over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Raw bench press width

cal

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Have always benched with a grip that was narrow. Normal width and 5-8. Thumb extended from smooth at widest. Have had nagging elbow pain for what seems forever. Moved grip to middle finger on ring and almost zero pain and was suorised at how explosive off the chest...

What's considered a wide grip? What do most that powerlift or do bench comps use?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

In comp, the thumbs have to be covering the outer rings on the bar. To me, anything outside of that is considered a wide grip. For a raw grip , I usually go shoulder width or a little wider.

Grip varies by height and rules. An equipped lifter will will use the widest grip allowed(just covering the widest ring) to get the most out of a shirt. With raw lifting you will see shorter guys with their ring finger of even pinkies on the rings and taller guys will have their middle or index on the rings depending on height. Ring finger on the rings is what I use at 5'10". Its also a little easier on the shoulders.

Depends on your shoulder width and if you are competing or training. training, i recommend using a narrower grip. IE: pinky on rings. For competition go as wide as possible. i like to go forefinger/thumb on the rings. The rule in most federations is that you simply have to cover the rings on the bar with some part of your hand.

Be careful of wider grip benching, it will tear your shoulders up. How much bicep work do you do? what about finger extensors? Doing more / the right things for these muscle groups might help with your elbow pain.

How much bicep work do you do? what about finger extensors? Doing more / the right things for these muscle groups might help with your elbow pain.

Direct bicep work, especially heavy negatives, etc.. helped me tremendously.

FWIW - I'm 5'8" 255lbs and bench index fingers on the rings in a shirt, and MAYBE one finger closer raw.

It all has to do with your setup, your build and optimal angles.

Direct bicep work, especially heavy negatives, etc.. helped me tremendously.

FWIW - I'm 5'8" 255lbs and bench index fingers on the rings in a shirt, and MAYBE one finger closer raw.

It all has to do with your setup, your build and optimal angles.

I did the same when I was benching in a shirt. I go middle finger on rings raw training and on occasion I go superwide for my training for about 3 weeks at a time.

Heavy negatives hurt my elbows actually. I found that 5x10 light weight barbell curls worked the best for me if I used it as a warm-up. I stole that from elitefts though. Can't take credit there for any of that stuff really.

havent used a shirt but raw I will put ring finger on the groove....pointer finger for wide grip

I have always used my little fingers on the rings. But I moved it in a little bit and everything feels a lot more solid and it seems to move faster off the chest. But that's not going to work for everyone. Just gotta try everything and find what works for you.

Ring finger or middle finger in the groove, if I get too wide I have no power off my chest

Fedkay until recently I did almost no bicep work. Have started doing db curls once a week. And forearm work twice a week and it's really helped.

Moved my grip and first thought awkward but can tell I will be moving more weight very fast. Feels more natural now

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear