over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest time between sets

Darb77

Registered
I was curious what some of you guys do as far as rest time between sets? I was watching some of those Yates videos and the guy he was training was only resting a minute but kept progressively using more weight each set.

I can rest one minute between sets but I just cant go higher in weights with more poundages if I do this or unless I start very very light in the first place.

Example. db shoulder press I will use the 80s for 10, rest two minutes 85s for 8, rest two minutes, 80s for 6. if i would try this scheme with say a minutes rest it would be impossible for me. I always thought the name of the game is use heavy weights and try and get stronger. Now I dont wanna cut back my weight poundages just to try and do things in a minutes rest but i can do it if need be.

I was just curious what you guys do as far as your rest periods go, I am sure it is going to vary greatly! thought it would be a cool topic.

Depends if the particular exercise I am doing is high intensity or high volume. If intensity, rest is 2 min on warmups, 5ish min on work sets. For volume I go by breaths, typically 5-10, so 10-30sec rest.

i would say don't "time" it per se. judge when to do your next set by how your body feels. i go again when my breathing returns to normal, and the time that takes has gotten less and less, since i've started doing it that way.

I dont have a hard time as far as breathing recovery goes. When I do a heavy set to to failure or near failure my muscles just seem to need way more than a minute to recover if I wanna go heavier on the next set. I typically pyramid up each set as I go.

I could lower the weight....take less rest time If I wanted too. I just normally try and go as heavy as I can in the 6-10 rep range. Was Just curious what some of the pros on here do. I have always been a longer rest period between sets guy...thinking of switching it up but kinda afraid to lower the weights ;)

depends on the type of work out I am doing. anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

i would say don't "time" it per se. judge when to do your next set by how your body feels. i go again when my breathing returns to normal, and the time that takes has gotten less and less, since i've started doing it that way.

Agreed. I've tried all the different rest time theories and have found works best when you just listen to your body on when you're ready for next set.

I was curious what some of you guys do as far as rest time between sets? I was watching some of those Yates videos and the guy he was training was only resting a minute but kept progressively using more weight each set.

I can rest one minute between sets but I just cant go higher in weights with more poundages if I do this or unless I start very very light in the first place.

Example. db shoulder press I will use the 80s for 10, rest two minutes 85s for 8, rest two minutes, 80s for 6. if i would try this scheme with say a minutes rest it would be impossible for me. I always thought the name of the game is use heavy weights and try and get stronger. Now I dont wanna cut back my weight poundages just to try and do things in a minutes rest but i can do it if need be.

I was just curious what you guys do as far as your rest periods go, I am sure it is going to vary greatly! thought it would be a cool topic.

Depends on my phase of training. In the off season when I'm moving heavy iron I rest up to 3 minutes if needed.

I have the same issue and dont like sitting around much. I noticed if I am able to supper set like shoulders and calves, I have plenty of rest between and I get out of the gym sooner.

I seem to use oxygen more effetient with supper sets and feel the individual body part has plenty of time to recover, so I am able to go heavy.

I also noticed even if I out of breath from a set with the other body part, I am still recovered for the next body part.

Like others are saying it is dependent on exercise. I am prbly right around 60-90secs for the majority of lifts.. Sometimes just the time that it takes to walk to the water fountain, come back grab the next weight and go.

Rest should be adjusted around the goal of the workout. I usually will use some form of Powerlifting/Bodybuilding hybrid. So strength & mass will usually be a separate focus in the same workout.

In that example the first exercises are really heavy compound such as bench, squat, Bent over rows, ect... Rest between these sets are long 3-4 minutes. That's because Strength is the main focus so I would want maximum recovery without waiting too long.

Later in the workout if using some isolation movement with higher reps I may use only a 60-90 seconds rest interval between all exercises/sets. Sometimes near the end of a session I will end using a circuit training style and use minimal rest just for the sake of added focus to cardio.

I train with partner and it seems when his set is done I am ready to go again.Maybe 1 to 2 mins.

30 seconds or less between sets. I like being in and out of the gym.

if what your doing is working for you then stick with it. every now and then its good to have a change in routine, rest time, etc. mix it up.

I rest for 2 minutes in between sets......any less than that and I think that you are not getting an adequate amount of rest between sets......let your breathing come back to normal and let your muscles rest.....then jump into your next set.....how in the hell can anyone do another set after 30 seconds rest.....if you want a cardio effect.....hit the stepmill after your weight resistance training......people make this so difficult.....keep it simple sweetheart!!!!

Around 2-5 minutes for me, depending on how heavy the lift is.

IMO if you cut your rest period too short your depriving yourself of extra reps or more weight you are able to add to your next lift.

In those blood and guts Yates videos he is only doing 1 working set, so you dont need a lot of rest with just 2 light weight warm up sets. I think he takes a couple of minutes between exercises.

Mixing it up can never hurt. Progressive training is the name of the game. More weight each time, supersets, or less resting time between sets is all progressive training. Also each body part may require different time periods of rest. Squats vs tricep push down!!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131