advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest Pause = Greater Volume maybe greater hypertrophy?

However you do it rest pause is good way to change up your routine just like supper sets, giant sets etc.

You just need to keep things consistent. The rest periods are going to be different for everyone along with aiming for reps. Aim for a specific rep range for your first set and try to beat that all while keeping your rest periods the same. Rest pause is still about progressive overload. There is no right or wrong way to go about them with rest period timing. For those going long rest periods, they are simply trying to get more reps.

However you do it rest pause is good way to change up your routine just like supper sets, giant sets etc.

Oh, ok. I'm going to rest 4 hours between each loop. That way I can likely get the same reps on each one and thus create greater overload. 15+15+15=45.

Oh, ok. I'm going to rest 4 hours between each loop. That way I can likely get the same reps on each one and thus create greater overload. 15+15+15=45.

You start a topic of concern, get an answer, then want to be a smart ass? That's how you make it far in life.

You start a topic of concern, get an answer, then want to be a smart ass? That's how you make it far in life.

Your answer pertained to nothing I discussed. I read it and it was clear to me that you didn't read my post at all.

The question is to determine what distinguishes rest-pause from a straight set. There is a point when you wait too long and you do not reap the benefits of what is trying to be accomplished with the method. Metabolic stress and all sorts of stuff going on that someone like homonunculus could articulate.

You made generic statements.

Your answer pertained to nothing I discussed. I read it and it was clear to me that you didn't read my post at all.

The question is to determine what distinguishes rest-pause from a straight set. There is a point when you wait too long and you do not reap the benefits of what is trying to be accomplished with the method. Metabolic stress and all sorts of stuff going on that someone like homonunculus could articulate.

You made generic statements.

Sure, of course if you're taking 60+ seconds in between each rest pause, that is taking away from the sole purpose. But even if doing up to 40 seconds as Dusty did, he surely isn't going to get/beat his first rest pause set attempt. I also recall Dusty is doing these longer rest periods on arms, not something like chest or back.

Remember, Dusty is working with Dante again, and he is running his training, so if the originator of DC is telling him to do 40 second rest periods, I think he has some sort of idea what he is doing.

15 deep breaths on rest pause sets. About 30-45 seconds depending on individual.

Sure, of course if you're taking 60+ seconds in between each rest pause, that is taking away from the sole purpose. But even if doing up to 40 seconds as Dusty did, he surely isn't going to get/beat his first rest pause set attempt. I also recall Dusty is doing these longer rest periods on arms, not something like chest or back.

Remember, Dusty is working with Dante again, and he is running his training, so if the originator of DC is telling him to do 40 second rest periods, I think he has some sort of idea what he is doing.

Most definitely. So if you can still reap the benefits with 40 seconds and get more reps, then it would seem to be better. I know when I was adhering to 20 seconds it was very demanding on the CNS. I was doing the 3 way for the shorter workout time and I still felt like I got hit by a truck.

Pause reps, bit different

Another good technique is pause reps, where you hold the rep at the end of the eccentric movement for a given duration of seconds and the complete the concentric portion. In squats that would be a pause at the very bottom of the squat for say 5 seconds and then coming back up. That will wreck you. Having to do the static hold at the hardest part of the movement tears you down fast. Basically doing an isometric contraction. In the bench you wouldn't be resting the bar on your chest but rather holding the bar just above your chest. Youll have to drop a considerable amount of weight but you will really be sore the next day. I felt that built a lot of strength for me in the squat.

Last edited:
Most definitely. So if you can still reap the benefits with 40 seconds and get more reps, then it would seem to be better. I know when I was adhering to 20 seconds it was very demanding on the CNS. I was doing the 3 way for the shorter workout time and I still felt like I got hit by a truck.

Rest pause/DC style training is going to be very demanding on the CNS no matter which way you go about it. In my opinion, doing rest pause with more rest time on smaller body parts just allows for more total reps, which some individuals find they respond better to higher reps with body parts such as arms.

Isnt this study talking about Dead Stop reps?

(4-s unloaded rest between repetitions)...unloaded rest. So on a DB row you are letting the weight rest on the ground...ie, dead stop between reps. JM calls these rest pause as well.

We think of rest pause as DC...this is nothing like that. :confused:

rest pause is incredible for growth. As ive gotten older and wiser I use it, but it requires a great deal of energy.
I do it with barbell curls -omg
leg press
And sometimes with back exercises.

That and drop sets or going down the rack (dumbells). Muscle grows from new or overload. I wish I knew what I know now in my 20's I would still have my joints

In my opinion, doing rest pause with more rest time on smaller body parts just allows for more total reps, which some individuals find they respond better to higher reps with body parts such as arms.

I think it works well for that. I used to do it in squats. When you hit failure and cant do any more reps then you stand there with the bar on your back and rest for say 10 seconds. Your knees are locked so its not putting any stress on your muscles holding it there. Its all on your bones. Then you try to do a rep. Rest as long as you feel like you need otherwise you may fail and have to dump the bar. Never happened to me. If you've been lifting for any length of time you know your body and know how long to rest. I used to do sets of 30 reps with a weight I could only get about 20 on.

I would not do squats like this if it were heavy weight, say reps under 10! Too risky.

100 rep squats

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owF_5ZO2OlE"]Ultrabeast 225lbs X 100 reps Squat - YouTube[/ame]

Guy doing 100 reps rest pause here. This is the kind of stuff I cant do now with my heart, id go into V fib! Impressive.

Last edited:
405 lbs for 42 reps!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7DYFYuf9Kw"]Full Squat 180kg(400lbs) x 42 Reps!!! - YouTube[/ame]

The PAUSED squat

This is what I talked about earlier and will absolutely toast you. For even more fun you can combine pause squats and rest pause! I did that some too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV711kwdeQw"]The PAUSED SQUAT: Untamed Special - YouTube[/ame]

I have been going to a gym with a Rogue a bench that has strap safeties and fat pad, but most pertinent is it has a mono lift attachment.
Its awesome because I can bench power lifter style and not loose my tightness when I unrack the weight nor have to lift it over my face or neck, but even cooler is I can put the weight back very easily right above my chest and wait like 30 seconds and take it out again. I can come very very close to failure over and over with a high intensity weight that I would normal be afraid to use for rest pause, because the monolift makes it possible and if that fails the straps protect my face and neck.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to set it up for incline. any tips?

sorry if Its not exactly what the thread is about, but Im pretty excited to be able to do rest pause on bench and with out a spotter at that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity