over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reps vs Poundage

Vespa103

Registered
Ok I know this is an old debate and I wish I knew how to post a poll.

Who is using high reps and who is using heavy weights?

I recently dislocated my shoulder so I went back to gym and did high reps, amazing thing is I wound up just as blown up and pumped as I would with heavy weight except nothing hurt

Who here trains with volume and who trains heavy? Everyone slams the pros that train light weights and reps yet they look great. These guys don't even admit it because it is considered shameful. So who here is huge yet goes light?

kind of a hard question

I don't think you should equate higher reps with light weights. and lower reps with heavy weights.

if your trying to hit 14 reps and you pick a weight that allows you to fall around that rep range i wouldn't necessarily say thats a light weight. It is just a weight that allows for more reps and a longer TUT.

what do you consider low reps vs high reps?

One thing I will say is that heavy is relative, its more about tension on a muscle than total poundage. so in order to provide proper tension execution of the movement has to be taken into consideration.

One should incorporate both lower and higher reps into their training in some way but if you are injured I think you should focus more on 'weight constant training' instead of pushing ur shoulder too hard. using a slightly higher rep range for now might not be a bad idea either.

Last edited:
I've personally always used a higher rep range myself. Between 10-15, I don't get a pump in any muscle at all using a lower rep range. Plus it hurts my joints way to much. But I agree heavy is a relative term as well. For instance I use a rep range on my seated military press of 11-14 and my working weight for that exercise is currently 310lbs. Heavy to me? No but to others yes.

I love light weights

I get great pumps and haven't had any injuries in a long time. For example I like to do seated shoulder presses with 115 lbs. on an olympic bar. I do incline presses on the hammer machine with just two 45's on each side. My reps are generally between 15 and 20 and the most important part of my workout is the feel of each rep in a strict controlled manor. I am 52 and have honestly never looked better. I believe Serge Nubret trains in a similar manner and he could blow away guys 40 years younger than him. I like high volume and sometimes do 10 sets of 15 reps on a single exercise. Try that with 90 seconds rest between 10 sets and you will have all the intensity of any other method. I believe it was Lee haney who said you don't have to bench 400...just look like you can. Just my 2 cents...

Tom

Yeah I am not saying never to go heavy but I am doing like 50 reps then 40, 30 and down to like 2-3 at 15. I have heard the same thing about Serge and some others. Of course I just started lifting after a 5 week break due to dislocation. Will see how it goes its just real nice to be lifitng again.

Honestly, I didn't start responding until the weights got heavy. But I feel that once you've lifted a certain amount of heavy weight, established a good frame with size and muscle, it doesn't take as much weight to maintain it. But I definitely feel that heavy weights build bigger muscles. I've yet to see a guy with a huge 60" chest who only pushed two plates.

BrooklynBB said:
Honestly, I didn't start responding until the weights got heavy. But I feel that once you've lifted a certain amount of heavy weight, established a good frame with size and muscle, it doesn't take as much weight to maintain it. But I definitely feel that heavy weights build bigger muscles. I've yet to see a guy with a huge 60" chest who only pushed two plates.
I agree with this.........

BrooklynBB said:

Bump this.

For me, heavier weights= more strength. More strength= more muscle mass.

To stimulate muscle growth ya got to go heavy simple as that.
Muscles will adapt to light lifting quick that means no reason for
the muscle to increase in size. Allso you keep doing all thoughs
reps you'll burn out quick too. You'll get a good pump but that's
about it. Some will disagree I'm sure but it works for me and all
the guys that I've lifted with through out.

As heavy as I can, shooting for 15 -20 reps on most things. My key is to maintain good form and to stay fluid.
I like strength more than size. How many real strong guys are small, not too many.

but what is heavy?

Is heavy the amount of weight on the bar? or what the muscle is experiencing?

which provides more pectoral stimulation of the 2 examples?

Benching 300 lbs in regular fashion (right below the pecs)

or

Benching 205 to around the neck region with very precise form.

STEVO 47 said:
what the muscle's experiencing. You can do 205 strick and build but
to continue growth you'll need to add more weight as long as
you can still get 8 to10 reps in. You stay at 205 and just keep adding
reps well here comes adapting to that weight. Anything the muscle's
not use to doing besides adding alot of reps. changing exercises helps
as long as you use mod to heavy. Like I said This is what works for
me anyway. For close to thirty years this has been pounded in my
head by a lot of rep people, articles I've read and by a lot of big M.Fers
I knew.

Last edited:
well damn it....

i seem to be the only panzy-ass who uses less weight than some of the women at the gym!!! at least i think i could still beat them in combat LOL

Armageddon said:
As heavy as I can, shooting for 15 -20 reps on most things. My key is to maintain good form and to stay fluid.
I like strength more than size. How many real strong guys are small, not too many.
But i have seen many powerlifters that are smaller than bodybuilders but much stronger than them. i was a perfect example of that back in my powerlifting days.

alan1973 said:
But i have seen many powerlifters that are smaller than bodybuilders but much stronger than them. i was a perfect example of that back in my powerlifting days.

I bet you were also eating to stay within a weight class and not trying to be as big or heavy as you can. That is where I see many falling into this.
Heavy is something based on and individuals strength. Your not talking about heavy when talking about how to do an exercise, that falls under form. At least that's how I look at it.

Please don't judge someones strength by what you see them lifting in the gym I can lift a lot more than I train with now. When I first started lifting I could barely lift the weights I used. Yes I know exact reason to go heavier but thats besides the point. Don't try to do the I saw him do x weight for y reps math so he must be weaker than me. It just doesn't work that way

Vespa103 said:
Please don't judge someones strength by what you see them lifting in the gym I can lift a lot more than I train with now. When I first started lifting I could barely lift the weights I used. Yes I know exact reason to go heavier but thats besides the point. Don't try to do the I saw him do x weight for y reps math so he must be weaker than me. It just doesn't work that way

You lost me on this one. But I really don't pay attention to others in the gym while there training.

Conan21 said:
Is heavy the amount of weight on the bar? or what the muscle is experiencing?

which provides more pectoral stimulation of the 2 examples?

Benching 300 lbs in regular fashion (right below the pecs)

or

Benching 205 to around the neck region with very precise form.

Can you give us the answer to this, im going with #2???

I personally believe the sweet spot for mass and strength on large muscles is 6-8 reps. Anything less then 6 doesn't seem to tax the muscle enough although it strains joints and ligaments. How quickly you get to the sweet spot and how many sets you do are major considerations as well. I don't pyramid anymore. I attempt to get up to what ever weight will only allow 6-8 and end with couple or three sets at that level.

This is only true for large muscles, as i still seem to do calves, biceps, flys and shaping exercises exercises at higher reps.

I did about 6 weeks seriously adapting my routine to Peter Littles Power Factor Specialization and I found that to be the least imnpressive workout experience in 30 years of lifting.

Allbeef

My point is the little guys who see you doing a warmup set then immedietly jump on the machine and kill themeselves using the same weight then convince themeselves there somehow stronger. Completely delusional. A lot of guys heard about Nasser only doing 15 reps with 315 and started saying they were stronger laughable. Its a reply to the I was stronger than bbers when I powerlifted post someone made

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws