YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rapid Decrease in Strength. Help Please.

richardcory

Registered
Hey everyone,

I’ve been in the game for a very long time (20+ years), so I’ve been able to see a variety of ups and downs due to various factors (diet/supplementation/injuries/illness/etc), but right now I’m experiencing something unprecedented and I wanted to see if anyone has advice.

In the last month or so, I’ve noticed an approximately 30% strength decrease across the board (back squat, front squat, deadlift, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, bench press, overhead press). I keep meticulous notes of my workouts so I can confidently say this. I’ve never seen anything like this before. My diet and supplementation has been consistent. I haven’t felt sick. My libido feels the same. I’ve dropped maybe 5-10lbs of mass, but at my size that’s only about 4-5%, so it’s the systemic strength loss that’s the real kicker here. If it was in one specific movement or muscle group I could see it being a muscle/joint/limb issue, but this is whole body.

Obviously, I’m going to see a doctor, but I don’t even know what type of doctor I should make an appointment with first. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

i had something similar happen. my body often hurts in multiple places but the strength drop happened almost overnight and particularly in the bench press. went from doing 310 in comp to i don't even know what it is now but i'd be surprised if it's more than two plates. it's like my elbows suddenly got weaker and i was no longer able to push heavy weight. no squats or deads for me though (bad back). there was also a ten pound weight drop in bodyweight, which was not accident. no drugs involved in my case. If it were me i'd go to a Sports Medicine guy.

If all other variables are the same, the most common reason I can think of is hormonal: fake/underdosed gear (especially if you're running a TRT dose)

P.S- should impact libido, but everyone's a bit different

There's really no way of being able to tell you without extensive blood work being done. I don't think any of us would be able to give you a one size fits all answer for your question. I would start off with going to the GP and just ordering him to do a bunch of blood work on you including your liver and kidney function and thyroid in particulars or alternatively just ordering blood work on one of those online sites that have a lab walk in service in your area where you pay out of pocket for and get the full works done if you don't want to go to the doc and dealing with that.
Could you also be just overtraining and you just need a week or two off and a bit of a break from everything?
How is your sleep at night?
Etc etc..
Anything you feel might be wrong with something specifically..your instincts are a very powerful tool and could provide a lead as to where to begin to look..

Im with thethinker, ive had this happen...and it was post-PL meet.
And i felt 100% fine.

4 weeks post meet and my numbers were plummeting. DId some bloodwork and whatever i was using was obviously fake. Immediately got on some real shit and everything went back to normal. Get bloodwork.

Were you training through COVID? All of my lifts went down 20% as a result of not being able to do optimal workouts for 3 months.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My sleep has been the same. I definitely would lean more towards the undertraining due to COVID rather than overtraining aspect. Gear-wise it has just been a TRT (a tad higher than TRT but still low-dose T) and I sure hope it's legit/properly dosed! I trust my guy, but obviously if his raws are bad then it'd be beyond his control. I'll set up an appointment with a GP and look to get as much bloodwork done as possible.

OP, are you excited to go to the gym at the moment or is your mood kind of ho-hum? When I look back at times when workouts were not going well I sometimes put it together that my mind wasn't in the game regardless of most factors staying the same. I would suspect Covid phenomenom as a reason for your mind to limit your body somewhat.

Sounds like a job for an endocrinologist to investigate. You'll likely need a referral from your primary care doctor. An endocrinologist will probably do some blood tests and see if anything is out of the normal range.

Could be as simple as recovery has taken a hit and you need to deload or just take 3-4 days off completely from the gym. I typically like just days off, only time I lower training volume and do deload workouts is when I’m prepping for a show.

OP I see what you're concerns are. And obviously you want to make sure its not something serious. So yea see a doctor. BUT if you're size is still the same or you've lost so little that its not noticeable.

What does it matter what your lift weight number is.unless you compete in power lifting who cares.

When a bodybuilder is in public and you look big and/or in good shape
People don't say oh man I wonder what he can lift.they just say dammmm his big or his strong.

I've always said people that are big muscular and worry about how heavy they can lift.its an ego thing
If I look big,strong I could care less if I can only press 10lb. As long as I look how I want to .I could care less how heavy I can lift. Unless you are a fighter strength is not a big deal

You wouldn't lose 30% anyway due to gear

Maybe 10%

Do you have any other symptoms at all?

How old are you?
Yeah, I've gone cold turkey off gear before and didn't lose strength anywhere near this bad. I'm mid to late 30s. No other symptoms I can think of. No remarkable changes in mood, sleep, diet, lifestyle, stress, etc.

OP, are you excited to go to the gym at the moment or is your mood kind of ho-hum? When I look back at times when workouts were not going well I sometimes put it together that my mind wasn't in the game regardless of most factors staying the same. I would suspect Covid phenomenom as a reason for your mind to limit your body somewhat.
Mood is certainly on the ho-hum side, but I've had mood/motivation dips in the past and it didn't correlate to anywhere near this much of a strength decrease. Covid phenomenon is something I'm hearing more and more about, although Covid hit in March, and my strength didn't fall into the crapper until July, so I dunno.

Could be as simple as recovery has taken a hit and you need to deload or just take 3-4 days off completely from the gym. I typically like just days off, only time I lower training volume and do deload workouts is when I’m prepping for a show.
I wish that was it, but unfortunately Covid is forcing me to have more than enough recovery time.

Sounds like a job for an endocrinologist to investigate. You'll likely need a referral from your primary care doctor. An endocrinologist will probably do some blood tests and see if anything is out of the normal range.
I got a bunch of blood (and urine) work done and should hopefully get the results in a few days. Fingers crossed.

OP I see what you're concerns are. And obviously you want to make sure its not something serious. So yea see a doctor. BUT if you're size is still the same or you've lost so little that its not noticeable.

What does it matter what your lift weight number is.unless you compete in power lifting who cares.

When a bodybuilder is in public and you look big and/or in good shape
People don't say oh man I wonder what he can lift.they just say dammmm his big or his strong.

I've always said people that are big muscular and worry about how heavy they can lift.its an ego thing
If I look big,strong I could care less if I can only press 10lb. As long as I look how I want to .I could care less how heavy I can lift. Unless you are a fighter strength is not a big deal
Well, that's the problem haha, I compete in strength sports.

I experienced drastic strength loss before I was diagnosed with bile duct cancer.

At first I just thought it was old age catching up with me...

Got to the point where I could barely flat bench 135lbs...135 felt like 275.
That’s when I knew something was going on...something was wrong with me.
I fucked up tho and didn’t see a doc till I was really ill..

good luck.👍🍀🙂

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner