over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rant about asking people for SPOTS

Information provided, I would much rather share a gym with the spotter who can't read my mind than op.

Information provided, I would much rather share a gym with the spotter who can't read my mind than op.

Lol all things aside, it's not asking someone to read your mind. If you ask for a spot, and the bar stops moving halfway up...then common sense dictates hmmm maybe I should actually spot this person...

I steer away from spotters. I taught my girl how to do it and I'll never lift a weight that put her n me in danger; she's a female after all and most the guys suck at spotting.. I'll spot someone if they asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont trust the goof balls in the gym I go to, so I rarely ask for a spot, I just set up best I can so I can bail if need be.

I have a buddy that's world class in natural RAW benching, nicest easy going guy you'll meet, but God have mercy on you if you touch the bar too soon while he's benching, he goes Apesh!t. I told another guy spotting him not to touch it until the coroner has left, then it's safe to pull it off him, lol.

So everybody is different

I have to use the Smith Machine because people use my gym as a social club, all they do is hang around in the dang way, and God forbid for them to have to stop talking long enough to spot somebody, when ya ask em, they look @ ya like it breaks their heart

i feel your anger, i asked for a spot doing squats, started to struggle this dumb sob hops over to one side of the bar where the plates are loaded and starts pushing. fortunate i was able to stay stable and rack it. it took everything i had not smash his head in

Had a guy spot me 15 years ago on barbell shoulder presses. He spotted under my arms and tore my shoulder.

Sounds like a good spotter to me. Unless you stated exactly what you wanted that's how I would have spotted you. The whole idea of a spotter to me is help me when I have completely failed... not 2 reps before but exactly when I fail. I will bring the weight up with them then let them do negatives till they have no more. That to me is a perfect spotter. The guys who can't spot are the ones who assist you through all the rep when it isn't needed. I do not want to be able to lift the weight a cm before someone spots me. I want them to give me a second to struggle too.

What's the point in a spotter helping you when you have only just began to struggle... the spotter is there to enable you to go to complete failure and so he can help you get the bar back up safely. Sounds to me you shouldn't be having a rant about him at all.

i feel your anger, i asked for a spot doing squats, started to struggle this dumb sob hops over to one side of the bar where the plates are loaded and starts pushing. fortunate i was able to stay stable and rack it. it took everything i had not smash his head in

that's is your fault bro lol, I would never even think about asking anyone to spot me on squats unless its somebody who knows you and trains with you

I know a few guys that spot each other on squats and they are not gay but most of the woman in the gym believe they are because it looks so strange to see them up against one another.

I know a few guys that spot each other on squats and they are not gay but most of the woman in the gym believe they are because it looks so strange to see them up against one another.

Yeah not gay at all. Although if AlinshopRep ever asks if you need a spot just say no ;)

How can people get annoyed with others when they have asked a complete stranger to spot them? Not everyone in the gym is a master spotter... it could be the first time they have ever done it.

Learn to set the pins In a power rack and have it

I always ask the person that I am spotting whether they want me to help them or let them struggle and do it on their own as people are different in their needs.

I do the same thing. Everyone is different and the last thing I want to do is get a random stranger injured at the gym.

you need to explain how you want to be spotted i usually ask how some one wants it. the gym is also full of idiot benchers, that think i am going to be lifting 4-10 of their reps, and that aint happening.

Sounds like a good spotter to me. Unless you stated exactly what you wanted that's how I would have spotted you. The whole idea of a spotter to me is help me when I have completely failed... not 2 reps before but exactly when I fail. I will bring the weight up with them then let them do negatives till they have no more. That to me is a perfect spotter. The guys who can't spot are the ones who assist you through all the rep when it isn't needed. I do not want to be able to lift the weight a cm before someone spots me. I want them to give me a second to struggle too.

What's the point in a spotter helping you when you have only just began to struggle... the spotter is there to enable you to go to complete failure and so he can help you get the bar back up safely. Sounds to me you shouldn't be having a rant about him at all.

I don't think you read anything I said...On rep 20 I reached failure half way up. The bar ceased to move for probably 5 seconds before my wife jumped up and did what he should have.

And thank you to everyone who have me advice on what I said I needed to do anyways lol, explain how to spot in great detail. I very rarely need or use one anyways, it was a rant so please take your high and mighty opinions elsewhere.

Sorry man but all i can picture when reading your rant was this lmao

I feel your pain though, the good one is when you do a drop set and they only drop from one side :D

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 96
You can always use a power rack, smith machine or dumbbells, none of which really require a spot.

I just tell them, "Don't touch the bar unless it starts going the wrong direction".

I just tell them, "Don't touch the bar unless it starts going the wrong direction".

So many bad ways to spot:
Hands always on the bar..."Hey, I got my single rep PR for 12 reps!"

Hands never on the bar, until it's fallen all the way back to your chest.

The 'Ol One Hander...by a guy so cool he's only able to spare one hand at a time. And that hand's never in the middle of the bar.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear