over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Questions for people with pec tears

The first pec tear I saw happen was a guy on a smith machine. He got done with his set, and as he was turning the bar back to rack it, that's when it just went.

Bump. No one tore a pec on a smith machine?

To all those who have suffered from pec tears, could you please answer the following questions? I wanna figure out how to minimize the risk of pec tears now that I'm going somewhat heavy.

1) Did you tear your pec during cut or bulk (off season vs. pre contest)

Bulking aiming for 280lbs....was high 60's to low 70's

2) What steroids were you taking at the time of the injury?

Oxy, Dbol, Test

3) What exercise did you do when the muscle tore?

Seated front press

4) In what position of the pressing movement were you when the muscle popped? stretch, midway, or close to the top?

As the drive up began....the first negative felt fine

5) How quickly did you move the weights? So, explosive reps or slow controlled ones?

At the time i was training explosively

6) Did the muscle tear during the eccentric (going down) or concentric (going up) part of the movement?

Concentric

7) How many sets for chest did you do before?

It was delt front press it tore, 2nd exercsie

8) Do you feel you were warmed up properly?

Yes

9) Did you have aches and pains in the pec area in the weeks before the tear?

No

10) Do you feel like you were overtrained?

No

11) How many reps did you plan to complete in the set that the muscle tore?

4-6

Many thanks!

As above.

how about the dips / dip machine exercise?

what would you say is the best rep range to avoid it? what was the rep range you were doing?

To all those who have suffered from pec tears, could you please answer the following questions? I wanna figure out how to minimize the risk of pec tears now that I'm going somewhat heavy.

4) In what position of the pressing movement were you when the muscle popped? stretch, midway, or close to the top?
5) How quickly did you move the weights? So, explosive reps or slow controlled ones?
6) Did the muscle tear during the eccentric (going down) or concentric (going up) part of the movement?

Many thanks!

1. Bulk
2. Test and Winstrol
3. Flat Bench
4. Midway
5. Explosive
6. Concentric
7. 5 sets
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. No
11. 6 reps, happened on #6

Partial tear, no surgery needed. I did feel a nasty pop. Have used ice, TENS unit, PEG MGF and rest to get through this. started rehab with light weight very high reps, slow and controlled lifting.

This is probably the 5th time I have torn the pec insertion. Mostly with flat bench but also with dumbbells and with Hammer strength. I had another freak one happen helping a guy put on his bench shirt. Pushed down on the sides with my elbow and pop....there goes the pec. Shit happens, we just have to heal up and learn how to not push it so far the next time.

Last edited:
Off season

Natty

Flat bb bench press

Bottom. Initiating press from the stretch position upwards.

Slow reps

Concentric

Can’t remember. 2006. It was on the last set. Shooting for 3-4 reps. Happened on second rep

Warmed up yes. Hydrated, not really.

No

No

3-4

Thanks for all the answers, very interesting.
Though I realize now I missed another crucial question: 13) How many percent heavier were your weights in chest exercises compared to 2 weeks before the pec tear? So for example, 20% heavier weights when the pec tear happened compared to where you were 2 weeks before that.
Increasing weights too quickly (especially thanks to things like adrol or tren) is probably one of the biggest risk factors for muscle tears.

Many thanks!

1) neither
2) test only, trt dose (dr prescribed) 200mg/week
3) flat BB bench press
4) at the bottom, 1/4 up, coming up from the stretch
5) controlled but not slow negative, then explode on positive
6) it was at the end of the eccentric as I was transitioning into the positive
7) not sure how many, but it was a lot. I did tons of low rep warm up sets, ramp up sets really, making no big drastic jumps in weight. Thought I was being safe, lol. 445 on the bar when it tore
8) I did, see above post. Being older (this was 5 years ago, I was 37 at the time) and still trying to lift heavyI was very careful to work up slowly and be nice and warmed up
9) no aches and pains prior to tearing
10) DEFINITELY was overtrained. This was during my brief six month stint of trying crossfit. Only because my friend had opened up a box and invited me to try it out. Wasn't true crossfit, the trainer at the time was running a bastardized 5/3/1 program, with a 20 minute met-con at the end. He had us doing true 1,2, or 3 rep maxes EVERY week. I knew better but pride got the better of me, not wanting to seem like I couldn't hang (dumb). The tear happened on the 5th week of maxing out
11) I had done 435 for a solid triple the week before, so I was aiming on hitting 2-3 with 445 that day. Tore on the first rep

I was lucky. I had a great surgeon who repaired it. I have a pretty decent scar, but no asymmetry and no real effect on my function. Post surgery and rehab was a killer though, very painful and slow rehab

Never barbell benching again after reading this thread. DB press and hammer press only from now on

Never barbell benching again after reading this thread. DB press and hammer press only from now on
That's a tempting conclusion to draw from the responses, but one has to be careful. The fact that most people got pec tears when doing flat BB benchpress could simply be because that's how 90% of people do their heaviest sets for chest.
So if they had replaced flat BB press with dumbells or machines, they may still have torn their pecs. it's just that most people rely on it as their main heavy pressing movement.
That being said, it makes sense from a biomechanics perspective that the risk is highest with the rigid and somewhat unnatural movement that BB pressing imposes. And let's not forget the risk of shoulder injuries that is also higher with flat BB presses.

Damn anadrol. Involved in many of these tears.

It certainly does it's job.. My last run with it I had to pull back on the weight because it had been over a year since I ran it and knew that the strength was going up to quickly. Mostly stuck to hammer strength though anyway.

Anyone ever tear their pec doing a movement out of the ordinary? I did see that someone tore it on a seated shoulder press, but would imagine you would have to be arched back quite a bit. Hammer strength?

Partial tear (thankfully), i was natural and the old heads told me a few years before (i hit 405 at 19 and 190lbs)... Once over 405 the risk for tear is greatly increased.

I had 515 on the bar( bodyweight of 220)and was planning on doing a double. Brought the weight down and i could hear a lot rip. Scared the shit out of me.

Busted up both elbows doing crazy tricep exercises (225 lying tricep extensions)..
Couple bad disks in my lower back from YEARS of heavy squats.

I don't think anyone will take the advice (i didn't) but the heavy weight is NOT needed. Especially on cycle. Hitting the muscle hard is. I will be 45 this year. i WISH i had my joints back and knew back then

That's a tempting conclusion to draw from the responses, but one has to be careful. The fact that most people got pec tears when doing flat BB benchpress could simply be because that's how 90% of people do their heaviest sets for chest.
So if they had replaced flat BB press with dumbells or machines, they may still have torn their pecs. it's just that most people rely on it as their main heavy pressing movement.
That being said, it makes sense from a biomechanics perspective that the risk is highest with the rigid and somewhat unnatural movement that BB pressing imposes. And let's not forget the risk of shoulder injuries that is also higher with flat BB presses.

Yea, as i learned in a real world scenerio... when the bar is coming down and you are a few inches off your chest... the load on your pec delt tie-in is UNREAL! Those tendons that are attacted to .. that you can feel if you hold your arms straight out to the side. I liken it to a rubber band that is being stretched. You keep loading the weight on (especially if you're not a big guy).. eventually that band is going to pop

Just to add to the smith machine question. It is not a natural motion and is harder on your body then free weight bench. If you want to minimize the risk of a pec tear keep your shoulders back and tight and bench more like a power lifter. Not sure if it was a tear or what but two diffrent times I attempted 405 I did something that burned and took a few months to heal. Never went to doc so don't know what it was. Now I just go higher reps. I personally wouldn't bother with 405 again unless I thought I could do at least 10 reps but I dont ever see me hitting that point. Lol

DC has been preaching this for years. Unfortunately I only learned of it after the fact. Farewell right pec minor tendon. Fully torn off the bone and never repaired.

DC has been preaching this for years. Unfortunately I only learned of it after the fact. Farewell right pec minor tendon. Fully torn off the bone and never repaired.

DC is against barbell bench for the same reason? Even more reason enough for me to stop. I'll consider myself lucky for doing it 14 years without issues but I want it to stay that way.

I remember following both layne Norton’s and big Dave smiths recoveries. They persevered...

Flat bench has always been my staple Mark for telling me where I’m at strength wise. It’s always kind of been my “prideful” gym exercise. But as I get older and continue to have shoulder irritation and cringe at the thought of tearing a pec again, I am also probably going to let it go. At least heavier sets. My last few chest workouts I started with incline barbell and moved to dumbbell incline, then went to the hammer machine, then did a few light sets of flat bench and from there did cable crossovers.

A lot of us probably over the years have taken a lot of pride in flat bench as it’s what everyone compares you to. But I’ve learned all pride and ego in the gym does is get you injured. I don’t give a shit if someone can lift more at bench anymore..next to me, they can deal with the year long recovery from a pec tear as I’m going to try to avoid it. To have a perfect chest, you do not need flat bench. There’s other ways to get there. Much more safely.

Like an idiot I was doing smith incline wide grip to the neck. I knew it was a high risk movement but since I was going for 12 reps with controlled execution I figured it would probably hold.

I feel like I see a correlation between mostly doing inclines and poor upper chest development. Counterintuitive I know.

I highly recommend a Slingshot for anyone with injuries that impact their bench press. And if you don't have injuries it's a great way to bench heavy while minimizing injury risk.

https://markbellslingshot.com/

Like an idiot I was doing smith incline wide grip to the neck. I knew it was a high risk movement but since I was going for 12 reps with controlled execution I figured it would probably hold.

I feel like I see a correlation between mostly doing inclines and poor upper chest development. Counterintuitive I know.

The causation probably runs in the opposite direction. People who genetically have weak upper chest try to compensate by doing more incline work. But chest genetics are hard to counteract with exercise selections

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws