over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rack deads Ves Full deads

concreteguy

Verified Customer
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Can you guys tell me how the two hit your bodies differently? I think all that really gets lost is fronts of quads when your not doing full deads.

I'm talking about taking the bar from about two inches below the knee cap verses taking the bar from the floor.

When your doing hacks your still hitting glutes and hams and the rest of the back muscles. But when your taking the bar from the floor the angle of the initial lift will hit your lower lats and mid back much better I.M.O.

How about some thoughts on this?

Question: If your doing squats, is it necessary to do full deads or can you do just racks instead?

CG

Last edited:
I typically use a trap bar with the high handles. I imagine this would be similar to the rack hight you describe. I like these for safety, better quad activation, and the ability to use a slightly larger load.

I do racks now because I got a hernia last year on deads and to be quite honest it isn't worth it to me to keep doing heavy deads and chance reopening it or getting one on the other side (inguinal).

I will say you can obviously go much heavier (i rack pull probably 150lbs more than i deadlift) and its a HELL of a work out for my lower back, lats, shoulders, traps, and of course hamstrings as long as you are doing them correctly like you stated 2 inches below the knees.

honestly as someone who doesn't compete in any kind of powerlifting competitions i think you can do racks and other hamstring/leg exercises and completely avoid off the ground deadlifts and be just as developed as those who do them.

i also do trap bar deadlifts on leg day, which i think is a fantastic exercise as well if your gym has a trap bar.

Last edited:
I do rack deads when I want to hit some heavier weight. It doesn't seem to bother my lower back as much. Then I switch back to full deads when I do lighter weight. Kinda the best of both world, For me it just depends on how my back is feeling that petculiar day

I do racks now because I got a hernia last year on deads and to be quite honest it isn't worth it to me to keep doing heavy deads and chance reopening it or getting one on the other side (inguinal).

I will say you can obviously go much heavier (i rack pull probably 150lbs more than i deadlift) and its a HELL of a work out for my lower back, lats, shoulders, traps, and of course hamstrings as long as you are doing them correctly like you stated 2 inches below the knees.

honestly as someone who doesn't compete in any kind of powerlifting competitions i think you can do racks and other hamstring/leg exercises and completely avoid off the ground deadlifts and be just as developed as those who do them.

i also do trap bar deadlifts on leg day, which i think is a fantastic exercise as well if your gym has a trap bar.
Yes sir rack deads are good to do for more weight than usual on training...Helps build the back a lot more for when you are doing full motion heavyweight dead lifts...

THE REAPER

Yes sir rack deads are good to do for more weight than usual on training...Helps build the back a lot more for when you are doing full motion heavyweight dead lifts...

THE REAPER

This is also true. When I was working on my deads, whenever I would stall I would switch to racks for a few weeks and come back stronger on my deads. Unfortunately it lead to a hernia, but hey, shit happens.

This is also true. When I was working on my deads, whenever I would stall I would switch to racks for a few weeks and come back stronger on my deads. Unfortunately it lead to a hernia, but hey, shit happens.
I've been very fortunate that I haven't had any serious injury from powerlifting... But yes sir brings that strength up very nice...

THE REAPER

I do rack deads most of the time. I will rotate trap bar deads in from time to time as well as suitcase deads using farmer carry handles. IMO...if you aren't going to compete in a powerlifting meet there really isn't any point to lifting super heavy off the floor and risk injury, especially once you start getting a little older. The trap bar and suitcase deads are nice because you can still lift heavy but with the neutral hand/arm position at the side of your body it's a more natural/safer body position.

Full deads = more leg involvement

Rack deads = more back emphasis

my traps grew more on racks then all shrugs and upright rows combine :headbang:

I like floor dead singles for time. Say 12 singles in 10 minutes. Seems to keep the form tighter and less chance of injury.

With rack deads I can use more weight, and I believe that is moved mostly by the back. When pulling from the floor the hip/glutes do most of the work. Much as in full squats.

Only reason I've been deadlifting a lot more the past few years is that I train with powerlifters and I go with the flow. BUT nothing got me thicker in the past then rack pulls. They are superior for back thickness not just in the mid, but my upper back just looks very different when I do them. Traps, rear delts etc.

Started rack pulls again last Friday, figuring I would alternate each week pulls/deads but I liked the feeling so much I might just stick with them for the foreseeable future.

Rack deads I like that I can focus more on form like lowering more slowly, which of course, the slower negative causes more muscle fibers to grow and more muscle on the back.

I do deadliftss now and again because I used to to stiff leg deads on leg day along with deads on back every week for ten years.

I stopped doing straight leg deadlifts and just do regular deadlifts if I want to put more emphasis on hamstrings. In addition to hamstrings working more. my quads seem to have a different look, as in more to my liking when I do deadlifts from the floor

Both movements,heavy, along with working a lot of muscles back there, work the lower traps like no other exercise

LowerTrapezius.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer rack dreads to keep hamstring and lower back involvement to a minimum

switched to only rack deads for the most part due to injury.

you can go very heavy with these, but that then opens you up to more potential for injury.

playing with the form i think you can find better ways to really hit the back with a little lighter wieght, avoid injury and get a great work out.

tp4u had a helpful video showing some of this.

I don't feel deads or RP at all unless I avoided them for months
Deadlift for me are mainly posterior and then rack pulls electors

My coach has me doing both right now to get my new pull goal

Maybe once a month I'll do a traditional dead lift. Majority of my back work outs include rack pulls. Not sure if you ever experience this, but the the 45s at my gym are all hexagon shaped. Meaning during regular dead lifts, when you set the bar down between reps, because of the plate's shape, it never touches the ground flush. I find myself continuity shifting my foot placement.

I switched to rack pulls, exclusively after tweaking my lower back on regular deads a few months ago. I'm older and on the taller side, so I'm trying to avoid any injury at all costs.

Honestly, I feel that rack pulls are better for back development/looks than dead lifts because you are able to target the back with far more weight, the tradeoff being less leg development and less functional strength.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131