over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rant about asking people for SPOTS

I don't think you read anything I said...On rep 20 I reached failure half way up. The bar ceased to move for probably 5 seconds before my wife jumped up and did what he should have.

Regardless if we agree with the spotter's method, 225x19 is a very nice set!

I was asked to spot the other day, I had to turn him down I haven't spotted in a long time, I told him straight up & if it was a hottie it would been "anytime"

Maybe I'm selfish, but I also hate to spot.

My initial comment is, "I don't like to spot. It's your job to lift the weight. Just an FYI.." Lol

I ask any little twig for a spot on any bar pressing movements I do( really only decline BB press)....I train to failure and im not gonna be the guy getting stuck lmao.... I just say, watch me till I stop moving, then take the whole weight when I say SPOT, cool? ... ive only had maybe 1 or 2 times where something a little weird happened and 1 time it was a buddy looking at sum Brazilian fitness model chick... I got stuck and this fool was watchin her ass squat... I was like DAWGGGG HELLLPPPPP!!! hahahahha

When ever I get a spot, I always ask someone usually pressing as well and always offer after the lift to give them a spot if they need it...

I ask any little twig for a spot on any bar pressing movements I do( really only decline BB press)....I train to failure and im not gonna be the guy getting stuck lmao.... I just say, watch me till I stop moving, then take the whole weight when I say SPOT, cool? ... ive only had maybe 1 or 2 times where something a little weird happened and 1 time it was a buddy looking at sum Brazilian fitness model chick... I got stuck and this fool was watchin her ass squat... I was like DAWGGGG HELLLPPPPP!!! hahahahha

When ever I get a spot, I always ask someone usually pressing as well and always offer after the lift to give them a spot if they need it...

Hahaha you made me crack up hard bro. I really like training to failure and doing burnouts/drop sets so for the most part I stay away from bar work.

Lol...too funny bro.

Op .. you repped a solid set to failure .. the man helped u avoid injury and embaresment
And safely helped u rack the bar .. and was taking time out of his day

MAYBE THERE IS A REASON YOU DONT HAVE A WORKOUT PARTNER
AND GOTTA ASK RANDOM PEOPLE FOR A SPOT

:action:sm:action:sm

But all joking aside 1/2 a rep aint gonna make a diference in your
Chest size or strength

Op .. you repped a solid set to failure .. the man helped u avoid injury and embaresment

Chest size or strength
So true.

Just got back from doing my chest workout at the gym. I wanted to end with a burnout set of 225 on incline bench. My wife is actually a terrific spotter, but she usually doesn't feel confident spotting me for whatever reason. So I asked a guy who was also doing chest if he could give me a spot. He obliged, but obviously had no idea how to spot. I got to 16 and was definitely starting to struggle, which at that point a usual spotter starts to help you when you are doing a burn out. So I reach 20 and get stuck half way up, and the mother fucker doesn't do A DAMN FUCKING THING! So my wife jumped up and helped me finish the rep. WTF, I was so pissed. I suppose I should have explained to him EXACTLY what he needs to do as a spotter, but it is pretty common fucking sense to me. Just wanted to vent.

Sh... mate I had exactly the same experience when I was doing Incline bench press. Dude literally was just standing and looking like an idiot doing nothing while I was shitting bricks trying to lift up during my 8 rep. I even yelled to him that he supposed to help me a little, but well I guess he was retarded.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm selfish, but I also hate to spot.

I don't mind spotting people at all. I get asked quite a lot as my gym is busy. No one ever says to me how they want to be spotted they just ask for a spot. So I always say to them I will wait for them to fail but don't worry as I will assist them. Not gonna waist my time lifting the weight for them when they haven't truly struggled and end up doing about 10 assisted reps (probably hurting my back in the process too). Too many don't know the meaning of failure and what a spotter is there to do...enable you to go to failure and help you get it up safely.

I don't mind spotting people at all. I get asked quite a lot as my gym is busy. No one ever says to me how they want to be spotted they just ask for a spot. So I always say to them I will wait for them to fail but don't worry as I will assist them. Not gonna waist my time lifting the weight for them when they haven't truly struggled and end up doing about 10 assisted reps (probably hurting my back in the process too). Too many don't know the meaning of failure and what a spotter is there to do...enable you to go to failure and help you get it up safely.

I was just thinking that... so tru, a spotter is there to get it up safely, not do fuckin 30 40 70 90% of the work in a somewheat akward position usually... good post

Absolutely. I've told people not to come in until bar stops completely or stats going back down and still they assist me on about rep 3 of a 8 rep set. Drives me mental. One guy always insists on giving me a little help on left side as it's slightly weaker. The reason its weaker is because he keeps helping me on the side:banghead: problem is the time I train the gym is quite empty so I have to make do with what I can get.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but here's the thing. I don't stop when I workout and rarely take breaks. I try to get in 40 plus sets per hour. I will go from tri push downs to barbell curls to skull crushers to dumbbell curls and then loop again. I rarely ever get asked to spot because I never stop.

I saw Dwayne Johnson"The Rock" working out like this at our gym about 4 years ago and saw what a great pump he got. If I get asked for a spot, I do oblige and am nice about it. I also stop my workout when asked a question. I tend to go overboard because I see how much the guys appreciate my advice.

I usually ask the person I'm spotting what would like me to do. Or how many you going for. When I ask for a spot , which is hardly ever , I usually ask someone I know. And I'll tell them what I'm shooting for.

I just tell them, "Don't touch the bar unless it starts going the wrong direction".

So many bad ways to spot:
Hands always on the bar..."Hey, I got my single rep PR for 12 reps!"

Hands never on the bar, until it's fallen all the way back to your chest.

The 'Ol One Hander...by a guy so cool he's only able to spare one hand at a time. And that hand's never in the middle of the bar.

I do this too..I've never been one to do forced reps..I'm also not strong either tho lol

Most spotters suck, but mine always mess up the opposite way to what was in the OP. They jump in and try to help too quickly. Like motherfucker I still had 3 more reps in me why did you start helping just because my reps started to slow down?

Worst is when I say "I've got it" and they still help, these idiots are clueless

Chest size or strength

Too bad, more guys don't get this concept:rolleyes:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views