree it's easier for short guys to get thick, but if you stick with it and can manage to eat 7k cals a day, you'll be a monster.

and not to mention we can always get bigger(muscle wise) while the shorter dudes cant get taller ;)

I'm 6'-3", so obviously squats and deadlifts always prove interesting in my scenario.

For squats, I usually do sumo (wide stance) and am pretty much limited to going down to parallel. I just can't get that nice 85-80 degree angle that other guys get. Anyone else experience this too?

Deadlifts I can manage easily sumo, but I get destroyed if I do regular stance. My back rounds out wayyy too much.

I am the same height as you. I also use a wider stance when I squat, but I actually do this because I have had problems with my knees, and I find this takes some of the stress off them. Naturally, when you take a wider stance, it is harder to go deeper. Parallel or just below parallel is fine IMO

I have actually found that taller guys can generally deadlift more than shorter guys unless you are freakishly tall. But squatting has always been a shorter mans game.

I agree...I have always been naturally strong on deadlift, without even training it that much...

6'2 I deadlift standard were I scrap my sheen's on the way up. It is the one powerlifting move I can still do. Squats I just do to the front can't roll my arms behind my back anymore lol.

is your external rotation that bad?

6'2. A lot of what's been mentioned are consistent with my experiences. I've always been able to deadlift 500+ lbs even as a newbie, though squats have been a chore to progress on. I found widening my stance made a positive difference, though for me leg press/hack squats tend to work better. They take the height awkwardness out of it.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws