advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Recovering from Upper Extremity DVT,any suggestions?

G.A.U.L.S.

Registered
Got a friend who suffered an Upper Extremity DVT last year. He had venous thrombectomy done to remove the clots. Most were removed but there is still a piece of fibrin that is blocking the axillary vein with some blood passing through a hole in it.

The guy's been out of lifting for a bit and wants to get re-started. He's been doing a daily regimen of LMW Heparin shots, Bromelain,Serrapeptase, Vit E and Aspirin to thin the blood and reduce inflammation at the site. Do you guys have any recommendations that can help with inflammation and restoring venous patency to near 100%?

Have him explore all the Drs and technology try to get all the clot out of his body, they will harden and become a permanent. Take aspirin daily, get blood work performed often, stay away from drugs like EQ. If he has an operation and has to be put under, become active asap after the surgery to reduce the change of more clots.

Regards

Got a friend who suffered an Upper Extremity DVT last year. He had venous thrombectomy done to remove the clots. Most were removed but there is still a piece of fibrin that is blocking the axillary vein with some blood passing through a hole in it.

The guy's been out of lifting for a bit and wants to get re-started. He's been doing a daily regimen of LMW Heparin shots, Bromelain,Serrapeptase, Vit E and Aspirin to thin the blood and reduce inflammation at the site. Do you guys have any recommendations that can help with inflammation and restoring venous patency to near 100%?

Have the docs considered any fibrinolytic treatment? Does it make sense regardless of MD opinion?

Pentosan has shown that it qualifies for such treatment.

ScienceDirect.com - Fibrinolysis - The action of polyanionic agents defibrotide and pentosan sulphate on fibrinolytic activity in the laboratory rat

amongst other citations. It's differentiated from heparin, warfarin in this respect, although it is a potent blood thinner as well.

I'd at least push his doctors about this course of treatment.

Best of luck to your friend.

Not much he can do at this point. He needs to be patient and allow the heparin to maintain his PTT/INR. Last thing he should be thinking is jumping back on. He reclots and it's either another DVT, PE or a stroke. In that case he'll probably end up with an IVC filter and be out even longer. Tell him to lay off the green leafy vegies too!

Make sure your friend is taking baby aspirin (81mg). This is important. Adult aspirin for anticoagulation is too much. It inhibits prostacyclin and becomes less effective. This is why we take baby aspirin for blood thinning, not b/c a daily dose would be toxic!

Having been through pulmonary embolism ( caused from daughter falling asleep on my lap for several hours on international flight) I can say they are scary.

I would really suggest your mate do as much investigation as possible. Rule out genetic clotting factors with haemotologist etc.

Odd to see he is on the injections as well as aspirin. He has to be careful to not thin the blood to much as bleeding is also a consideration. His INR will have to monitored by an expert and hope they get the clot under control. Sometimes they just take time.

I hope he has a good outcome.

Have him explore all the Drs and technology try to get all the clot out of his body, they will harden and become a permanent. Take aspirin daily, get blood work performed often, stay away from drugs like EQ. If he has an operation and has to be put under, become active asap after the surgery to reduce the change of more clots.

Regards

The majority of the clots were cleared except for one blocking the axillary vein.Hardened is the stage it's long reached. He's stayed off of everything from the clot formation until now. If anything were to be restarted, the only thing he would consider is a low dose Stanozolol due to its fibrinolytic potential. He became ambulatory shortly after surgery, walking and light cardio only.

Hypolipidemic, Antioxidant and Antiinflammatory Activities of Microalgae Spirulina

He could print that off and discuss with his physician,Hopefully that helps.

Thanks Stewie, will let him know to check it out.

Have the docs considered any fibrinolytic treatment? Does it make sense regardless of MD opinion?

Pentosan has shown that it qualifies for such treatment.

ScienceDirect.com - Fibrinolysis - The action of polyanionic agents defibrotide and pentosan sulphate on fibrinolytic activity in the laboratory rat

amongst other citations. It's differentiated from heparin, warfarin in this respect, although it is a potent blood thinner as well.

I'd at least push his doctors about this course of treatment.

Best of luck to your friend.

Thanks for that suggestion! Will let him know as well. Is this administered SubQ like LMW Heparin?

Not much he can do at this point. He needs to be patient and allow the heparin to maintain his PTT/INR. Last thing he should be thinking is jumping back on. He reclots and it's either another DVT, PE or a stroke. In that case he'll probably end up with an IVC filter and be out even longer. Tell him to lay off the green leafy vegies too!

He's not too big a fan of veggies, so no worries there.

Make sure your friend is taking baby aspirin (81mg). This is important. Adult aspirin for anticoagulation is too much. It inhibits prostacyclin and becomes less effective. This is why we take baby aspirin for blood thinning, not b/c a daily dose would be toxic!

Mag...does Aspirin effectively anticoagulate venous blood as well as it does arterial blood? Thanks for the info about prostacyclin too.

Pentosan is IM only as far as I know - I haven't come across any mention of SubQ in any of the literature.

GAULS,

Just as a warning if he had a significant DVT, even though stanzolol has fibrinolytic properties, ALL anabolics will increase chance of clot formation big time. As a physician i would be highly against him being on anything minus very controlled TRT dosages. I hate to sound like a broken record but high dose high quality omega 3 fish oil are his friends. Nordic Naturals is one of the highest rated Omega 3s over the market that comes from Norway and is available on Amazon.com etc and i would be taking 4-6grams daily if i were him on top of the ASA and heparin he is taking.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear