over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question Regarding Carb Sources

natrol

Registered
So I'm starting to take peri-workout nutrition more seriously lately but one thing I was unsure about is the effects on fat gain of different carb sources. I was under the impression that spiking your insulin with fast digesting carbs intra-workout was optimal for fending off muscle breakdown, but then the newer exotic carb sources are being advertised for their ability to not spike insulin as badly.

For example, dextrose is pure sugar and is super sweet, so it will elicit a very strong insulin spike if used intra-workout with your eaa's or hydrolyzed caseinate, but hbcd's have a faster gastric emptying rate but elicit a lower insulin response, but are somehow more ideal? I understand the benefit of having the fastest digesting carb possible in your arsenal, but if you were to use something like dextrose which is slightly less quick but elicits a greater insulin release why would this be less beneficial if the goal of intra-workout nutrition is to shuttle nutrients to the muscle?

In addition, if I were to opt for something cheap like dextrose or maltodextrin intra-workout, would I gain far more fat eating the same caloric intake with dextrose in my intra-shake vs. maltodextrin because dextrose is pure sugar vs. malto has 0 grams sugar (assuming my caloric intake is exactly the same regardless of which I chose)?

Last edited:
Dam this is some serious shit.
Everyone is different. Just gonna have to experiment. Like for me I do not consume anything intraworkout. I want my stomach empty. I want my blood in my muscles and my body training. Not trying to focus on digestion at the same time.

I wouldn't be concerned about spiking insulin. I've done 20 iu log pre workout, post c workout and sometimes both so 40iu log in 3 hour period with a shit ton of carbs. If anything I got leaner and I wasn't using gh either. I've used dextrose intra workout with v slin and it worked just as well as the expensive carbs exept I bloated a little

Dam this is some serious shit.
Everyone is different. Just gonna have to experiment. Like for me I do not consume anything intraworkout. I want my stomach empty. I want my blood in my muscles and my body training. Not trying to focus on digestion at the same time.

Same hear. I eat very little pre workout and 0 carbs. So much stronger this way. I hammer carbs and If needed slin post workout these days

A guy at my gym uses slin and doesn't like drinking his carbs so he carries around a bag of sour patch kids and eats them and sips on a shaker of bcaas/creatine in between sets. Haven't used insulin myself but that approach is enticing since I'm not big on drinking carbs either.

A guy at my gym uses slin and doesn't like drinking his carbs so he carries around a bag of sour patch kids and eats them and sips on a shaker of bcaas/creatine in between sets. Haven't used insulin myself but that approach is enticing since I'm not big on drinking carbs either.

Will work just as well imo and is a cheap way to do it

But the whole point of having a shake is for the rapid absorption, an HBCD carb drink will clear so much faster than a bunch of sour patch kids and wont cause as much of an upset stomach, which what a lot of people notice when using dextrose or malto as well as your stomach having to break down solid food.

I guess there are more than 1 way to skin a cat..

But the whole point of having a shake is for the rapid absorption, an HBCD carb drink will clear so much faster than a bunch of sour patch kids and wont cause as much of an upset stomach, which what a lot of people notice when using dextrose or malto as well as your stomach having to break down solid food.

I guess there are more than 1 way to skin a cat..

Oh I agree it probably isn't as ideal as a hbcd or carbolyn, just the way that guy does it. He said he used to drink his carbs but he prefers this way because he is less likely to eat candy later in the day if he does during his workout lol. Kinda funny to see a massive dude pulling sour patch kids out of his pockets in between sets.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear