over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Raw Milk for my son?

fade

Registered
Hey guys my son is just about 11 months old and pretty soon we are going to switch him from formula to milk for some of his bottles. Of course my wife just wants to go to the grocery store and pick up some regular 2% milk for him - but I would rather go with what is the healthiest for him.

I know she had concerns about some of the dangers of raw milk, and especially for a 1 year-old this isn't something I would want to risk. I have done a bit of research and of course if you read the raw milk advocates it's completely safe - if you read the other side of the argument they say it's not safe at all.

I am curious as to your guys thoughts on giving your 1 year old raw milk and the safety with it?

I know mountaindog probably has some thoughts on this.

Hey guys my son is just about 11 months old and pretty soon we are going to switch him from formula to milk for some of his bottles. Of course my wife just wants to go to the grocery store and pick up some regular 2% milk for him - but I would rather go with what is the healthiest for him.

I know she had concerns about some of the dangers of raw milk, and especially for a 1 year-old this isn't something I would want to risk. I have done a bit of research and of course if you read the raw milk advocates it's completely safe - if you read the other side of the argument they say it's not safe at all.

I am curious as to your guys thoughts on giving your 1 year old raw milk and the safety with it?

My grandfather had a farm and my entire mother's family drank raw milk and so did I when I was little. It is very safe but it is not completely safe. The odds are very much in your favor that nothing bad will happen. However no one wants to be that unfortunate person where something bad does happen.

For my own kids I went with store bought milk and they are perfectly heathly. If you want some of both worlds you could buy an organic milk that is still pasturized.

Children that young are at higher risk of death if they should get some kind of food born illness. If I gave my infant raw milk and something did happen I would never forgive myself. As such I choose to err on the side of caution.

I have two little ones in diapers and personally I would not give them raw milk. We do however always give them organic milk which I really think is the best option at this point. Steering clear of the hormones and chemicals can mostly be addressed by going organic. Raw on the otherhand would worry me especially considering your child is <1yr old. Their bodies can adversely react to the microorganisms that are in it and they haven't had the opportunity to build up their immune system yet to defend some of those. They may have a better chance if they were breastfed since some of the mother's antibodies are transfered to the baby, but, that's still a stretch. Safety first here brother. If we get sick from raw milk, we'll probably survive after an intensive flushing. A baby?

i would wait till he is at leat 2 before intoducing him to raw milk for the reasons everybody stated above.
my son is 6 now and has been drinking raw goat milk for about a year. He has been Lactose intolerant since he was born and rather than put him on soy milk we tried raw milk and he handles it fine.

If you have a reliable source, then by all means.. Do it.. Even in the earliest months of childhood, if breastmilk is not adaquate, raw cows or goats milk is your next best bet.. Alot of good info here..

**broken link removed**

farm raised

Born and raised on the farm! I agree with the above posters stay away from the chemical produced milk no matter what age. Get to any all natural store and or a farm friend. Bad enough all the poison they are putting in are kids and us from all angles. Fight the good fight and be aware!

Side note and I still can't believe I'm saying this but my wife has been buying Almond milk and the health benefits are pretty solid as she digs through labels like a mad dr. lol:D

Raw> Store bought milk in every instance.

Work in a facility that produces dairy and you won't eat just about any dairy product again that isn't pure, organic, or raw. Makes sense considering I use to have cheese in my omelette and it sat in me like a ball of lead. Not cool.

My baby girl turns 3 in a few weeks(Feb 2nd) and the only milk she has ever had(other than mommys when she was a baby) has been raw milk. THe whole family has been drinking it for several years and never had any problems; actually just got back from the farm a few hours ago with 4 gallons.

I started my twins on raw milk at 1 year old. Tony is right, know your source. I saw a pathogen report on the raw milk I get, as he has to get it tested frequently, and it had less than the pasteurized stuff in the store, believe it or not...I'll see if I can find the test...althought again, this was just my farmer whom I trust 100%.

My grandfather had a farm and my entire mother's family drank raw milk and so did I when I was little. It is very safe but it is not completely safe. The odds are very much in your favor that nothing bad will happen. However no one wants to be that unfortunate person where something bad does happen.

For my own kids I went with store bought milk and they are perfectly heathly. If you want some of both worlds you could buy an organic milk that is still pasturized.

Children that young are at higher risk of death if they should get some kind of food born illness. If I gave my infant raw milk and something did happen I would never forgive myself. As such I choose to err on the side of caution.

Mojo Jojo's viewpoint seems entirely right to me. I'm not one to get shrill about differences in opinion - everyone's entitled to their views - but here we are talking about a young kid and I'm tempted. Let's just say that in this debate, credible scientific opinion seems pretty lopsided.

Here is a good discussion of a recent paper from leading journal. You can find a link to the paper here. Junkfood Science: The raw milk debate ? helping parents wade through the milk science

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses guys. I am not very knowledgeable on the whole raw milk think and really never drink milk myself (if it were a staple, I would have raw milk).

As for my son, like others have mentioned, if it were my fault that he got sick and something happened to him - I couldn't live with myself. If that means he gets to have milk that has a few less nutrients in it then I will sacrifice that for a little peace of mind.

I will go with as natural as possible. No antibiotics, growth hormones, all natural grass fed cows - but it will be pasteurized.. My butcher shop carries one that is from a local farm but is pasteurized.. As he gets older I may switch him to Raw milk once i've been using it for a little while.

Make sure if you just buy milk from the store you get whole milk not 2% they need all the fat and all the nutrients they can get from it at that age. I would wait until at least 2 for the raw milk as well. MM

Thanks for your responses guys. I am not very knowledgeable on the whole raw milk think and really never drink milk myself (if it were a staple, I would have raw milk).

As for my son, like others have mentioned, if it were my fault that he got sick and something happened to him - I couldn't live with myself. If that means he gets to have milk that has a few less nutrients in it then I will sacrifice that for a little peace of mind.

I will go with as natural as possible. No antibiotics, growth hormones, all natural grass fed cows - but it will be pasteurized.. My butcher shop carries one that is from a local farm but is pasteurized.. As he gets older I may switch him to Raw milk once i've been using it for a little while.

Hey fade how about something like this....

**broken link removed**

Its organic milk that is non-homogenized (left in its natural state) and VAT pasteurized, meaning it is pasteurized at the lowest temperature (145 degrees F) that can be used and still meet pasteurization standards. It even still has the cream that rises to the top like raw unpasteurized milk does.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws