Reason #89743658943 why you should be doing HIIT

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Pretty amazing

http://ergo-log.com/interval-training-versus-worst-imaginable-diet.html

Daily half hour of interval training cancels out the negative health effects of the worst imaginable diet

In 2004 filmmaker Morgan Spurlock showed in his documentary Supersize Me [Wikipedia] what happens to your body if you eat nothing but McDonald's products for a whole month. He gained 13 kg and his cardiovascular health, his liver function and insulin balance deteriorated. All of these disastrous effects would probably not have happened if Spurlock had trained intensively every day that the experiment lasted.

Study

Canadian sports scientists at the University of Quebec in Montreal got 15 healthy men aged 18-30 to eat nothing but junk food for two weeks.

The participants "had to consume an extra value meal of their choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All meals for lunch and dinner consisted of a sandwich (e.g., Big Mac, McChicken, or Quarter Pounder with Cheese), medium fries and a non-diet medium soft drink. As for breakfast, it consisted of a sandwich (e.g., Egg McMuffin, or Sausage McMuffin), hash browns and a small fruit drink or coffee. In addition, participants had the option to consume a muffin of their choice as a snack depending on their appetite."

Ugh.

The table below gives you an idea of the quality of their diet.

In addition, the men did a half-hour interval training session on a treadmill every day. This consisted of 15 sprints lasting 1 minute each, where the men ran at 90 percent of their VO2max. Between the sprints the men walked for a minute to recover.

The researchers examined the participants before the 14-week experiment started and at the end.

Results

Thanks to the interval training the junk food diet had no negative effects on the health of the participants. Nearly all the variables that were measured remained the same.

Most noticeable was the decrease in the HDL level, although the amount of the decrease was not alarming, and this was offset by a decrease in the fasting glucose level.

Conclusion

"In summary, high intensity interval training seems to protect, in large part, the cardiometabolic profile against the potential negative effects of a fast food diet in young healthy men," the Canadians wrote. "Therefore, these findings contradict the popular belief of the general population."

"Indeed, our results may be useful for clinical and practical purposes. It is important to educate health care professionals and athletes/coaches regarding the potential protective effects of high intensity interval training against a fast food diet."

"Nevertheless, these findings should be considered preliminary, but they may stimulate interest for additional research on the impact of a fast food diet in combination with high intensity interval training on metabolic diseases in different populations."

Sponsor
The study was funded by the University of Montreal.

Source:
Nutrients. 2017 Aug 26;9(9).

they ate junk for 2 weeks and exercised for 14 weeks... seems like a logical study.

they ate junk for 2 weeks and exercised for 14 weeks... seems like a logical study.

Hmm this part isn't very clear. It does say they did a junk food only diet for two weeks and that the "experiment" lasted 14 weeks. This doesn't necessarily say they suddenly ate clean and continued HIIT for 12 weeks. They should have clarified.

The reason I try to keep up with my HIIT is ENERGY. It is amazing how much better I feel when I keep up with the cardio.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The reason I try to keep up with my HIIT is ENERGY. It is amazing how much better I feel when I keep up with the cardio.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

True. I can hardly get through my day when I didn’t have my morning cardio session. It might be all in my head but I don’t care, it’s motivation enough for me to do my cardio 7 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like cardio like walking, but I hate HIIT. If I lift weights and eat a healthy diet, I do not need anything else.

I like HIIT because I hate cardio. I feel like I get the benefit of a good wakeup in the morning feeling fresh, but I can be done in 20 minutes.

For the article- 2weeks of junk food followed by 12 weeks of HIIT?, Gonna guess it would be easy to burn that Big Mac off......

I like HIIT because I hate cardio. I feel like I get the benefit of a good wakeup in the morning feeling fresh, but I can be done in 20 minutes.

For the article- 2weeks of junk food followed by 12 weeks of HIIT?, Gonna guess it would be easy to burn that Big Mac off......

Is that what they're saying? It doesn't really seem clear to me. If it is, then it's a bad study

Noting pulls BF off of me faster than morning fasted HIIT cardio and evening weight training.

Regardless of the study what do you guys do for HIIT?

I dont think my knees could take 30 x 60 second sprints every. single. day.

Elliptical most days....stair stepper sometimes.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Stationary bike.

All out high resistance (20-25 depending on bike) x 20 seconds
Active rest low resistance (3-5 depending on bike) x 60 seconds

10 cycles

I don't know if riding a bike is sufficiently "high" intensity or not, but with the hills that I have around here, my heartrate cycles up and down and that's my goto exercise as of late (but now brought indoors with a smart trainer that I just bought).

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to do 10 cycles of sprinting: a near all-out effort for 60 seconds sprinting followed by 120 seconds of walking. Normally by my 4th or 5th cycle, my heartrate was over 90% of my theoretical max.

HIIT seems to work for a lot of people without the cardio dread. I usually do it on the track inside the gym to start things off. I have it down to almost running 1 lap and then walking half a lap. Not ideal timing wise, but easier than messing with a tapata timer.

That was a very short term study. I would like to see a long term one showing the results of HIIT.

We are all doing HIT in my opinion through weight training.

It amazes me who often this is overlook.

We are all doing HIT in my opinion through weight training.

It amazes me who often this is overlook.

Debatable. I agree if thinking of heavy squats, deads, etc. But everything else, no.

If you think lifting is HIIT, then you aren’t doing HIIT correct.

Bought a Bowflex Max Trainer, great for intervals. Lower impact on the knees similar to the elliptical. The old Airdynes are great for intervals too in terms of using a bike because of the handles for upper body.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws