YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest Pause = Greater Volume maybe greater hypertrophy?

anyone's guess. looks like this study just shows inc. volume in rest pause group which would make sense because rest pause is more like endurance training when compared to straight sets with 2 min rest before next set.

Rest pause will annihilate your nervous system if your going balls to the wall.

But it works wonders for muscle growth with my particular body. Back and legs are probably the hardest to do real all out rest pause sets. Pick a weight you can get for 10 and rest pause that bitch till you get 20. Love it. Leg press is a great rest pause tool and Dumbell rows for back

But it works wonders for muscle growth with my particular body. Back and legs are probably the hardest to do real all out rest pause sets. Pick a weight you can get for 10 and rest pause that bitch till you get 20. Love it. Leg press is a great rest pause tool and Dumbell rows for back
Rest pause will destroy you, no doubt, but nothing punishes me and induces more growth than drop sets..I'll incorp drop sets with arms,chest,shoulders, I'll be lucky if I can scratch my nose when I'm done.

the study wasnt rest pause like dc style.
it was 80% of max done with rest between each rep.
versus straight sets to failure.
of course 4 seconds between each rep is gonna lead to more reps per set than balls out to failure.

the study wasnt rest pause like dc style.
it was 80% of max done with rest between each rep.
versus straight sets to failure.
of course 4 seconds between each rep is gonna lead to more reps per set than balls out to failure.

exactly. it seems more like "cluster sets" than r/p

Question.... Am I just being a bitch?

Recently I've been trying some rest pause. Usually I'll hit an all out set to failure for 12-16 reps. Take ten deep breaths and canusually only get 2-3 more reps then can't even do a third round. Thoughts?

Recently I've been trying some rest pause. Usually I'll hit an all out set to failure for 12-16 reps. Take ten deep breaths and canusually only get 2-3 more reps then can't even do a third round. Thoughts?

I'd personally:

- Increase weight and shoot for lower rep range on first round
- Take longer rest periods (15-20 breaths)
- target total rep range of 20-22

Most the time by third round I'm only getting 2-4 reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them!

I use restpause to break through plateaus/when gains stall on progressive overload. Use it for 1-3 workouts then "consolidate" those extra reps into your straight set as you supercompensate. Then drop restpause until next plateau.

This allows me to break through plateaus and achieve progressive overload when that has stalled. It is a tricky thing though to decide if you are stalling due to overtraining (then you deload instead of add CNS intense strategies like restpause).

It has worked wonders for me over the years. I think doing restpause all the time unless you are really blasting AAS for recovery would be a recipe for overtraining....

Ok 12-16 reps then 2-3 more you could be doing anywhere from 15-20 reps. To me that's the rep range I like to do rest pause with. But it's all instinctual. I'm not going to tell you what your rep range should be because your body will tell you. If your training balls out you'll know it. You'll be leaning over a bench after every set, just be confident with what you do. If you can't do a 3rd round it's probably because you burned up all the ATP in the muscle and you need to let it rest for a few minutes.

Warning though rest pause will destroy you so use it sparingly and get lots of rest

I am in the same boat. If I TRULY hit failure the first set. That short break might only get me a few more and by the 3rd attempt I am lucky to hit a single.

I love fortitude training. 6 sets 4 reps is the goal. Last set is to failure. It can wipe a guys out. There is 2 days out of the 4 workouts a week that are designed around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat. If I TRULY hit failure the first set. That short break might only get me a few more and by the 3rd attempt I am lucky to hit a single.

You guys are thinking way too much about this stuff. Just lift heavy weight till failure. True all out failure. Don't do all these pussy machine excercises everyone on Instagram does. Lift like a maniac. That's it. It's that simple.

Reading the thread title I thought about this exact thing. If I go to failure say 8-10 or 10-12 reps, then rest for 15 breaths, I often get ZERO additional reps. :D
I asked about this a few years ago on another forum and everyone got several reps second and third round, and these were advanced bodybuilders. I wonder why. In real life from what I've seen I'm not uncommon, if we talk about advanced trainees. Could be how hard the last rep is, if you only go to "almost failure" and don't grind that last rep real hard and long.

You guys are thinking way too much about this stuff. Just lift heavy weight till failure. True all out failure. Don't do all these pussy machine excercises everyone on Instagram does. Lift like a maniac. That's it. It's that simple.

If I could "love" a post I would this one! Unfortunately all I can do is like.

Fair enough, I was just curious how it works out for most people

Recently I've been trying some rest pause. Usually I'll hit an all out set to failure for 12-16 reps. Take ten deep breaths and canusually only get 2-3 more reps then can't even do a third round.

Reading the thread title I thought about this exact thing. If I go to failure say 8-10 or 10-12 reps, then rest for 15 breaths, I often get ZERO additional reps.

There is a lot of confusion that lies in the semantics. A DC rest-pause set is "one" set with three failure points. Realistically though, if the weight has been racked, the set is over. Truly it is three sets with the same weight and short rest periods between them. However, the argument has been made that by keeping the rest periods between each of them brief, you trick the body into thinking it performed more reps continually as if it were one set. So that bears the questions: how long is too long? and at what point does it become ineffective and is now classified as straight sets with the same weight? 15 deep breaths is the guideline, but you can make that last seconds or minutes depending on how you breathe.

I always sought out for time. In Dante's interviews back in the 2000's, older threads at IM, and David Henry articles 20 seconds was the number that was mentioned. I always went by that with a stopwatch. In doing so, all my rest-pause sets had to be at least 8 reps on the first loop and most of mine looked like 8+2+2=12. Generally, I'd get 2-3 on the second loop and 1-2 on the last. It would depend on the exercise and how high the reps were. The higher the reps, the more I'd get on each subsequent loop. Reading some training journals, people talk about getting 6+4+3=13. Not a chance in hell I could get that. Anything less than 8 reps and I'd get zero on the next loop.

Now, watching Dusty's videos on YouTube; he does commentary on a few workouts and he states two things: that the rest periods are about 40 seconds (double what I'd read) and that you should be getting half the reps each time. So for example: 12+6+3=21.

Here he gets 13+7+6=26
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmbgXMYB9QA/?hl=en&taken-by=dustyhanshaw08

Wojo and Franco rest about 40 seconds on smith inclines in the DC DVD, shorter on incline dumbbell curls.

So do any DC experts have their input on this? The inevitable "you're overthinking, just lift" comments will roll in, but I think they're good questions. I'd like to be getting more reps on the second and third loops without resting too long and losing the effects of the rest-pause parameters. There is obviously a cutoff point where the rest period is too long to no longer be a rest-pause set.

You just need to keep things consistent. The rest periods are going to be different for everyone along with aiming for reps. Aim for a specific rep range for your first set and try to beat that all while keeping your rest periods the same. Rest pause is still about progressive overload. There is no right or wrong way to go about them with rest period timing. For those going long rest periods, they are simply trying to get more reps.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws