over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

raw food diet for dogs

james caan

Registered
try to get some advice/suggestions from people that have their dog/s on a BARF type diet. i just started my dog this week, but obviously i have very little exp. with it. my main question is what meat/fruit/veg. combos have you used with the greatest success. i started him with pork, potatoes, apples, eggs, and green peas. also tomorrow im picking him up some cows feet, cow tongue, beef liver, and if i can find it beef hearts. but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW i started him on this, because even though i was getting him high quality kibble (orijens, and blue wilderness), his coat never really had that softness, or shine it should have. so it was suggested i try a BARF diet. any way thanks in advance. CJ

start with chicken necks to get him used to the bone crunching and strengthening of the jaws. I don't know what kind of dog that you have but I am assuming it is a medium to large size, if this is the case in time graduate him to leg quarters. Fruits should be given seperate then his meals as a snack and make sure you don't give him grapes or raisins. Save the organ meat for a once a week treat and stick with chicken for the most part over beef or pork (leaness) Mix in a TBS of plain yogurt daily to help with digestion. For vegetable carrots seem to work pretty good but you might have to food process them or slightly cook them as the dog's digestion system will process veggies so fast that any nutrients will be lost.

I have fed raw for a long time.

my great dane gets 30% meat and bone, 30% offal, 40% fruit and veg mix.
my weim gets 50 meat and bone, 25% offal, 25% fruit and veg.

They always get kelp, yogurt, and cod liver oil (will really help with the coat issues you are having). With every meal

I spend a couple hours once a month and make all their meals (but I do have a extra stand up freezer, so I have that liberty) I then divy them into rubbermaids.

meat and bone: I rotate between chicken carcass, and bison. The occasional goat, fish, pork shoulder.... anything really.

offal i feed is usually from beef, and chickens. And almost half the offal they get is uncleaned tripe.

fruit and vegy... try to stay away from starchy stuff like carrots. stick to greenery. Make sure to blend it up real good, if not it will just come out the same.

A couple times a week, my girls get full prey style meals. I usually give a whole rabbit, pigglet, or fish.

If you are feeding fish, stay away from fresh salmon, and yes as listed above, avoid raisins, onions, tomatos, chocolate, and grapes.

Let me know what area you live in because there are many "raw" groups out there. I used to think it was a stupid idea, but since I joined one, I have yet to purchase anything for more then 1$ a pound. SAves TONS of money.

Shoot me a PM if you need more details.

Oh, and get to know your local chineese market!, them buggers have great stuff for raw food (feet, neck, offal) at great prices.

I have a local butcher grind up chicken backs and necks and add some mustard greens or kale, some plain yogurt (no sugar). Since I have to purchase 50lb of the meat I split it up with a neighbor who feeds her dogs the same thing.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws