over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rambo 2.0: Taking it to the Next Level

Can't actually believe I read 'keep having breakfast'... is this shit for real... This is a pretty advanced bodybuilding site surely thats quite obvious..

6 meals a day

Less complicated drug use 2-3 compounds - maybe increase the doses.

Progressive overload - log book your workouts

Train muscle groups more frequently i.e. 2 times a week - keeping volume lower - upper, lower, legs, push, pull etc

If fat gain is an issue, add in rest pause sets, triple drop sets, tri sets etc for calorific expendature rather than adding in cardio.

Consume majority of carbs around the training window, use fats and protein for other meals.

Get up in the night and eat if you have to, prep meals in advance.

Hire a coach

Yes sir. Good basic advice. I'm basically doing all of these things except hiring a coach at this point in time.

When and if I decide to compete, I will definitely hire a coach then. Right now I'm just a gym rat chasing the dream of a killer physique :headbang:

how old are you again Rambo?

I don't remember...

good to see you getting back to it too!

im working with a kid here who reminds me a lot of you, very similar body, you are much more experienced though.

when getting back to things I like to add stuff slowly.
if it were me I would dial in diet before adding in all the peptides n funky stuff they can play with your appetite quite a bit.

what CG says is soooooo important. it sounds like a broken record but it is the plain boring truth. once you really dial in the diet to where you see a difference with tiny changes THEN you are where you need to be to make progress.

I think the older guys repeat it so much because we have always fallen into the same trap that motivates the younger guys, but that's because we were exactly the same when younger! lol

I personally am constantly reminded of the importance of diet and the progress that can be made with just fine tuning diet and some small performance stuff.

keep at it!

I know you will continue to progress and mutate!

good luck bro!

I'm 26 brother. I definitely know diet is important. I have said this in my previous logs, I didn't see the most dramatic changes till I pushed everything and I mean everything drugs, training, and diet.

A couple of years ago, I used to eat like complete crap. My dieting has come a long way since then. I think I gave off an impression it wasn't important because I didn't go into too much detail in the OP because like I said I just keep it simple. It also throws people off because I eat much less calories then usual. I have a friend who pounds down 3-4kcals just to maintain. He's got 5" on me but I have 20lbs on him with less food.

This actually all leads me to believe that I still have soo much potential left to grow. If I can get my cals up to 4k I'd put on some very serious mass!

Thanks for following brother! By the way, I am up to 1ml of res 3x a week and I am loving it. Not using any AI at all and haven't been getting sick really. It seems that I start to get sick but then it only lasts a day and passes. I feel great considering it has been below 0*F here a few times these past couple of weeks. I don't think it has been over 30*F in the past two weeks.

What's great about Rambo is the fact that he is using such low doses and still getting amazing results and once everything is dialed in and he's running like a well oiled machine it will be nothing less than dramatic!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

So I am thinking about using Syntherol to fill out my chest and/or quads to help them grow. My chest lags because my damn arms take over everything. I am very arm dominant as can be clearly seen. My quads are lacking from an accident back in 2010 that wrecked my knees. They have come quite a way but need some push to help them keep growing.

I read Big A's protocol. 3 rows of 3 sets daily across the pecs. That's 9 shots per side. For quads it's 3 shots per side running down the outside sweep. Doesn't seem like much since JJ has been telling me about his 30+ shots for arms lol!

I've seen a log on quads here before and honestly it looks very easy to do either or both (pecs and quads). Obviously I wouldn't want to jump into too much right away so I am thinking about starting one or the other. I am just wondering which one would be more worth it or easier to start with for anyone who has done this. Quads seem easy especially since it's only 3 shots per side but I have shot AAS in both quads and pecs in these same areas so neither is really a big deal to me.

Thoughts? Elvia & JJ, I know you guys have tons of experience with this. I'd like to hear from guys that have DONE this what they think.

Rambo,

I'll go straight to the point and validate what most already told you in this thread: THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL that diet takes you "to the next level"... all the gear in the world won't compensate for a lack of protein and overall good kcals (needed, as Elvia outlined, to spare amino acids).

Back to basics: AAS increase protein synthesis... what's the point of using them if your meal plan is so deficient in proteins... as a bodybuilder, especially one of a pretty good level like you who wants to keep making progresses, 150g is not "moderate"... it's awfully LOW! :banghead::eek:

Hell, double that amount and it's still gonna be moderate... 300g is the bare minimum if you wanna add some "real" tissue, not just glycogen from your 300-400g carbs.

I really like your attitude and contributions to the board, Rambo, you've been such a great asset to PM since you joined... therefore, I WANT to see you reach your goals! :headbang: But for that to happen, trust me, you'll have to seriously reassess your game plan, ie take into consideration what guys here including myself are telling you... good luck, mate! :);)

Rambo,

I'll go straight to the point and validate what most already told you in this thread: THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL that diet takes you "to the next level"... all the gear in the world won't compensate for a lack of protein and overall good kcals (needed, as Elvia outlined, to spare amino acids).

Back to basics: AAS increase protein synthesis... what's the point of using them if your meal plan is so deficient in proteins... as a bodybuilder, especially one of a pretty good level like you who wants to keep making progresses, 150g is not "moderate"... it's awfully LOW! :banghead::eek:

Hell, double that amount and it's still gonna be moderate... 300g is the bare minimum if you wanna add some "real" tissue, not just glycogen from your 300-400g carbs.

I really like your attitude and contributions to the board, Rambo, you've been such a great asset to PM since you joined... therefore, I WANT to see you reach your goals! :headbang: But for that to happen, trust me, you'll have to seriously reassess your game plan, ie take into consideration what guys here including myself are telling you... good luck, mate! :);)
Thank you brother I appreciate that. You are one I admire. I definitely am taking notes. I've been recomping and cutting the past two years. I know I need to bring those macros up considerably to get where I want to. CG called it immediately, he saw it coming. That's experience. That's why this board is so great and beneficial to me. I really appreciate all the help and motivation.

I just had a shake of 800cals in honor of Elvia, he's been PMing me harassing me saying how he's going to eat a meal that contains Rambo's entire weekly protein intake in one sitting....

[emoji77]

Thank you brother I appreciate that. You are one I admire. I definitely am taking notes. I've been recomping and cutting the past two years. I know I need to bring those macros up considerably to get where I want to. CG called it immediately, he saw it coming. That's experience. That's why this board is so great and beneficial to me. I really appreciate all the help and motivation.

I just had a shake of 800cals in honor of Elvia, he's been PMing me harassing me saying how he's going to eat a meal that contains Rambo's entire weekly protein intake in one sitting....

[emoji77]

:D

Phidias is spot on as usual. Although he hasn't told you his big secret as he doesn't want you to catch up to him. He was struggling but once in added Oasis intra training he blew up :D

As everyone has stated and you already know diet is vital. That's why I lacked progress for a long time as I wasn't consistent with diet. I want to get to the next level too so I will be eating like it everyday. Honestly I can tell by looking at you even if you just added protein every meal you would just build more muscle. I don't even think you would add any fat etc. All the gear, training and peptides etc and the protein combined will just make you grow more.

As guys always say carbs are protein sparing and you don't need too much but your amounts are extremely low. There are guys who recommend extremely low amounts with higher fats and carbs but you are not going to mutant like that. Some guys also go over the top thinking 100g protein per serving will help them but it's far too much. I remember seeing Ronnie Coleman having 100g protein shakes thinking I will try that... not good :D It's unneeded and will just stress out your kidnesy etc over time.

If I had to say a number I would think working up to 50g protein in 7 meals (350g total) would be a nice figure for you. That should be more than enough to help add 10-20 pounds of muscle over the long term.

LOL

[emoji77]

I feel ya bro, with a busy schedule its tuff to eat enough, its been my problem for years, in the morning i eat a couple hard boiled eggs before i leave and then stop at starbucks or dunkins and get an egg sandwich and a coffee before work, shakes will help too, especially if ya load them up with yogurt and EVOO and PB, i tried to get bigger by upping the dose once and didnt get much, so i lowered the dose and upped my food and slowly but surely started gaining again. .

So I am thinking about using Syntherol to fill out my chest and/or quads to help them grow. My chest lags because my damn arms take over everything. I am very arm dominant as can be clearly seen. My quads are lacking from an accident back in 2010 that wrecked my knees. They have come quite a way but need some push to help them keep growing.

I read Big A's protocol. 3 rows of 3 sets daily across the pecs. That's 9 shots per side. For quads it's 3 shots per side running down the outside sweep. Doesn't seem like much since JJ has been telling me about his 30+ shots for arms lol!

I've seen a log on quads here before and honestly it looks very easy to do either or both (pecs and quads). Obviously I wouldn't want to jump into too much right away so I am thinking about starting one or the other. I am just wondering which one would be more worth it or easier to start with for anyone who has done this. Quads seem easy especially since it's only 3 shots per side but I have shot AAS in both quads and pecs in these same areas so neither is really a big deal to me.

Thoughts? Elvia & JJ, I know you guys have tons of experience with this. I'd like to hear from guys that have DONE this what they think.

Syntherol would be amazing for you. If you choose to do it I recommend picking 1 body part so you can put all yout attention into that. Sure if it were between tri-ceps and bi-ceps you could do both easily. But with larger muscle and it being your first time using it's definitely best picking one so all your efforts go into that. It would be too much to do chest and quads. When you have experience with it 2 big muscles would be fine.

It's up to you... both would be great. A guy on here recently had amazing results doing his quads... night and day difference. I haven't done chest but JJ has. It would be interesting to see you do chest as I don't know many who have. As Big A outlined it's definitely best doing the large number of shots spread across to keep things looking natural.

I have thought about doing my quads too. I destroy my legs but they are very stubborn. Even when I start a cycle like now (drugs causing water retention etc) I am getting so full up top but my legs just stay the same. They are rock solid and very tight. Although with the training I am doing now they can only grow.

Whatever you decide to do I will help you out the best I can. Pick one then in the future do the other. I can pretty much guarantee once you use syntherol you will want to use it again in other muscles.

Syntherol would be amazing for you. If you choose to do it I recommend picking 1 body part so you can put all yout attention into that. Sure if it were between tri-ceps and bi-ceps you could do both easily. But with larger muscle and it being your first time using it's definitely best picking one so all your efforts go into that. It would be too much to do chest and quads. When you have experience with it 2 big muscles would be fine.

It's up to you... both would be great. A guy on here recently had amazing results doing his quads... night and day difference. I haven't done chest but JJ has. It would be interesting to see you do chest as I don't know many who have. As Big A outlined it's definitely best doing the large number of shots spread across to keep things looking natural.

I have thought about doing my quads too. I destroy my legs but they are very stubborn. Even when I start a cycle like now (drugs causing water retention etc) I am getting so full up top but my legs just stay the same. They are rock solid and very tight. Although with the training I am doing now they can only grow.

Whatever you decide to do I will help you out the best I can. Pick one then in the future do the other. I can pretty much guarantee once you use syntherol you will want to use it again in other muscles.

I'm thinking chest. I can use some push in that direction. Combined with heavy pressing my chest should blow up.

Woke up this morning took rad140 and ghrp6. Had breakfast of eggs, turkey patties, and pita bread. Waited an hour and a half. Dosed synthetine and 200mcgs of lr3 preworkout.

Hit abs and shoulders. Plate loaded machines are per side. Sipped on 50g of carbs (Gatorade powder) and 10g bcaas intra.

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 23rd January 2016

** Crunch Machine **
- 65.0 lbs x 30 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 30 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 20 reps
- 110.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 20 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 20 reps

** Shoulder Press Machine **
- 45.0 lbs x 22 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 17 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Smith Machine Overhead Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 18 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 55.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 55.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Cable Face Pull **
- 50.0 lbs x 26 reps
- 60.0 lbs x 20 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 18 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 18 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 13 reps

** Machine Shrug **
- 90.0 lbs x 20 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Lateral Dumbbell Raise **
- 35.0 lbs x 13 reps
- 30.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 20.0 lbs x 18 reps

Strength was up. Hit a few rep PRs. Delts were pumped. I got asked if I compete, talk about an ego boost lol. Postworkout I dosed des at 100mcgs in each trap. Showered, shot ghrp6 and drank a large smoothie of milk, water, oats, whey, greek yogurt, and eggs. Going to have a meal in a few.

Chest today.

Chest is weird for me. Once I get a good pump in I can't do anymore. The pump hinders the training. Same with my biceps. I'm using lr3 preworkout as well so that plays into it.

I just got back into pressing on the flat bench so don't make fun of my weak numbers [emoji77]

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 24th January 2016

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 135.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 205.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 6 reps

** Incline Hammer Strength Chest Press **
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 55.0 lbs x 14 reps
- 55.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Seated Machine Fly **
- 100.0 lbs x 20 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 18 reps
- 130.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 130.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Chest Press Machine **
- 70.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 16 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps

Pump was intense. Dosed des in them post.

Had the Wife snap some pics. I can't pose for the life of me and I usually push too hard lol. This time I tried to just take a nice relaxed pose but I still look like a fool!

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Made me laugh............that's funny shit!

CG

I pulled this off the MD site. I think it drives many valuable points home. If your not going to hire a qualified coach, please use this as a guide. My coach even has me drinking the beet juice as we speak............ Putting a GOOD, GROWING diet together is going to be a little work. That's why it cost money. Just apply yourself and you will be fine. Please PM me if I can help! :)

CG

Article:
My twin brother, Tony Prisk, recently came to me with a very common problem. He can’t seem to get his legs to grow. Now, being that we are twins and I was able to build legs to win an IFBB pro card [Dr. Prisk obtained his pro card by winning the welterweight division at the NPC Nationals,] I know that his legs can grow. So this leaves the question, why aren’t they growing? Is it his training? His recovery? His diet? His supplementation?

I asked him about his training in the gym. He said he was doing all the mass movements like squatting heavy, leg press and deadlifts. He was utilizing mass-building techniques like drop sets, negatives and undulating volume. His form was spot on. He was getting enough sleep. He was getting enough rest between leg-training sessions. He was taking a myriad of GNC supplements that I sent him. It turns out that everything was right, except he wasn’t “eating to grow!”

The Concept

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins3First, you have to determine just how many calories you actually need to maintain your weight with regards to total daily energy expenditure. Log your dietary intake for a couple of weeks, weigh yourself first thing in the morning twice a week and see if your bodyweight fluctuates. If it stays the same you need more calories to grow, if it decreases you need even more calories, and if it increases you’re on the right track, but may even then want to add more calories.

Then you need to consider how active you are in the gym or on your job. One way to get a sense of this is to use a wearable calorie-counting device or phone app. Again, these aren’t very accurate so you will have to adjust as you go, but they give you a starting point. Add your extra calorie burn to your caloric needs and then add up to 500 calories. This will ensure you that you are never energy deficient. More calories will help with gaining weight, but you will run greater risk of storing fat.

Second, you have to adjust your macronutrients (carbs, fats and protein) to meet your individual needs. All proteins, fats and carbs are not created equal.

Not All Proteins Are Created Equal

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins1We all know that bodybuilders need more protein than the 0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight that the RDA recommends. The International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) and American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) also agree with this, recommending nearly 1 gram per pound of bodyweight for strength-training athletes.1,2 However, some believe that this may still be insufficient for maximizing gains from heavy resistance training.3 In fact, I believe that counting the absolute number of all grams of protein may be a little misleading, because all proteins are not created equal.

Once we have verified that we are getting the majority of our protein intake from complete proteins, we must also realize that all complete proteins are not created equal. Each protein has different ratios of the essential and non-essential amino acids. Some proteins such as the dairy proteins are particularly rich in the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs; leucine, isoleucine, valine). It turns out that this difference in BCAA content is an important distinction.

A recently published study has shown that when we consume protein in a skewed fashion (like most Americans) with the majority of our protein intake at dinner and much less at lunch and breakfast, we do not maximize our muscle growth potential.4 This study looked at the difference between eating ~10 grams, 15 grams and 65 grams of protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner, respectively, versus eating 30 grams for each meal. By increasing the protein content of the first two meals, it is theorized that a threshold was met whereby muscle protein synthesis was turned on at each meal.

Healthy and Unhealthy Fats

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins2There are essential fats that we can’t live without. Even though recent studies suggest that saturated fat may not be as evil as once thought, if you eat too much when trying to grow you will probably not be at your healthiest. That being said, restricting your cholesterol and saturated fat intake excessively can cause reductions in testosterone production, potentially hindering muscle growth.6 So, if you are not a “hormone supplemented” bodybuilder, extreme limitations of your fat intake can be detrimental to your goals. By maximizing the polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially the omega-3s from fish oils, you are more likely to see some health benefits from eating to grow. I would recommend keeping your fat content above 30 percent of your total daily calories and strictly avoid toxic and inflammatory trans fats. As for all of the macronutrients, getting the majority of your fat from whole (unprocessed) foods will help you to avoid unhealthy fats.

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin, your body’s most anabolic hormone. By consuming more than adequate amounts of carbohydrates with each meal and around your training, you can EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins4maximize strength-training performance in the gym to attain the most adaptive responses for muscle growth. Carbohydrate-deficient diets can limit testosterone production8; whether this is significant enough to limit muscle accretion is not known. Regardless, low-carbohydrate diets can limit strength as glycogen fuels weight training.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends consuming 2.7 to 4.5 grams of carbohydrate per pound bodyweight per day.2 The amount required is very dependent on energy requirements after calculating your protein and fat needs. The more endurance or high-volume training you perform, the more carbohydrate you should consume. Additionally, 0.5 grams of carbohydrate per pound bodyweight will be more than enough in a post-workout meal to restore muscle glycogen stores. Again, whole foods such as yams, potatoes, rice, quinoa and others would be recommended over sugars.

The data about the “anabolic window” has become muddied in recent years. There is data to support consuming protein and carbohydrate within an hour before or after your training. However, other studies have shown that if you are consuming adequate amounts of protein throughout the day the timing around the workout doesn’t matter.9 Essentially, if you are consuming your protein (and thus leucine) every three to four hours as we previously discussed, you will have some protein fairly close to the start of your training and after. Because the research is so muddied, I still recommend having half of a 40- to 50-gram whey +/- carbohydrate meal before and after your training when “eating to grow.”

Vegetables

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins5Another, often under recognized, aspect of “eating to grow” is the importance of vegetables. Vegetables are not only important for their antioxidant vitamin, mineral and fiber content. Veggies, especially green leafy veggies, are rich in nitrates. Nitrates act as nitric oxide donors. This is just like the arginine- and citrulline-rich supplements used to boost your pump in the gym.

Foods like spinach, celery and beets are rich in nitrates and boost nitric oxide. Researchers have found that beetroot juice supplementation results in better tolerance of the intense exercise and better metabolic handling of oxygen than beetroot juice that was depleted of nitrate.10 The subjects on the nitrate-rich beetroot juice took longer to fail at a high-intensity sprint than those on a placebo-nitrate depleted beetroot juice. With higher intensity training you can imagine this could provide greater potential for muscle growth stimulus. With the added antioxidants, you may even recover from that training faster. Do what your mama told ya: eat your veggies!

Diet Essentials

In summary, there are a few things you need to be certain your diet contains:

1. Whole food sources of quality proteins, fats, and carbohydrates

2. 0.05 grams of leucine per kilogram bodyweight per meal

3. Nitrate-rich veggies

Dr. Victor Prisk is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon and IFBB professional bodybuilder in Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Prisk is an active member of the GNC Medical Advisory Board and creator of the “G.A.I.N. Plan.” He is an NCAA All-American gymnast, champion swing dancer and 2010 NPC Welterweight National Champion. For week-to-week updates on his app and books, check out his blog at gainplan and Twitter posts @victorprisk.

Thanks CG very interesting and a great article.

Took a selfie before bed last night. Excuse the shitty quality and odd lighting. My plan was to have my Wife shoot some pics of me but she fell asleep. So I took this for now. Holding a bit of water now in my midsection most likely due to the peps.

**broken link removed**

LOOKIN' SWOLE Bro!! Looking forward to following your progress.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

I'm 26 brother. I definitely know diet is important. I have said this in my previous logs, I didn't see the most dramatic changes till I pushed everything and I mean everything drugs, training, and diet.

A couple of years ago, I used to eat like complete crap. My dieting has come a long way since then. I think I gave off an impression it wasn't important because I didn't go into too much detail in the OP because like I said I just keep it simple. It also throws people off because I eat much less calories then usual. I have a friend who pounds down 3-4kcals just to maintain. He's got 5" on me but I have 20lbs on him with less food.

This actually all leads me to believe that I still have soo much potential left to grow. If I can get my cals up to 4k I'd put on some very serious mass!

Thanks for following brother! By the way, I am up to 1ml of res 3x a week and I am loving it. Not using any AI at all and haven't been getting sick really. It seems that I start to get sick but then it only lasts a day and passes. I feel great considering it has been below 0*F here a few times these past couple of weeks. I don't think it has been over 30*F in the past two weeks.

QUOTE]

thanks!

the new guy im training is a lil younger...

I know you know all the stuff mentioned, implementing is a lil harder then knowing though. lol

glad to hear things are going well!
I just started res again myself!
mixing with cd200 and no pain at all, small depots though and no side so far.

I am very interested to see what you turn into over the next few years!

keep at it brotha!!!

:headbang:

I pulled this off the MD site. I think it drives many valuable points home. If your not going to hire a qualified coach, please use this as a guide. My coach even has me drinking the beet juice as we speak............ Putting a GOOD, GROWING diet together is going to be a little work. That's why it cost money. Just apply yourself and you will be fine. Please PM me if I can help! :)

CG

Article:
My twin brother, Tony Prisk, recently came to me with a very common problem. He can’t seem to get his legs to grow. Now, being that we are twins and I was able to build legs to win an IFBB pro card [Dr. Prisk obtained his pro card by winning the welterweight division at the NPC Nationals,] I know that his legs can grow. So this leaves the question, why aren’t they growing? Is it his training? His recovery? His diet? His supplementation?

I asked him about his training in the gym. He said he was doing all the mass movements like squatting heavy, leg press and deadlifts. He was utilizing mass-building techniques like drop sets, negatives and undulating volume. His form was spot on. He was getting enough sleep. He was getting enough rest between leg-training sessions. He was taking a myriad of GNC supplements that I sent him. It turns out that everything was right, except he wasn’t “eating to grow!”

The Concept

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins3First, you have to determine just how many calories you actually need to maintain your weight with regards to total daily energy expenditure. Log your dietary intake for a couple of weeks, weigh yourself first thing in the morning twice a week and see if your bodyweight fluctuates. If it stays the same you need more calories to grow, if it decreases you need even more calories, and if it increases you’re on the right track, but may even then want to add more calories.

Then you need to consider how active you are in the gym or on your job. One way to get a sense of this is to use a wearable calorie-counting device or phone app. Again, these aren’t very accurate so you will have to adjust as you go, but they give you a starting point. Add your extra calorie burn to your caloric needs and then add up to 500 calories. This will ensure you that you are never energy deficient. More calories will help with gaining weight, but you will run greater risk of storing fat.

Second, you have to adjust your macronutrients (carbs, fats and protein) to meet your individual needs. All proteins, fats and carbs are not created equal.

Not All Proteins Are Created Equal

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins1We all know that bodybuilders need more protein than the 0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight that the RDA recommends. The International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) and American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) also agree with this, recommending nearly 1 gram per pound of bodyweight for strength-training athletes.1,2 However, some believe that this may still be insufficient for maximizing gains from heavy resistance training.3 In fact, I believe that counting the absolute number of all grams of protein may be a little misleading, because all proteins are not created equal.

Once we have verified that we are getting the majority of our protein intake from complete proteins, we must also realize that all complete proteins are not created equal. Each protein has different ratios of the essential and non-essential amino acids. Some proteins such as the dairy proteins are particularly rich in the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs; leucine, isoleucine, valine). It turns out that this difference in BCAA content is an important distinction.

A recently published study has shown that when we consume protein in a skewed fashion (like most Americans) with the majority of our protein intake at dinner and much less at lunch and breakfast, we do not maximize our muscle growth potential.4 This study looked at the difference between eating ~10 grams, 15 grams and 65 grams of protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner, respectively, versus eating 30 grams for each meal. By increasing the protein content of the first two meals, it is theorized that a threshold was met whereby muscle protein synthesis was turned on at each meal.

Healthy and Unhealthy Fats

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins2There are essential fats that we can’t live without. Even though recent studies suggest that saturated fat may not be as evil as once thought, if you eat too much when trying to grow you will probably not be at your healthiest. That being said, restricting your cholesterol and saturated fat intake excessively can cause reductions in testosterone production, potentially hindering muscle growth.6 So, if you are not a “hormone supplemented” bodybuilder, extreme limitations of your fat intake can be detrimental to your goals. By maximizing the polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially the omega-3s from fish oils, you are more likely to see some health benefits from eating to grow. I would recommend keeping your fat content above 30 percent of your total daily calories and strictly avoid toxic and inflammatory trans fats. As for all of the macronutrients, getting the majority of your fat from whole (unprocessed) foods will help you to avoid unhealthy fats.

Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin, your body’s most anabolic hormone. By consuming more than adequate amounts of carbohydrates with each meal and around your training, you can EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins4maximize strength-training performance in the gym to attain the most adaptive responses for muscle growth. Carbohydrate-deficient diets can limit testosterone production8; whether this is significant enough to limit muscle accretion is not known. Regardless, low-carbohydrate diets can limit strength as glycogen fuels weight training.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends consuming 2.7 to 4.5 grams of carbohydrate per pound bodyweight per day.2 The amount required is very dependent on energy requirements after calculating your protein and fat needs. The more endurance or high-volume training you perform, the more carbohydrate you should consume. Additionally, 0.5 grams of carbohydrate per pound bodyweight will be more than enough in a post-workout meal to restore muscle glycogen stores. Again, whole foods such as yams, potatoes, rice, quinoa and others would be recommended over sugars.

The data about the “anabolic window” has become muddied in recent years. There is data to support consuming protein and carbohydrate within an hour before or after your training. However, other studies have shown that if you are consuming adequate amounts of protein throughout the day the timing around the workout doesn’t matter.9 Essentially, if you are consuming your protein (and thus leucine) every three to four hours as we previously discussed, you will have some protein fairly close to the start of your training and after. Because the research is so muddied, I still recommend having half of a 40- to 50-gram whey +/- carbohydrate meal before and after your training when “eating to grow.”

Vegetables

EAT-RIGHT-GROW-FASTER-ins5Another, often under recognized, aspect of “eating to grow” is the importance of vegetables. Vegetables are not only important for their antioxidant vitamin, mineral and fiber content. Veggies, especially green leafy veggies, are rich in nitrates. Nitrates act as nitric oxide donors. This is just like the arginine- and citrulline-rich supplements used to boost your pump in the gym.

Foods like spinach, celery and beets are rich in nitrates and boost nitric oxide. Researchers have found that beetroot juice supplementation results in better tolerance of the intense exercise and better metabolic handling of oxygen than beetroot juice that was depleted of nitrate.10 The subjects on the nitrate-rich beetroot juice took longer to fail at a high-intensity sprint than those on a placebo-nitrate depleted beetroot juice. With higher intensity training you can imagine this could provide greater potential for muscle growth stimulus. With the added antioxidants, you may even recover from that training faster. Do what your mama told ya: eat your veggies!

Diet Essentials

In summary, there are a few things you need to be certain your diet contains:

1. Whole food sources of quality proteins, fats, and carbohydrates

2. 0.05 grams of leucine per kilogram bodyweight per meal

3. Nitrate-rich veggies

Dr. Victor Prisk is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon and IFBB professional bodybuilder in Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Prisk is an active member of the GNC Medical Advisory Board and creator of the “G.A.I.N. Plan.” He is an NCAA All-American gymnast, champion swing dancer and 2010 NPC Welterweight National Champion. For week-to-week updates on his app and books, check out his blog at gainplan and Twitter posts @victorprisk.

Thanks for the article. That's interesting on beetroot juice, I'll have to look into that.

thanks!

the new guy im training is a lil younger...

I know you know all the stuff mentioned, implementing is a lil harder then knowing though. lol

glad to hear things are going well!
I just started res again myself!
mixing with cd200 and no pain at all, small depots though and no side so far.

I am very interested to see what you turn into over the next few years!:D

keep at it brotha!!!

Implementing is definitely harder lol. It's easy to say eat X amount of this and Y amount of that, but when you are on meal #4 and can't swallow anymore food you realize shit is not easy!!! I've done things like cut up chicken into small pieces and swallow them with water like pills lol. I have to resort to liquid cals, nothing a blender can't help with :D

Thanks for the article. That's interesting on beetroot juice, I'll have to look into that.

Beet juice is pricey. I'm buying caned beets and dropping them in a blender to drink. If you go that rte you may conceder this.

CG

Implementing is definitely harder lol. It's easy to say eat X amount of this and Y amount of that, but when you are on meal #4 and can't swallow anymore food you realize shit is not easy!!! I've done things like cut up chicken into small pieces and swallow them with water like pills lol. I have to resort to liquid cals, nothing a blender can't help with :D

I had a thread about blending chicken and drinking it. I do it every day. You may want to pull that up? Not near as bad as I would seam.

CG

I had a thread about blending chicken and drinking it. I do it every day. You may want to pull that up? Not near as bad as I would seam.

CG

The plan right now is to hit 5 large meals a day. I can add beets or spinach to my shakes to get in more nutrients.

I am adding in a whey shake with lunch for example to get in more protein. Today will look something like this:

Meal #1 Shake of eggs, oatmeal, milk, whey, water, greek yogurt, etc.
Meal #2 Chicken breast with white rice, vegetables, and avocado. Whey shake for more protein.
Train with bcaas and intra carbs (50g)
Meal #3 Steak, potatoes or beans, and rice.
Meal #4 Shake of eggs, oatmeal, milk, whey, water, greek yogurt, etc.
Meal #5 Cereal with milk, turkey sandwiches or bagels with pb, and a whey shake.

I like eating cereal before bed. This is 300g of protein if I can get it all down. Wish me luck :D

If I eat like this daily, I will grow like a weed. I've basically double my intake.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity