advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reason Alcoholics are Alcoholics (so they say)

SKY_COWBOY

Banned
hey guys, i know a lot of us who are in recovery and who are not, have wondered "why me"...i received this diagram the other day and it shows how a "normal" person and an "alcoholic" process alcohol thru their bodies...i just wanted to share it.

click the link as when i just would attach the pic, it was too damn big...if u have any questions about the pic, i can be of some help, as it has a lot to do with science and how your body responds to the breakdown of alcohol.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52322&stc=1&d=1333650184

Links not working for me bud but youve got me itnerested

It says invalid attachment, but I'm curious to see what it says.

here is the pic of the paper i received...i know it's a big pic, but i didn't know how to shrink it....

Attachments

• alcohol2.jpg
    alcohol2.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 255
hey guys, i know a lot of us who are in recovery and who are not, have wondered "why me"...i received this diagram the other day and it shows how a "normal" person and an "alcoholic" process alcohol thru their bodies...i just wanted to share it.

click the link as when i just would attach the pic, it was too damn big...if u have any questions about the pic, i can be of some help, as it has a lot to do with science and how your body responds to the breakdown of alcohol.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52322&stc=1&d=1333650184

I'm an alcoholic because I drank too much, not because of how my body processed alcohol.

I have been sober for almost a year and a half and I never bought the argument that alcoholics are "allergic" to alcohol or that an alcoholics physiological response to the consumption of alcohol is any different than any other person.

I still go to about two or three meetings a week but I don't buy into alot of their ideas about powerlessness and such although I do feel it is a great program and I have watched it work wonders for people.

In my opinion the alcoholic and the drug addict are people who for whatever reason can't come to terms with their existence and their role in the universe, the alcohol and the drugs are just symptoms of a lost and helpless individual crying out in pain. The problem is not physical it is 100% spiritual in nature. (Just my opinion)

Hey what's up brother??
Looking at that drawing I see correlations to my past actions. There probably is validity to this in some cases. I know I searched and searched for an answer as to why I was that way. I even had an MRI done of my brain because I read that some Dr had found a link between alcoholism and head injuries. I have had a fractured skull and a half a dozen concusions as a kid. The Dr that did the MRI confirmed that I had some significant head injuries :banghead: but couldn't say it attiributed to me drinking the way I did (at that time I hadn't admitted that I was an alcoholic :rolleyes:) Then there is the theory that it is genetic. My mom's parents drank a lot!!! However my dad's parents never even touched it. Who knows why :confused: There are many ideas as to why people get addicted to things.
Here is the good news! There is a solution that I found to work. It has worked for many others I know who give it and honest attempt. That solutions is the 12 Steps of AA, CA, NA whateverA. It doesn't focus on the why, it focuses on the solution! If anyone would like more info on this I'd be happy to help!

God Bless
Renewlyf
Sobriety Date 10/24/09

I'm an alcoholic because I drank too much, not because of how my body processed alcohol.

i hear you bro. this is what some "experts" say is the reason why some people can drink, and others 'need' to drink and how the body processes it....i am not saying this is correct...i was just putting it out there....no offense bro!~

Dr. Silkworth in "The Doctors Opinion" from the Big Book of AA sums it up best..."men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol." basically, people like to get screwed up.

Dr. Silkworth in "The Doctors Opinion" from the Big Book of AA sums it up best..."men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol." basically, people like to get screwed up.

you are correct...but how come i can drink 10-12 and be buzzed but still function and want more, and my father can only drink 1-2 and be shitfaced and ready for a nap...because alcohol is a poison...and depending how your body handles the alcohol...is how one becomes able to drink quantites...

you are correct...but how come i can drink 10-12 and be buzzed but still function and want more, and my father can only drink 1-2 and be shitfaced and ready for a nap...because alcohol is a poison...and depending how your body handles the alcohol...is how one becomes able to drink quantites...
Thought this was common knowledge....
Some people can 'handle' only a tiny bit while others can 'handle' a lot. Although it's prob. more common for one who experiences the "good" feeling and being able to drink large quantities to use alcoholically, both can use alcoholically and both can use non-alcoholically(unless already an alcoholic) or even either not drinking at all. There are just too many variables....

Last edited:
i hear you bro. this is what some "experts" say is the reason why some people can drink, and others 'need' to drink and how the body processes it....i am not saying this is correct...i was just putting it out there....no offense bro!~

No offense taken bro. I blame myself for my drinking, noting else. It was very interesting though. Thanks for posting.

Maybe because you have built up a tolerance because of your alcoholism. You read about alcoholics drinking more than a 1/5 a day. A non abuser might die from that. Handling your liquor either means you drink moderately to stay in control, or you are so used to alcohol it takes much more for you to get high. Just like any other drug. Tolerance. Not good.

Interestingly busy chart. If its important to someone to understand why they are an alcoholic, maybe this chart has some answers.

I haven't had a drink in going on 5 years. I never really spent a lot of time wondering why I can't responsibly drink. All I know for sure is that can't drink.

Maybe because you have built up a tolerance because of your alcoholism. You read about alcoholics drinking more than a 1/5 a day. A non abuser might die from that. Handling your liquor either means you drink moderately to stay in control, or you are so used to alcohol it takes much more for you to get high. Just like any other drug. Tolerance. Not good.

Interestingly busy chart. If its important to someone to understand why they are an alcoholic, maybe this chart has some answers.

I haven't had a drink in going on 5 years. I never really spent a lot of time wondering why I can't responsibly drink. All I know for sure is that can't drink.

very true bro...tolerance, or the build-up of resistance is something i didn't mention...thanks for adding that...

Thought this was common knowledge....
Some people can 'handle' only a tiny bit while others can 'handle' a lot. Although it's prob. more common for one who experiences the "good" feeling and being able to drink large quantities to use alcoholically, both can use alcoholically and both can use non-alcoholically(unless already an alcoholic) or even either not drinking at all. There are just too many variables....

again, very true...i am in no means an expert, as i battle with my demons everyday...i noway am saying i am an expert..and just cause i stayed at a holiday inn express, doesn't mean shit when it comes to the truth....don't drink the 1st one...

I rarely ever drink but when I do Im still one of the last ones standing. Guess its genetics

drunk

been sober for 3 months I find that everything is a routine to me including drinking I am very compulsive every thing becomes a habit when I drink it will be the same time everyday till drunk if i take working out it becomes a great habit and has so many positive results if i am going to be adiditced it might as well be to something positive plus if I miss a workout I do not go thru withdrawls

Like Tyrone said there are lots of different variables, genetics, enviorment, tolerance. I was drinking 2 btls of vodka a day, 2+ grams of coke and 200-300mgs of vicodin a day plus a few sleeping pills added in to go to sleep. I did all that and worked and mantained a some what normal outward appearance atleast until the evening. That was a habit I built up over many years. It just kept taking more to get the desired effect. I'm very very grateful I didn't die. This disease is cunning, baffeling and powerful as the big book says.

Last edited:
Coming up on 3 years.... I don't understand the how and why but do know what happens when I do. I think the majority of my life I felt bad, drinking and drugs made me feel good and I went with it. Constantly concerned with how I feel... The less I think about me the happier I am.

renewlyf said it best....putting a mask on thruought the day...and you could somewhat cope...until night set in...and then boredem set in

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws