over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quick PWO nutrition question

usd610

Registered
Ok, here is a little background. Im 27 years old, 6'2" 240lbs and about 9-10%bf. Been reading this site for a while and decided to finally post. Ive been training seriously for 8 years now. I always tend to over think things.

For my preworkout meal I take in 10oz of chicken or ground turkey and 1.5 cups of oats an hour before i lift, then superpump by gaspari on the way to the gym. During my workout I drink sizeon which contains about 40 g of carbs. I also do about 15 min of cardio post workout. Here is my question. Currently I just take 50g of whey post workout after my cardio. I used to use waxy maize for a couple years, and 80g of dextrose for a couple years before that. Should I be taking in carbs PWO as well after my cardio?, or would that be overkill since the size on contains carbs? And if so what is the best form of carbs to take in.

I think as long as the MEAL after training has some carbs your good.

What are your current goals? This would dictate what you should do to optimize your intra workout and post workout nutrition.

Currently looking to compete september 22nd in my first show. Currently on 750/wk of test e alone, and trying to maintain my bf or drop a little, while putting on as much muscle as possible for the next few weeks. Then switching it up to prop, tren a, and masteron till im about 1 week out.

My diets pretty decent and clean right now, currently cycling my carbs.

2 high carb days a week, back day and one of my legs days.
4 moderate days
1 low day, which is saturday, my cardio only day

here is my moderate day schedule
wake up meal 1- 2 cups egg whites, 1 cup of oats

meal 2, 10 oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup almonds
meal 3, one hour before workout 10 oz ground turkey, 1.5 cups oats

workout- size on(40g carbs)
PWO- 50g whey

meal 4, one hour after shake- 10 oz chicken, 10oz yam
meal 5, 2 cans tuna or ground turkey, 1 scoop whey 2 cups broccoli, 2 tbsp EVOO

sleep

comes out to about 375g pro, 225g carbs, 55g fats

on high days I have 2 cups oats with meal one, drop the almonds and add one cup of oats to meal 2, and raise it to 2 cup of oats for meal 3. so my pro stays the same, fat goes to about 24g from meal 5, and carbs go up to 360

On my low day I drop all carbs except for meal one while is 1 cup of oats, and replace with eaither 1/ cup almonds, 2 tbsp EVOO, or 4 tbsp of natty PB(only for one meal if at all), so my pr stays the same, fats go up to between 100-125, and carbs go to around 50g

come 9 weeks out I plan on going keto

Just looking at your intra and post workout nutrition, it seems like you are getting enough carbs prior to training and if you are trying to drop BF a little you might do better losing the intra-workout carbs and using something like EAAs during your workout and then after cardio have your PWO shake with some carbs.

Having the EAAs intra-workout will prevent catabolism while providing minimal caloric impact and allowing you to use stored fat/carbs for energy.

That is just how I would do it based on your other meals....

thanks mental flex, i think Im gonna give that a try. Whats the best Post workout carb in your opinion for lean mass gains? Dex, malto, waxy, oats?

thanks mental flex, i think Im gonna give that a try. Whats the best Post workout carb in your opinion for lean mass gains? Dex, malto, waxy, oats?

I prefer a combination. I have used just waxy, just oat starch, and just dextrose and when I'm getting about 100g of carbs from all one source I get bloated.

Right now I either use True Nutrition's Karboload or MG's Powdered Muscle with some additional dextrose (30%), malto (30%) and waxy (40%) and I add in a protein source.

When I get home I either have rice, sweet potatoes or Ezekiel bread as carb sources.

I love making french toast with egg whites and Ezekiel bread.

Understanding that fractional protein synthesis does not increase with amounts greater than 20g of protein intake, and that maximal insulin response is ellicited by as little as 25g of high GI carbs. As well as the fact that 10oz of chicken and 1.5 cups of oats will most likely take at least 4.5 to 5 hours to digest and absorb - lack of nutrients or quantities is not going to be holding you back.

A little light reading:
Optimal protein dose after weight training is twenty grams

Understanding that fractional protein synthesis does not increase with amounts greater than 20g of protein intake, and that maximal insulin response is ellicited by as little as 25g of high GI carbs. As well as the fact that 10oz of chicken and 1.5 cups of oats will most likely take at least 4.5 to 5 hours to digest and absorb - lack of nutrients or quantities is not going to be holding you back.

A little light reading:
Optimal protein dose after weight training is twenty grams

Thanks for the read. I find the last sentences interesting:

"The body’s amino acid requirement in the muscles is greatest during and immediately after a training session. The higher doses that the Canadians used needed more time to be digested and were given too late. If the Canadians had given their test subjects the protein before the training session, then they would have probably discovered that higher doses of protein do provide an extra anabolic stimulus."

Personally, I start drinking a carb/protein shake at the beginning of my training session and leave about 1/3 till the end, when I finish it. Depending on where I am at physique wise it can range from 50g-100g carbs and 50g-75g of protein and it is consumed over a prolonged period of time. According to the above quote, this would appear to be an effective protocol.

Have a read here: **broken link removed**

Gotta love Scott's writing

Agreed. Noted that the topic was regarding Post Workout Nutrition. IMO, Pre and Peri (aka: Intra) workout nutrition are much more productive.

Last edited:
Agreed. Noted that the topic was regarding Post Workout Nutrition. IMO, Pre and Peri (aka: Intra) workout nutrition are much more productive.

Concur.

P.S. I like this forum, I post a lot on Intense Muscle, but PM has a bit more activity.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear