over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Questions for people with pec tears

MyNameIsJeff

Kilo Klub Member
To all those who have suffered from pec tears, could you please answer the following questions? I wanna figure out how to minimize the risk of pec tears now that I'm going somewhat heavy.

1) Did you tear your pec during cut or bulk (off season vs. pre contest)
2) What steroids were you taking at the time of the injury?
3) What exercise did you do when the muscle tore?
4) In what position of the pressing movement were you when the muscle popped? stretch, midway, or close to the top?
5) How quickly did you move the weights? So, explosive reps or slow controlled ones?
6) Did the muscle tear during the eccentric (going down) or concentric (going up) part of the movement?
7) How many sets for chest did you do before?
8) Do you feel you were warmed up properly?
9) Did you have aches and pains in the pec area in the weeks before the tear?
10) Do you feel like you were overtrained?
11) How many reps did you plan to complete in the set that the muscle tore?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Pec tear is to date the only serious injury I've sustained from a lifetime in the gym. (knock on wood) It was a brutal injury

1. I was just a gym rat, not on any gear
2. Nothing
3. Flat bench, 275, 6th rep. I was tired that day and did not feel like training.
4. Just coming up off my chest. About six inches up I heard it tear through my headphones.
5. I was admittedly kind of tossing the bar up and down. Not slow controlled movements. (I do now, that is for sure)
6. Going up.
7. Was my third set, excluding two warm up sets.
8. Looking back, I was not warmed up enough.
9. I was still slightly sore in the chest from not fully recovered from previous chest workout, yes.
10. Yes, slightly overtrained, or not fully recouped.
11. At that time, 275, was 10 reps, next set would have been 315, for 4-6 reps.

In addition, it took a full year to get back. Counter pushups for 12 weeks only and started flat bench at 135 for weeks before even going to 185. I could have went back heavy, but want to make sure I healed correctly. Was a year until I did reps with 315 again. I can do 315 10 reps now. But likely giving up flat bench all together soon.

To all those who have suffered from pec tears, could you please answer the following questions? I wanna figure out how to minimize the risk of pec tears now that I'm going somewhat heavy.

4) In what position of the pressing movement were you when the muscle popped? stretch, midway, or close to the top?
5) How quickly did you move the weights? So, explosive reps or slow controlled ones?
6) Did the muscle tear during the eccentric (going down) or concentric (going up) part of the movement?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve never had a major but had a couple minor. Both were nearly identical the way they happened

1.both times during bulk
2.what I was on I think deca Test anadrol, and then it was Test and EQ I think
3.barbell incline and barbell flat I no longer do any barbell presses dumbbells and machines only
4. Both were after I had come down and began to press up moved the weight 4-6 inches when it happened.
5. Controlled reps

Don’t remember what set number I was on felt I warmed up good before hand. No aches or pains prior. Both were on my first exercise of the day after warming up. The first time I was shooting to get 3 reps at 275 so heavy set for me not heavy for others. The other time I think I was going for a set of 8-10 but I don’t remember exactly.

For me I feel like mine were from increasing weight too fast both times were after taking time off the gym and trying to rush to get back to where I was. Along with that idk if it’s my form or mechanics but barbell presses obviously don’t agree with me so I stopped doing that.

Sorry to sidetrack but does benching on a smith machine provide a lower risk of pec tears? I would guess yes. Been benching for 14 years and these kinds of stories scare me nowadays with the miles I now have on my body

I was Pretty Juiced when My Gave way!
Mid- March, bulking for 5 mnths and at My Best!
265lbs @ 8%
135 x 15 185 x 12 225x 10 275 x 8 315 x 6 365 x 4 405 x 2 425 x 1
385 x 2 then on 365 my 3rd Rep, would of Done 6 easy it Gave.
Mid Pec Tear with Zero pain but felt it unravel.
I would defiantly say mine was from a Spot injection done early that day.
1 cc mid Pec did it in!
Permanently Deformed but All else is Well, Besides a Knot mid Pec that I can Feel but is not Visible.
Have not Flat Benched Since....All machines!
1 Year Later everything is Back minus a Pec!
Silicone Implant maybe next Winter...lol

I was Pretty Juiced when My Gave way!
Mid- March, bulking for 5 mnths and at My Best!
265lbs @ 8%
135 x 15 185 x 12 225x 10 275 x 8 315 x 6 365 x 4 405 x 2 425 x 1
385 x 2 then on 365 my 3rd Rep, would of Done 6 easy it Gave.
Mid Pec Tear with Zero pain but felt it unravel.
I would defiantly say mine was from a Spot injection done early that day.
1 cc mid Pec did it in!
Permanently Deformed but All else is Well, Besides a Knot mid Pec that I can Feel but is not Visible.
Have not Flat Benched Since....All machines!
1 Year Later everything is Back minus a Pec!
Silicone Implant maybe next Winter...lol
Oh yeah that is another question I should have added. 12) Did you site inject your pecs, and if so how long before the workout
From the answers so far it really seems that flat bench has some of the biggest risk, though I have also heard of people tearing their pec with dumbells.

I injected around 2 hrs prior and I was using the Smith machine.
For a second I thought of doing some D-bell work after it happened until I saw The Knot under my Arm!
Game Over!
Went from 425lbs to 5 lbs 3 weeks later and increased by 10 pounds pr workout for a year.

Many thanks!

1. Bulk
2. Test/Tren/Drol
3. Wide Grip Incline Bench
4. The bottom
5. Slow negatives
6. Beginning of the concentric contraction
7. 12-16
8. No
9. Yes, black and blue for a month
10. No
11. 10-12

1-bulk
2-test tren halo
3-flat bench
4-as soon as I pressed off chest
5-explosive
6-concentric
7-3
8-no
9-yes tweaked pec prior week on incline
10-no just injured from prior incident
11-1

Neither bulk nor cut
500 mgs T, 20 mgs a day dbol
7 weeks out from APF masters Nationals 2004
Tore only the pec not the tendon
10 weeks later I was back to 75-80%

Good post, I had actually been thinking of starting a thread on this same topic. I had a friend tear his pec back in January. He was only on trt, and that's all he has ran for several years. Lifting a light/easy weight, but he did say he wasn't completely recovered from the previous pressing session, and probably wasn't hydrated as well as he could have been. It popped as he was pressing coming off his chest.

I tweaked my shoulder and strained my pec November 2016, and I have been benching close grip ever since then, mainly due to a wider grip not feeling the best on my shoulder. After my friend tore his pec, I have been considering not ever going any wider than shoulder width grip. I DB bench with my elbows tucked tight as well, my shoulders can't handle pressing with elbows flared out.

I had a couple questions for others. Has anyone (or know anyone) who has ever tore their pec with close grip bench (shoulder width grip)? Has anyone ever tore their pec on decline bench?

I think the risk can be reduced by not doing any flat bench movements and also not coming down all the way to touch your chest. Come down to just the point where your humerus bone begins to break parallel with the ground. Going down really far and touching the chest puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the muscle and tendon IMO.

I think the risk can be reduced by not doing any flat bench movements and also not coming down all the way to touch your chest. Come down to just the point where your humerus bone begins to break parallel with the ground. Going down really far and touching the chest puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the muscle and tendon IMO.

After tearing my right pec the only barbell exercise I do are floor presses for this exact reason

For Me it Ripped mid-rep.
The tension on the muscle felt perfectly distributed.
All fibers Firing in Unison.
Had to be the Spot injection!
Completed the Rep with no problem and had 3-4 more easy.

Lesson learned / never try to be 110%.

it will be very useful if people post pics also along with their answers..

I also suffer from this along with other conditions

in my case I had no pain and likely discovered it later and it is a weird atrophy,there is some fissure and like a hollow in the pec.. (different areas)

I put mine (entire chest development area) to bad biomechanics of anything to do with scapula,rear delts,traps,serratues,lev scap and what not it is I have missed on

Sorry to sidetrack but does benching on a smith machine provide a lower risk of pec tears? I would guess yes. Been benching for 14 years and these kinds of stories scare me nowadays with the miles I now have on my body

Bump. No one tore a pec on a smith machine?

This thread makes me only want to do hammer strength machines and flys..

I injected around 2 hrs prior and I was using the Smith machine.
For a second I thought of doing some D-bell work after it happened until I saw The Knot under my Arm!
Game Over!
Went from 425lbs to 5 lbs 3 weeks later and increased by 10 pounds pr workout for a year.

Bump. No one tore a pec on a smith machine?

concreters was on a smith.

Have Not used it Since!
Even though I don't think it was the Culprit, buy Why take a chance...lol

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost