over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rep speed

RazorCuts

Registered
Rep speed

The fact is you have to do several rep schemes in your overall training. Super slo reps and medium reps are two examples of rep schemes.

There are slo reps. Super slo reps. Medium reps. Fast reps done with force. Smooth reps with a hold at the end. Stutter reps, rest pause reps, negative reps, assisted reps, and isometric reps. All of these have a place in your training. Give each one a fair chance, and you will come to understand that each one has something to offer. The bottom line is no matter what rep scheme you are using you must:

Lift progressively. Add weight to the bar; i.e. get stronger.

Contract your muscles hard with multiple sets of both high and low reps (not always at the same workout). A good contraction, is very important.

Lift intensely but not so hard you overtrain yourself.

Personally I go slow for the first 4 reps of a set, intentionally trying to let the muscles really feel those first reps and to be careful, then for the next reps I try to mentally explode and or speed up the reps, however the speed of the rep still looks smooth and slow as now I am tired from the first slow reps. Though I am trying to push hard and fast on the reps now, the bar is still moving slow. It takes practice but this is a great way to get the most out of every set. If the bar starts to move to fast, just slow down. You have to try to get as much out of each rep and each set as possible.

Sometimes once I am warmed up I might mix it up: I like doing 15 high rep squats with a medium speed, then end with 5 super slo reps. That really kicks up the intensity. Experiment with all rep schemes.

For the most part do slow to medium reps. Never jerk or bounce the reps. Better slower than faster.

Super Slow TRAINING

Like other cycles and methods of training Super Slo training is enjoying a big reassugance as of this writing in 2004. There are even super slo gyms. I await the day for the return of PLYOMETRIC gyms. Anyway..

Super slow reps are just another way to approach a rep. It can be valuable and fun.

The standard protocol is 10 to 20 second positives with 5 to 10 second negatives. NO stopping, you do the rep slowly and smoothly. It takes practice to perform correct super slow reps.

I like to do my slow reps SUPER SLOW. Much slower than the norm (I do the normal ones too). I have found that reps with a 30 to 50 second positives and 20 to 30 second negatives, combined with stutter reps and static holding (just stopping for a few seconds) can be very effective. 2 or 3 reps like this can be more than enough for 1 set.

I find Super Slo a valuable tool in the bodybuilder's arsenal of tactics, but it is not a magic routine. Do it for a few weeks or once in a while do a super slo workout, it's excellent to use it with other rep combinations. It's painful and takes real concentration to perform correctly (like most good weight lifting) so give it several weeks if you decide to practice this technique. Super slow training can be fun. I get very intense contractions using it.

Junk!

I have to disagree on the value of SuperSlow.

This virtually worthless prorocol was an outgrowth od something Nautilus did called the Osteoporosis Project. This was aimed at increasing bone density in older/elderly people, and the SuperSlow protocol was developed to reduce the cahnce of injury in this group. It was a good approach for this group, and this purpose. It also has some limited, but effective application in the initail phase of injury rehab, especially joint rehab. Because you lift so slowly (10 second lift, and 5 second lower), you control the weight, and cut the weight WAY down.

As a bodybuilding protocol it worthless.
At least one pro nearly destroyed his career following Darden on this worthless training method, and a number of other bodybuilders quit in disgust after watching their hard-earned gains begin to melt away. The chief proponent of this - Ken Hutchins of the "SuperSlow Guild, who was the technician on the project, and then claimed this protocol for his own (Guild??? Is this the 15th century??) - is openly distainful of anything, including science, that contradicts his theories. He has continued the grand tradition started by Jones and carried forth by Darden and Mentzer of claiming to have all the answers, and ignoring any evidence to the contrary.

Great post Dad keep the info coming.
We need your input since you are one of the most experienced here.

RC

i recently changed my routine

and this was one of my major changes... increasing the time under tension...

i was performing my reps at a pretty fast rate,, 10-12 reps of some good weight.. well, for me.. i was following a 2-1-1 rate thats 2 on the negative, one sec pause, and one as the positive.

now i am following a 4-2-2.. and my weight i have been pushing has really decreased, but i get better pumps,. and the next day i am way more sore..

reason i changed, i had reached a piont of not getting sore no matter how hard i blasted my muscles..

well, this change has brought some GREAT changes.. more sore., and better pumps.. i think this will bring me some good gains..

maxsupplements said:
and this was one of my major changes... increasing the time under tension...

i was performing my reps at a pretty fast rate,, 10-12 reps of some good weight.. well, for me.. i was following a 2-1-1 rate thats 2 on the negative, one sec pause, and one as the positive.

now i am following a 4-2-2.. and my weight i have been pushing has really decreased, but i get better pumps,. and the next day i am way more sore..

reason i changed, i had reached a piont of not getting sore no matter how hard i blasted my muscles..

well, this change has brought some GREAT changes.. more sore., and better pumps.. i think this will bring me some good gains..

have u also noticed hypertrophy, ever since u changed to a 4-2-2?

well, ill tell you this

ive been SORER than i have been in years.. i have noticed my body making some odd changes in only 3 weeks... im getting leaner, and im not as strong, but my muscles seem to have stayed awfully full... nice full bellies... and also, i have thrown in some static holds if i can make it to the 10th rep..

seems like my weight when i do this goes like this.. take bench for instance

starts with 135lbs... 12 reps
2nd set: 135lbs... 14 reps..
3rd set: 185lbs... 10 reps
4th set: 185lbs... 6 reps
5th set: 155lbs... 10 reps + static hold

ill tell you, its odd, it seems like i get really strong after my two warm up sets.. and then it declines.. as if my muscles cant hold anymore..

this was last nite.. and it was a GREAT workout.. i am sooo sore today..
i can complete about 4 exercise for large body parts. and 3 for my smaller ones.. doing around 5 sets for each exercise..

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws