over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question regarding dialysis

hgh-labs

Registered
I was wondering if you guys could help me out - I have a very good friend that has just found out he will be going on dialysis and he is curious the impact this will have on him lifting weights - he is a power lifter and it has been part of his life for over 20 years and he not willing to quit just yet :D

is anyone here or does anyone have a friend that is on dialysis and still trains/competes? how have they found that dialysis has impacted on their lives?
how does it effect their training?

any info that would help would be great

thanks in advance
hgh - labs

Don Long is on dialysis to this day..I think...might want to hit him up on facebook or is site...im not sure though....good luck with your friend...I hope he is ok...:eek:

I think supplementing with HGH might help to some degree with kidney support.

I'm curious as well..I just recently had a buddy have his kidneys shut down from rec. drugs and gear,he didn't touch the rec's for years but the damage had been done,then I think pro-hormones is what set it off..he is only 32 and will be on dialysis for the rest of his life..I would like to give him some info. I feel so bad for him..makes you think sometimes of what can happen.I told him to leave the pro-hormones alone..I think he was using them as a bridge.I have seen some of these things with two to three different compounds in them.

The truth....dialysis is rough. You go on the machine for approximately 3 hours, than you're exhausted for the rest of the day, minimun. Can easily last the next day. Destroys your red blood cells, so they use an EPO. Practically anything circulating in your blood is filtered our. Infection is a constant concern as are electrolytes. Don't know how this will affect your friends lifting schedule as everyone is different. If it's temporary, he should just take some time off. Tell him good luck and dont let it get him down.

Experience with dialysis

I have worked in dialysis as an RN for 10 years. How old is your friend? Initially hemodialysis is quite stressful on the body. Most of my patients report lethargy, decreased appetite, and at times depression. Dialysis is usually prescribed 3 times a week either M-W-F or T-Th-Sat. The biggest change other than coming in for treatment is the renal diet. This diet is one of the most bland and strict in the medical community. It is important to follow the diet as close as possible and adhere to the fluid restrictions ordered by the MD. Also your friend must take all the medications as prescribed by his doctor. The biggest issues we see are noncompliance with diet and fluid restriction. This increases patient morbidity exponentially. All that being said if he goes to tx and follows the diet he can lead a productive life. If he is young, say below 50, weight training could be done. The body goes through many changes while on dialysis. Tell him to not get discouraged, take baby steps, and follow MD recommenations. I have worked with some patients that have been on dialysis for close to 30 years. God Bless. PM me if you need any more info.

Question r/t ur friend?

Is he on the transplant list? If not have him speak with someone at his center or hospital and ask to be put on. There maybe a waiting period after starting dialysis for this to occur. I have seen patients improve greatly if the kidney transplant takes.

thanks to everyone for your replies - all info will help at the moment

I have worked in dialysis as an RN for 10 years. How old is your friend? Initially hemodialysis is quite stressful on the body. Most of my patients report lethargy, decreased appetite, and at times depression. Dialysis is usually prescribed 3 times a week either M-W-F or T-Th-Sat. The biggest change other than coming in for treatment is the renal diet. This diet is one of the most bland and strict in the medical community. It is important to follow the diet as close as possible and adhere to the fluid restrictions ordered by the MD. Also your friend must take all the medications as prescribed by his doctor. The biggest issues we see are noncompliance with diet and fluid restriction. This increases patient morbidity exponentially. All that being said if he goes to tx and follows the diet he can lead a productive life. If he is young, say below 50, weight training could be done. The body goes through many changes while on dialysis. Tell him to not get discouraged, take baby steps, and follow MD recommenations. I have worked with some patients that have been on dialysis for close to 30 years. God Bless. PM me if you need any more info.

He is 40 years old and was diagnosed with FSGS about 3 years ago - it was not down to drugs of any description - it all started with a simple kidney infection and his immune system stared attacking the kidneys instead of the infection... Once it was worked out what was wrong the condition was so advanced it was just a question of trying to slow the disorder down - there is no know cure unfortunately and it was always the case that dialysis/transplant was going to happen...

One concern he has is will having the fistula restirct the weight he can move? this is attached to the artery but is it also attached to the muscle?
I really dont think nutrition is a problem as this will all be down to timing and his diet is very strict already as his kidney function is down to 8% - limited water/sodium/potassium etc etc .... he is holding body weight of 120kg @ about 14% bf totally naturally without to much problem even under these conditions..
again many thanks for your help

Last edited:
Dialysis and fistula

hgh,
Does your friend have a fistula yet? From my experience some vascular surgeons are superior to others. If he does not yet have one he needs to shop around for reputable vascular surgeons specializing in fistulas. Most take about 6 months to mature for use. He will be instructed to use the arm to "mature" the fistula. He will be asked to squeeze tennis balls or other device to increase the blood flow. Aesthetically the fistula or graft can be unappealing initially, but I dont think this will decrease his strength in that arm. Possibly some muscle loss. Please tell him to seek out the best vascular surgeon he can. I have seen hundreds of botched fistulas.

I work in the medical field bro and I always take one of my patients to dialysis like 3 xs a week. It's not going to be easy. You're looking at lethargy, low blood pressure (meds for this) some infections, muscle cramps, and clotting just for starters. Hang in there with him and give him a lot of support. Good luck bro., you're in my thoughts and prayers. PAX ET BONUM

Warren

After reading an article in Muscular Dev. mag. about AAS causing kidney damage, I bought a book at Barnes & Noble called Coping with Kidney Disease. By Mackenzie Walser, MD. Professor, Johns Hopkins Univ. School of Medicine. He says that people starting kidney dialysis seldom live longer than 2 years. The only "cure" is a kidney transplant. Anyone using AAS over a period of years is going to have to deal with kidney damage sooner or later. He also states that long term use of NSAID's , including aspirin! will cause kidney damage. Check out you-tube for info on kidney function. Just type in kidney. Each kidney has 1 million tiny filtration units called nephrons and they are easily damaged and once damaged they are gone forever.

After reading an article in Muscular Dev. mag. about AAS causing kidney damage, I bought a book at Barnes & Noble called Coping with Kidney Disease. By Mackenzie Walser, MD. Professor, Johns Hopkins Univ. School of Medicine. He says that people starting kidney dialysis seldom live longer than 2 years.

Statistically this is somewhat true but it's very misleading to make a statement like this without providing all of the facts to back it up.

The reason a large amount of patients (statistically) don't last longer than a handful of years on kidney dialysis is because the majority of patients who start dialysis are the elderly who have many other health issues alongside renal failure. The combination of dialysis and other issues that come with very old age is usually what leads to most dialysis patients passing while on dialysis. Younger, healthier patients can survive on dialysis for nearly their entire lives. Dialysis is not a death sentence.

Bump for a very informative thread that more people should read.

Hgh, best of luck to your friend.

I have taken care of many dialysis patients over the years...

Some of the biggest problems I see are with the shunt that is surgically implanted typically in the forearms... They clot off, etc. and have to be surgically revised, etc.

Also, after dialysis, if too much fluid was taken off, hypotension is a big concern. Lethargy, weakness, etc. are common on dialysis days.

It's a serious problem and he needs to stick to exactly what his doctor tells him to do as far as diet, exercise, supplements, etc.

The kidneys are no longer filtering toxins, they circulate in the blood stream until the next dialysis...

Water intake, etc all needs to be monitored very closely!

There are a lot of factors at play. He needs to listen to his doctors and nurses very closely in his care!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131