over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest period between sets

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So I couldnt really find anything on the search but curious to what type of time / rest between sets everyone takes. I take a longer rest period 1 to 1.5 minutes on bigger muscle work (bench, deadlifts, squats / presses) but on everything else I try to keep it short so I can keep my heart rate up to help drop my covid fat lol. (I know Covid was not an excuse but I went to total crap!!!

I prefer fast paced sessions. As soon as I've gotten a few breaths from one exercise, I'm loading plates on the next piece of equipment

I personally don't track it, like you said, larger muscles take longer to recover. As long as its not too long (fucking round in gym) or too short (trying to use training as your cardio) shouldn't make a big difference. The worst thing IMO someone can do is set a little timer or get obsessed over rest periods and take away from focusing on intensity and form.

I personally don't track it, like you said, larger muscles take longer to recover. As long as its not too long (fucking round in gym) or too short (trying to use training as your cardio) shouldn't make a big difference. The worst thing IMO someone can do is set a little timer or get obsessed over rest periods and take away from focusing on intensity and form.

Yea, I'm obviously taking a few more breaths between sets of barbell rows compared to curls lol

I've grown less accustomed to 'number of breaths' than just how I feel. I love to grind, so if a few seconds go by and I decide I want another fuckin rep, I'm going for it

I do look at my heart rate and like to keep it at least above 110 except for the big muscle groups.

As soon as I feel ready to give it my all for the next set. Generally that'll be longer than what I often see mentioned by BB'ers. I couldn't give my all on the next set if I only rested 1-1,5 minutes. So for me it's probably more like 3-5 minutes. (Between working sets)

This is also what the research for the most part concludes as being optimal. (Not that I still value weight training research highly but ok)

1 minute between warm-up sets

2 minutes between most work sets

3 minutes between new exercises if it requires setup

4-7 minutes if the reps are high on compound leg movements and deadlifts

When I used to train for Mass I would take about one minute in between sets compound movements mainly but that was many moons ago lol. Now I train for longevity and health and I honestly like fast-paced sessions with little to no rest 15 seconds or less or as long as it takes to get to the next exercise. I like to superset😁... my 2 💪💯💯

Bio-

Well to be honest, it depends what type of training your doing, the goal, muscle fiber and so forth.

I guess what I am saying is I am more analytical about it and my rest are dictated by cycle of programming.

Everyone thinks well 8-12 reps needs 60-90s, not true.

When I am doing certain hypertrophy like Giant Sets Accumulation, I rest 2 min. But if I am doing more of a Fat Loss lifting cycle, rests could be 10s between sets, and 30s between exercises.

Short breaks to burn more fat? That's ridiculous, use cardio and diet to burn fat, lift weights to build strength and muscle.

And there is no fixed rule, it depends on what you are training, the exercise, the number of rep ... personally I need more rest in the chest presses than in the squat or deadlift.

I dont like rushing through my sets. I feel like my strength takes quite a hit if breaks inbetween sets are too short. But thats just me and everyone is different.

2-2.5 minutes on everything.
longer rest = more intensity on each set. rest 1 minute? whats that gonna do? u do heavy 6-8 rep set and can do it again and again with 1 minute rest. then yr prolly doing 6-8 reps with a weight u'd fail with at 12....why bother

New research came out that longer rest periods are better for hypertrophy
I recently saw an ad or something that said that. Cant find it now. But it was interesting. However I am trying to cut some fat off so I keep it fairly short.

I take as long as I need on my main lifts and that can be 3 to 5 minutes on working sets. Dave Tate put it best - 'When you're ready, you're ready.'

On everything else I probably keep it around 1.5 minutes just because I like to keep a good pace to keep my momentum going.

Short breaks to burn more fat? That's ridiculous, use cardio and diet to burn fat, lift weights to build strength and muscle.

And there is no fixed rule, it depends on what you are training, the exercise, the number of rep ... personally I need more rest in the chest presses than in the squat or deadlift.

I don’t think that shorter brakes burn fat necessarily I just when I am in a deficit obviously not trying to pack on more muscle I just feel like the squeeze and volume does me better than to just try and lift heavy and taking long rest breaks maybe it’s mental maybe it’s not but I enjoy getting more of a pump this time of year and just Getting crazy like doing a lot more drop sets.
Just more fun

Shirt breaks definitely better for building up heart health. Wish I could do it now, but with my heart failure I have to take long breaks. I need to keep my heart rate down now.

I agree that for size and especially strength, it's best to take longer breaks. Rest too short of a time and you can lose 2 reps on the next set.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws