over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rant about asking people for SPOTS

BKCE87

Registered
Just got back from doing my chest workout at the gym. I wanted to end with a burnout set of 225 on incline bench. My wife is actually a terrific spotter, but she usually doesn't feel confident spotting me for whatever reason. So I asked a guy who was also doing chest if he could give me a spot. He obliged, but obviously had no idea how to spot. I got to 16 and was definitely starting to struggle, which at that point a usual spotter starts to help you when you are doing a burn out. So I reach 20 and get stuck half way up, and the mother fucker doesn't do A DAMN FUCKING THING! So my wife jumped up and helped me finish the rep. WTF, I was so pissed. I suppose I should have explained to him EXACTLY what he needs to do as a spotter, but it is pretty common fucking sense to me. Just wanted to vent.

I feel ya pain bro.. My wife is the same way.. and my gym is full of idiots as well. its bad you got to go over spotting 101 with someone who is already doing CHEST.. geeeeez

I completely understand your pain, and i imagine how pissed you were inside, but that's kinda funny. :D

But seriously, you should explain what you want from you spotter every single time you ask someone new to help out. That's usually what i do, even if it's a friend that usually helps me i always tell him how many reps i want to accomplish and when/how he should help.

Just got back from doing my chest workout at the gym. I wanted to end with a burnout set of 225 on incline bench. My wife is actually a terrific spotter, but she usually doesn't feel confident spotting me for whatever reason. So I asked a guy who was also doing chest if he could give me a spot. He obliged, but obviously had no idea how to spot. I got to 16 and was definitely starting to struggle, which at that point a usual spotter starts to help you when you are doing a burn out. So I reach 20 and get stuck half way up, and the mother fucker doesn't do A DAMN FUCKING THING! So my wife jumped up and helped me finish the rep. WTF, I was so pissed. I suppose I should have explained to him EXACTLY what he needs to do as a spotter, but it is pretty common fucking sense to me. Just wanted to vent.

I understand completely alot of people have no clue.
Heres the fix i came up with and I use this for bench and also big squats.
Have your wife do the spot and ask 2 others for help also 1 at each end of the bar her in the center. They do NOTHING unless she gives help and they follow her thats it they keep the bar level and follow her led she is the spot they are there if she needs there help. also if there is a problem alll3 should be able to rack what ever weight you have.

You're absolutely right. I rarely use a weight I legitimately need a spotter for, but with a burnout set it's nice just to have someone back there. Guess I am going to very descriptively explain to people how to spot lol, cause if they don't know what I want then I can't get mad at them for not doing it. He knew I was pissed, he just walked away after my wife jumped up and wouldn't look at me until I left.

Spotters

I so relate to this.

First, there's the guys who ask me to spot them, yet it becomes me lifting the weight for them so they can stroke their ego's and say they lifted so and so heavy weight.

Next, seems as no one knows how to spot anymore. I blame this on gyms transitioning to less and less hardcore.

As the other person stated, if I spot someone of if I ask for a spot, I clarify beforehand what is expected. I kinda run through the set first, even how may reps they expect alone. Sounds redundant and irritating I know, as far as just effin spot me man, however, these days in the gym, gotta fool proof it.

on a side note rant about spotting, One also has to know how to utilize a spotter once you've got them over. Why ask me to spot you, then never use me. Why do say 8 reps then stop when I'm above you being vocal about giving me more reps. "LightWeight baby, Aint nutting but a Peanut give me 4 more...." Um, ok, I guess you're done, you didn't need me for that.

MrTae

always make clear what you are looking for in a spot...assume they are ignorant. over or underspotting can fuck up a whole set

I agree with everyone's comments all around. Can't wait to get home, and train with my training partner who I can always trust to spot me correctly.

I agree that you need to be very clear. Up until recently I was doing 5/3/1. I would be pissed if my spotter even touched the bar unless I was about to fail. The OP's burnout set is just the opposite. Either way a competent spotter should know what is expected, but it's up to the lifter to ensure they understand the goal.

I would never ask someone to spot me unless its a friend. I don't trust anyone and I also don't want to bother anyone. I hate when people ask me for a spot lol, leave me alone and find a partner:D

I so relate to this.

First, there's the guys who ask me to spot them, yet it becomes me lifting the weight for them so they can stroke their ego's and say they lifted so and so heavy weight.

Next, seems as no one knows how to spot anymore. I blame this on gyms transitioning to less and less hardcore.

As the other person stated, if I spot someone of if I ask for a spot, I clarify beforehand what is expected. I kinda run through the set first, even how may reps they expect alone. Sounds redundant and irritating I know, as far as just effin spot me man, however, these days in the gym, gotta fool proof it.

on a side note rant about spotting, One also has to know how to utilize a spotter once you've got them over. Why ask me to spot you, then never use me. Why do say 8 reps then stop when I'm above you being vocal about giving me more reps. "LightWeight baby, Aint nutting but a Peanut give me 4 more...." Um, ok, I guess you're done, you didn't need me for that.

MrTae

i had someone try to make me lift the bar for them. i gave them one and on 2nd i made him rack it. he asked if i knew how to spot. i said sure but i did my heavy bicep work yesterday. yeah he was mad

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I remember the incident where a guy asked another for a spot on the flat bench. The spotter wasnt able to help the ego lifter put the bar that was too heavy for him back and as a result the ego lifter tore his pec. He SUED the spotter and WON. I dont spot anyone nor do I ask anyone to spot me unless I really know them well.

I don't ever ask for spots. I don't think my workouts are important enough to ask someone to stop what they are doing just for my needs.

I don't mind getting a spot using reps at a level of 8 or more reps as long as i have seen them spot.
I used compete at a national level mid 90s and i was getting ready to hit the meet and a family emergency prevented me from going but i was dumb and i wanted to see what i might have got in the bench .
My training partners spotted me and i hit a pr 615 any ways i went for another pr 630lbs just 15 pounds more and my lift off guy went to the bathroom and instead of waiting on him i replaced him with a guy i knew and being confident i went for it and my shirt blew at the bottom and the guy pulled it toward my neck :confused:and the side spotters pulled it straight up i thought i was going to die :(
God i am glad i don't max anymore and i am also glad shirts in the 90s didn't add 200-300 pounds to your lift like they do now or i would have been killed .
So i don't have to worry as much for my safety but i still get scared when a guy crouches right over you with his balls 1 or 2 inches from your face:mad:

Last edited:
I always ask the person that I am spotting whether they want me to help them or let them struggle and do it on their own as people are different in their needs.

Seems the gyms I lift at nowadays there isn't anyone I would ask to spot me. I figure if they cant bent over row what Im benching then what good are they anyway? I've gotten to where I use DBs and smith and hammer etc. You blow a shoulder or pec or even elbow or wrist and it could cost you bigtime.

I go to the gym to workout. I'm there to do what I have planned. I'm definitely not there to give a spot to some guy I don't know from Adam. Some of you guys need to realize that no matter how important your workouts are to you the rest of us could care less. My only interest in your workout is if you're using a piece of equipment I need and how long youre gonna be on it.

I'm very picky when it comes to who I have spot me on certain lifts. I have tendonitis in my elbow and getting fucked on something like that does not help so I always make sure what I'm looking for them to do as they spot me.

Whenever I do a workout, I always keep my eye out for someone who knows what they are doing just in case I need a spot at some point. Luckily, I work at my gym so 9 times out of 10 I can ask another trainer or find someone I trust.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Based on what you said I'd think he was a good spotter. If I was doing a set and got to 16 and could still do four more even if I'm struggling I'd be upset if someone touched the bar before I failed. I don't want a spot to help unless the bar starts going down before I complete the rep.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131