over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reason #89743658943 why you should be doing HIIT

We are all doing HIT in my opinion through weight training.

It amazes me who often this is overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely false. The benefits are entirely different.

Absolutely false. The benefits are entirely different.

You don't think you can gear a weight training session towards HIIT?

You don't think you can gear a weight training session towards HIIT?

Oh yes, I do think you can. In fact, I've been trying to lately myself. I just assumed he was talking about standard bodybuilding routines.

Oh yes, I do think you can. In fact, I've been trying to lately myself. I just assumed he was talking about standard bodybuilding routines.

How would you do this? Higher rep sets followed by 90-120sec rests?

I’ve been trying a few things. One of which is a superset or tri-set, followed by 90 seconds rest. It’s really challenging.

I’ve also done a set of whatever I’m doing, then headed straight to the treadmill or the stair master for a 30-60 second sprint, followed by 90 seconds rest

When I am wanting to lean up....I go back to my original workout which is still a Wendler Hybrid system...but everything is compressed into one week.

But basically you had "tri-sets" all through the workout. For example:

Bench Press, Bent Rows, Face Pulls...90 seconds of rest and you go again until you finished your programmed volume for the day.

Overhead Press, Pull-ups, Set for abs.

Deadlift, Hi-pulls, shrugs

Squats were hard enough on their own, but I would superset them with Hack Squats...and then Planks. Doing Planks before squats would really light your core up.

I’ve been trying a few things. One of which is a superset or tri-set, followed by 90 seconds rest. It’s really challenging.

Absolutely. You could combine a push, a pull, and a squat exercise into one giant set (e.g., bench, inverted rows, and squats--all with intensities to yield perhaps 12 or more reps per exercise) with minimal rest and you'd have a very high heartrate in no time.

Absolutely. You could combine a push, a pull, and a squat exercise into one giant set (e.g., bench, inverted rows, and squats--all with intensities to yield perhaps 12 or more reps per exercise) with minimal rest and you'd have a very high heartrate in no time.
The workout I listed above briefly is just as you described. It would get my heart rate up where I wanted it...and I could drop weight while not doing any cardio even with using a small calorie deficit.

The key is to keep moving and keep your training weights as high as possible for the rep range you are working in.

It's brutal for the first few weeks, but your body adjusts as your cardio health improves.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Ok question- why would you want to HIIT your weights? Just a different way of doing HIIT?, training stubborn body parts?

I know i tried the FST7 awhile back to try and help my back when I felt I wasn't progressing. Very similiar- high reps, fast sets, minimal rest, but I didn't feel I was getting quality lifts...

Ok question- why would you want to HIIT your weights? Just a different way of doing HIIT?, training stubborn body parts?

I know i tried the FST7 awhile back to try and help my back when I felt I wasn't progressing. Very similiar- high reps, fast sets, minimal rest, but I didn't feel I was getting quality lifts...

HIIT with weights would be a good choice for fat loss and endurance.

It would be a poor choice for hypertrophy, however, considering the recent studies that have shown more rest between sets = more hypertrophy/strength.

It would be a poor choice for hypertrophy, however, considering the recent studies that have shown more rest between sets = more hypertrophy/strength.

Interesting- lighter weights faster sets- almost like a runner or a model routine, rather than a guy looking for size. That's how I'm understanding it- admittedly, I would have to read some more for it. Thanks for the answer nothuman

Interesting- lighter weights faster sets- almost like a runner or a model routine, rather than a guy looking for size. That's how I'm understanding it- admittedly, I would have to read some more for it. Thanks for the answer nothuman

Yea, if size is the goal, I would avoid HIIT with weight training.

Debatable. I agree if thinking of heavy squats, deads, etc. But everything else, no.

If you think lifting is HIIT, then you aren’t doing HIIT correct.

In my limited understanding

HIT - all out blast then rest

My weight training sessions

All out blast - working sets controlled and explosive last 30-40 seconds then rest.

HR spikes pretty high during all workouts.

Feels like a HIT workout I did during uni.

Maybe your not lifting hard enough ??

In terms of all out intensify for a set using controlled negative n explosive positives working just maximal failure sets after warm ups.

Monitoring rest periods for 60-90 seconds.

I don’t see how doing this isn’t HIT training ?

Surely you can build both into your workouts tho and this was my point.

The latter stages of my workouts are maximal sets with timed rests. If done properly it has the same effect as HIT exercise as that’s what it is.

Short maximal energy output sets with rest periods.

sounds awesome Hilly, can you walk through sets/reps/rest period for a typical workout like this? Interested.

I superset my accessories and attempt to keep rest periods low during working sets of the main movement. I do LISS cardio other times.

In my limited understanding

HIT - all out blast then rest

My weight training sessions

All out blast - working sets controlled and explosive last 30-40 seconds then rest.

HR spikes pretty high during all workouts.

Feels like a HIT workout I did during uni.

Maybe your not lifting hard enough ??

Get on a stationary bike, crank resistance to 20+, go all out for 20 seconds, active rest level 5 for 60 seconds. 10 cycles. Then come back and tell me your weight sessions are HIIT.

In terms of all out intensify for a set using controlled negative n explosive positives working just maximal failure sets after warm ups.

Monitoring rest periods for 60-90 seconds.

I don’t see how doing this isn’t HIT training ?

Yea definitely. I figured you meant do a set, wait 3-5 Minutes, repeat. The way you proposed is more like HIIT I’d say.

I never mentioned lighter weights. My program is based on power lifting. My rep ranges are in the 3-5 range with multiple sets. But I feel like progression in general is the key...whether it be strength or volume. You subject the body to either one and feed yourself accordingly. If I hit my reps and weight for my weekly setup, I automatically adjust the weight and move up for the next week's programmed lifts.

Like I said...it takes time to adjust to it. If I'm supposed to do 8 sets of bench for 5 reps of 315 with 90 seconds rest between them and can only make 7 sets before my reps start dropping off.....then my next week of programming has me doing the same thing. Once I can get all sets at those reps in that time frame, the next week the weight or number of reps go up and I start over.

That's a basic explanation of it, but its setup for progression for strength and volume in 1-3 week periods.

And I've put on 20+ lbs in the last 6 months doing this...not to mention I'm stronger in every programmed lift of squat, bench, deadlift, and overhead press.

I have pictures in the log section....which reminds me that I need to update it.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner