over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Real Food vs Protein shakes

Real food first whether it's blended or not. While protein powders do have their place, they are not a substitute for whole foods.

I have a 50gram shake (mainly because that's all my digestive system can tolerate at one time) right after my workout. Other then that whole foods for the rest of the day. I'm allergic to something in whey shakes, and most powders give me explosive diarrhea so I tend to stay away... other then that I'd drink more of them.

does it matter if you use water or milk?
i use water in all my shakes except the one i drink before bedtime... i use milk

this depends on what you are aiming for. Milk adds some extra calories, protein and maybe fat depending on the percentage milk you get. It also taste better to man people. For me, I use milk when I am trying to make gains, since it is a quick source of calories. I use water when I am trying to cut fat.

If one uses the same powder for an extended period of time, is there any evidence that suggests your body becomes more or less efficient in terms of how much is digested and utilized? Does it remain constant?

Why make it an either/or?

I have a shake mixed in water (1 or 2 scoops, depending on size of meal beforehand) right after most of my meals. Great and easy way to take in extra calories/protein if needed.

what about protein bars... how do they fit in this scenario... not really a meal but they make a good snack...

I am also of the persuasion that once the proteins, vitamins and minerals make it past the stomach wall your body doesn't care where it came from...

However, it stands to reason that you burn more calories breaking down whole foods rather than absorbing a shake... imo

I feel I make better gains when getting more meals in( beef is my favorite )
rather than protein shakes. when my appetite is supressed shakes are a huge help in keeping my protein and calorie count up. I feel shakes are better though than just eating good tasting garbage food that is shitty for me.
At least I know what I am taking in with blended food supplements.
Thay are very useful. Real meals are number 1 but thank god for shakes
as my appetite is not the best on certain aas.

I love shakes.

For some reason, for as big as i am, ive never been a big eater.

For the past 5-6 years, my appetite has just died off (im 32).

If i wasnt a bodybuilder i would probably eat only 1-2 meals a day.

The shakes make life for me much easier.

I guess I'm going against the grain here. I typically have about 4 shakes a week. The only other time I have a shake is when I'm traveling and can't find a place to have a sit-down meal.

I literally couldn't survive without a few shakes a day.

My food bills are already so ridiculously expensive, I think I'm putting my butchers kids through college.

Add some carbs and fat in the form of oats/banana and flax/olive oil, and GTG.

-Pack

what about protein bars... how do they fit in this scenario... not really a meal but they make a good snack...

I am also of the persuasion that once the proteins, vitamins and minerals make it past the stomach wall your body doesn't care where it came from...

However, it stands to reason that you burn more calories breaking down whole foods rather than absorbing a shake... imo

Most protein bars are full of shitty protein and a lot of suger. Several companies have been tested by consumer testers and shown that the label is not even close to the crap inside. Better off carrying around some powder in a shaker in your glovebox or backpack/briefcase and if you need to, add water, mix, and drink. Just my .02

TBH, IME, i've never had a difference in gains when both sides were equal in macronutrients. If I compared a protein drink with the same exact macronutrients as a regular solid meal, then my results have always yielded about the same results. Although, a straight protein drink by itself compared to a balanced solid meal is not comparison, the solid meal will outdo the protein only drink/"meal."

That's been my experience, and i usually have my protein at around 50% or so from powders like Shelby does, and no complaints here:)

Stick with what works best for you though:cool:

BMJ

I eat real protein -not powder. Tuna and meat. come check me at at my gym anytime. Formula or breast milk for a baby? No powdered crap at all for me. Cans of tuna and chicken I prepare, only on 600 En / week. For real come check out this 42 year old at MY GYM in Atlanta. Hit me up. That powdered shit is denatured, processed and the labels claims are BS. Not regulated- remenber.

I've done it both ways and seen no real difference.

As far as pro's etc...I've seen Kevin Levrone state he did not use shakes much, whereas someone like Ian Harrison used to drink up to a dozen a day...

I eat real protein -not powder. Tuna and meat. come check me at at my gym anytime. Formula or breast milk for a baby? No powdered crap at all for me. Cans of tuna and chicken I prepare, only on 600 En / week. For real come check out this 42 year old at MY GYM in Atlanta. Hit me up. That powdered shit is denatured, processed and the labels claims are BS. Not regulated- remenber.

the problem with canned tuna is high levels of mercury and other toxins and the meat industry is horrendous. if you're not getting range/grass fed beef your meat is of a questionable standard. by getting protein from true protein, (a board sponser) you can bank on the label reflecting true pure ingredients.

I really must say this though....MANY healthful nutrients you get from fruits and vegetables are not going to be present in these drinks, so i'd definately make sure not to devoid your diet of these foods. My post above is solely on a macronutrient level where both sides being equal have usually yielded the same gains for me muscle-wise. I'm probably missing a bunch of other nit-picky stuff....but....:)

BMJ

Fuck mercury or mad cow or bird flu or whatever. The FDA would not allow on market if unsafe. is your powder FDA approved- no. Real meat or fish cannot be substituted. Powder convenient who the hell know what in that fake shit. EAT real MEAT and grow. period.

if that works for you stay with it but i would put very little trust in the fda to keep you safe. i do however put all my faith in the purity of true protein's products.......so we agree to disagree.

if that works for you stay with it but i would put very little trust in the fda to keep you safe. i do however put all my faith in the purity of true protein's products.......so we agree to disagree.
How when there is no regulations of label disclosures? Anbody have lab assays on claims advertised? On tuna, beef chicicken and such if there were any health implications would that not prove a general health risk?

as far as the supplement industry in general i agree with you. but our friends at true protein are board members as well as respected trainers and competitors. no worries at all regarding thier products.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131