over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quitting Chewing Tobacco

bmm5530

Registered
Hey guys,

At the start of this year I've helped my dad make some changes to his lifestyle to start becoming healthier. He started taking a boxing class 3x/wk that he loves. He started eating much healthier and has noticed a huge difference with this as well.

But the one bad habit he still has is that he chews tobacco, about 5 cans a week. Not only is it obviously a bad habit but also an expensive habit.

Have any of you guys successfully quit? if so, what are some helpful things you did or used?

He has been chewing for about 30 years now and has tried to stop in the past but then started smoking so this wont be easy but I want to try

Does he want to quit?..he's gotta have the full blown desire to end it.
I did a can of Skol a day for years..I faught some pretty strong urges let me tell ya.
I'd say the first thing is try to elevate as much stressful nonsense as possible before he's goes for it, it might seem dumb but it helps.
I did some of the nicotine gum to to calm my nerves a bit at first, I think it helped a lot. Good luck to him, I hope he puts it behind him..the stuff is no good that's for sure.

I chewed Redman for about 5 years in my early twenties...picked it up from hanging with southern ohio hillbillies. I loved it but its definitely a hard habit to kick...much harder than even smoking in my opinion because the nicotine is sky high in chew and its a steady stream that lasts for hours.

I had to quit because I burned my esophagus up pretty bad from swallowing the juice and doc told me if I didn't quit i'd have esophagus cancer in no time. Its been about 15 years since I quit but my gum line in my mouth is still messed up and recceding from using it.

Good luck and hope he finds a way to kick it.

I quit chewing for a year once. I chewed for 7 years previously, the hardest part is the first month or so. Once you get over that you're dad should be fine. Take that for what its worth though I started chewing again recently though (stressful job). Hope the best for your old man.

I dipped for 15 years, the last 5 years I dipped 2 tins a day. the only time I didn't have one in was when I slept and ate. I started getting nervous when I had something growing on my gums, I got a biopsy and it was negative. that scared me so I quit. chewed 2mg Nicorette gum all day for a year then switched to normal gum. I havnt dipped in 3 years, not easy though. I still want to buy a tin sometimes. I love the shit

dipped snuff for years

I dipped snuff for over 20 years and I decided to quit. I used a nicotine lozenge a day by breaking them up. I used them for about three days and I have not dipped since. It was last June since I have chewed. I have cravings still and think about it sometimes but I am so glad I am free from doing it. I wish him the best of luck. The changing of his life habits is the time to give it a shot for sure. He can do it if he truly wants to but it does suck!! LOL:banghead:

Trident layers gum and Google mouth cancer images when the urge strikes hard

First two weeks suck bad but afterwards it's a breeze!!

I cold turkey quit some heavy drugs years and years ago but quitting chew has been quite difficult. I did quit for a year but returned to the habit. I know I have to quit and I'm pretty close. The gum works best because it's most similar to actually chewing. The gum is not supposed to be chewed consistently but tucked away in the lip so I feel mentally it's the best. The biggest factor is the want. Do you really want to quit? Right now that is what's holding me back. I know I should quit but damn I really enjoy it and don't want to. Money is not really a deterrent because it is so cheap. $8 a week for 2 cans. Bottom line he has to want to quit. Doesn't matter who pushes it. Neither do those disgusting pictures because the mentality is the same with this as it is with a lot of things in life. It won't happen to me. I wish him luck. Lord knows I sure need it.

I dipped for 12ish years. Like the rest said he's got to want to. Get mad about it. What got me was seeing a 9 year old cusin walking around with a dip in. Parents just laughing about it. Just pissed me off. So I started cutting back one less dip per day. Then went to the pouches. Only using like 3 a day. Then the last step was sunflower seed.

I have been quit over 5 years and still could eat a can. Lol.

I smoked as a 19 year old kid for a year maybe and quit. Still want one when i drink though luckily I never drink anymore...Chewed for ten years. Quit twice. Both times It was not even planned. First time I just got sick and didnt eat or chew for 3 days then didnt buy any and was off about a year. Then I was offered some at work at a job outside you could spit on floor. I said wtf and did one and seemed to make the day go by. So I started chewing at work. Then home. Then all the time 1can or more a day. The time before when I chewed I often waited all day till I had all meals in me and worked out and would sit in bed relax and chew just once a day....But a can was still only about 4 chews maybe 5. I recently quit again and Ive never really gotten any headaches or whatever many claim. Cravings yes but not anything crazy. Though the hard part is if your in a certain place where others are always doing it and a miserable place at that(my old job) then it makes it so much worse.

If it's a struggle have him see his family physician and ask about Wellbutrin. I was prescribed 300 mg tabs and took it once daily. Right around the two week mark I had no craving for it. Works very well, haven't chewed that crap for 6 months now.

I recently talked to two people who quit smoking with one visit to a hyptnotist. They have been clean 30 years cigarette free since that day.

I often joke that it's easy to quit chewing tobacco. I quit 4 or 5 times a year.

Seriously, the only thing that finally made me quit was when I actually got a tumor. Even after that, I crave it just thinking about it as I type this.

Hi my name is Scott and I've been skoal free for 3 year's

First he must realize it's an addiction. The brain will send messages that makes him crave to satisfy the need for that chemical, nicotine.

Prior to stopping entirely mix up the flavors, he must have his go to one, do not allow him to use that flavor and alternate between all of the others one tin at a time. This may cause a displeasing effect.

Send him to the dentist.

Next try to reduce the total # of cans /tins per week to half. This is easier when friends are not around him that still chew.

Start using chewing gum, food, toothpicks, candy, lollipops, anything to satisfy the oral fixation.

Investigate the use of patches if the cravings are just too strong.

Limit the allowable times during the day to a small window of opportunity.

Eventually, he may want to stop but if he picks it up again only use positive reinforcement to suggest he stop again do not condemn him for failing.

Try a detox / flush. This will clear the body of the chemicals and should provide a good starting point. The initial couple of weeks will be the worst but after the want should dissipate but old habits die hard.

Best of luck.

What got me to stop was when the cost got to be completely outrageous, you could explain to him what he spends per week / month / year on just those products.

I cold turkey quit some heavy drugs years and years ago but quitting chew has been quite difficult. I did quit for a year but returned to the habit. I know I have to quit and I'm pretty close. The gum works best because it's most similar to actually chewing. The gum is not supposed to be chewed consistently but tucked away in the lip so I feel mentally it's the best. The biggest factor is the want. Do you really want to quit? Right now that is what's holding me back. I know I should quit but damn I really enjoy it and don't want to. Money is not really a deterrent because it is so cheap. $8 a week for 2 cans. Bottom line he has to want to quit. Doesn't matter who pushes it. Neither do those disgusting pictures because the mentality is the same with this as it is with a lot of things in life. It won't happen to me. I wish him luck. Lord knows I sure need it.

I agree exactly. I have 15 years clean and I was a mess with drugs. for me quitting chew was harder than drugs. the problem for me was its not like smoking, you don't need to go outside for a cigarette break. I am a laborer so I had a dip in all day. in most cases you can keep even a small one in without looking like a idiot if your around a lot of people. 3 years and I still have thoughts about buying a tin. its not often but they do pop up, not easy

I Dipped for years, and just quit cold turkey. It really wasn't even that difficult. I do miss the calming feeling of a fresh dip in my lip.(I would also use it as an excuse if I didnt particularly like the person I was around so I wouldnt have to talk as much. lol) But the pros dont outweigh the cons..

Wellbutrin and the patch will get him off in no time. You can tapper the patch insanely fast with Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin also makes you feel good.

If there is absolutely no way for him to break the habit of chewing, at least substitute to the Nicotine Lozenges. For me they have a similar effect and are way less dangerous.

Hey guys,

At the start of this year I've helped my dad make some changes to his lifestyle to start becoming healthier. He started taking a boxing class 3x/wk that he loves. He started eating much healthier and has noticed a huge difference with this as well.

But the one bad habit he still has is that he chews tobacco, about 5 cans a week. Not only is it obviously a bad habit but also an expensive habit.

Have any of you guys successfully quit? if so, what are some helpful things you did or used?

He has been chewing for about 30 years now and has tried to stop in the past but then started smoking so this wont be easy but I want to try
Two words...Skoal Cherry. Alternating between cherry and berry Blend ugh!! Its the stuff nightmares are made of lol. If he enjoys Copenhagen he'll have great distaste for these ugly sisters.

Just my 2 cents and I wish him good luck. Its a life change for the better.

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner