over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question-Lifting How Long?

Viking55

Registered
Aloha PM,

Started lifting when I was 12 with a 110 lb weight from Sears that my dad bought for I and my brother. They were filled with sand. I've been lifting and training ever since-- I'm 56 now.

A hui ho,
V55

Aloha PM,

Started lifting when I was 12 with a 110 lb weight from Sears that my dad bought for I and my brother. They were filled with sand. I've been lifting and training ever since-- I'm 56 now.

A hui ho,
V55

the sky is the limit

My dad finally caved and bought me the same sand filled Sears set when I was 12 back in 1976. He was dead set against it because he didn't want to spend the money on something I'd use for a week and then never again.

34 years later I'm still pounding away, having gone non-stop.
He was partially right though. I don't use the Sears weights anymore. :headbang:

My lifting began at age 13 with an old wagon axle in a buddy's back yard. We did deadlifts, overhead presses and sometimes rigged a couple of chairs together and used it to bench press. We got our hands on an olympic set and a real bench not long after and, while my buddy quit, I've been training ever since. I took a couple of breaks over the years, but never for very long. I'm 30 now, so 17 years lifting.

Begged my parents for a weight bench when I was in 5th grade (11 yrs old). I remember my football coach going nuts when I benched 200 lbs as a 7th grader. Am 36 now so 25 yrs invested. Never have took off more than a week voluntarily in all that time. Prob why my shoulders are shot, my hips ache, my knees crack and my elbows pop.....LOL! Wouldnt change a thing.

Z

Aloha,

Z I hear you brutha. Soon to have a hip revision (2 weeks) with extensive bone grafting in my hip. Rt. hip will be due down the road. Lt. shoulder from heavy bench in 88 while training for a show.. Two serious back injuries, luckily no surgery, rehabbed them myself. Rt. knee scoped in 89, needs some stem cell injections. As a matter of fact I need to have an IV of stem cells. LOL

Still I adapt and continue to lift and train, albeit with much more wisdom. There is something unique about the 'pump/ feeling' from lifting weights that I don't experience form anything else--period!!

A hui ho,
V55

Started lifting at 17 when I went into the USMC in 1973 weighing about 170lb.
Was a power lifter in the late 70's to early 80's, 275lb and super heavy wight class. Now with booth knees replaced, left shoulder replaced and a metal cage holding my low spine together I still make it to the gym about five days a week.:headbang:

31 yrs. I was the luckiest "bad kid" in the world. I got sent away to live in a
small rural town. The school was the last in the state with modular scheduling.The gym teacher was an old super hardcore powerlifter.
I was able to wt train on study halls and wt training was an actual credit paying class. I was always a really strong kid and this guy let me train
to keep my agression level in check.When I started school that fall I was 130lbs. By thanks giving I was 180 and still lean. Tons of farm food, milk from the cow and we slaughtered our own meat.Heavy high rep puking squats and basic lifts. It worked. I stopped by to see him when I was about 29-30. I was about 295 lbs and could move some pretty big iron.He looked like the proudest guy! He was stoked. I had walked in on his wt training class and there were kids just like I was 13-14 years earlier. When I was leaving
he winked and said be careful with uh the vitamins, I know you will.
What a great guy and a giant blessing in my life(saved mine).
Sorry bout the long ramble but that story would make no sense to civilians.
Thanks JRC

Last edited:
Aloha,

Spot on Turbo. Without weigth training and and the sports I also played, I would of frequented a 'lot more dark' places...probably wouldn't even be alive today....

V55

I've been training since age 13, and I'm 43 now. Only extended layoffs were for back and knee surgery.

I am 53 and started at age 13 with the old Sears set as well. My father gave the set to my brother and I and I have never stopped. Mind you I have had lay-offs for knee surgeries.

started with a bowflex when i was 14, would spend hrs on it everyday. a year passed and i didnt look any bigger, finally realized the bowflex sucked and joined a real gym. havent had more than a week off (which happends very rarely, might i add) since then :cool:

I started with the sand weights at 13, but started with push ups and situps around grade 4. By 9th grade I could do 600 pushups non stop. I know most people call BS, but it is the truth. I was extremely OCD and felt the need to start doing pushups every morning by 0605hrs. I woke up at 0600. By 9th grade and the 600 pushups I was 5'5 135lbs of shredded muscle.lol Actually funny because I had pec striations and probably 4%bf. It was then that I used olympic weights for the first time and shortly after gave up on pushups. By my senior year I was 5'7 175 lbs at 5-6% bf and could bench 350. At this point I only benched, curled and did pullups. I think when someone starts young and hgh llevels are high it somehow changes your natural limit. Almost everyone I know that started early seemed to have an edge. Sad thing is , it took me another 20 years to get up to 230 bw and a low 500's bench. I guess I started off strong, but after looking back, it took 20 years to gain another 50 lbs of bw and gain 180 on my bench. During that time I experimented with just about anything I could and never really noticed any huge gains. Maybe a plateaued early. Never went crazy, but did several cycles over the years. Now at 40 I am heading the other direction after several injuries:torn labrum, rotator , back and neck etc. I guess now I am only about 100 lbs over where I was in high school strength wise and am on hrt for life.

Thought it was a good story, but to answer the OP question. 27 years!!!

I started lifting weights in 1983 when i was 11.
My baseball coach wanted me to put sum velocity
on the ball, and then i was hooked.
Unfortunatly i cant seem to stick with it more than
and 3 yrs or so.

started when I was 14 ..me and a friend of mine had a bet who would come back bigger over summer

the year aprox 1982--internet? i think there was but no one but the school had a -- 1 computer - and it used the old telphone modem..put the actual reciever on a modem lol -- and no one was suppose to use that..was locked up

I was 5 foot even inches and weighed 102 lbs

Believe it or not i came back at 136 5 foot 2 though

Ordered some weightlifing course that came every week

was pretty cool..unfort I had no clue about supplements or food after weightlifting...i was pretty freaken slow..still am :headbang:

Joe weilder mags..thats all i had to go by--Gaspari ...Platz ...Oh my

never did legs..and still don't but I have a feeling that will change.

Couldnt walk for days...

Stopped at age 22 weighed 180 - just started again im in my 40s...

Last edited:
31 yrs. I was the luckiest "bad kid" in the world. I got sent away to live in a
small rural town. The school was the last in the state with modular scheduling.The gym teacher was an old super hardcore powerlifter.
I was able to wt train on study halls and wt training was an actual credit paying class. I was always a really strong kid and this guy let me train
to keep my agression level in check.When I started school that fall I was 130lbs. By thanks giving I was 180 and still lean. Tons of farm food, milk from the cow and we slaughtered our own meat.Heavy high rep puking squats and basic lifts. It worked. I stopped by to see him when I was about 29-30. I was about 295 lbs and could move some pretty big iron.He looked like the proudest guy! He was stoked. I had walked in on his wt training class and there were kids just like I was 13-14 years earlier. When I was leaving
he winked and said be careful with uh the vitamins, I know you will.
What a great guy and a giant blessing in my life(saved mine).
Sorry bout the long ramble but that story would make no sense to civilians.
Thanks JRC

sounds like an interview i read not too long ago, i have been lifting for 18 none stop.

Begged my parents for a weight bench when I was in 5th grade (11 yrs old). I remember my football coach going nuts when I benched 200 lbs as a 7th grader. Am 36 now so 25 yrs invested. Never have took off more than a week voluntarily in all that time. Prob why my shoulders are shot, my hips ache, my knees crack and my elbows pop.....LOL! Wouldnt change a thing.

Z

hahha hell ya bro.......ive been due for an over haul on the shoulders for a while:)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear