over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Retaining size with low weight/high reps

IMO size is 95% a result of diet. I don’t lift heavy anymore and most of my rep ranges are 12-20 and just aiming to get a good pump. My arms are bigger now at 240lbs than they were when I was 280lbs on a few grams of T and lifting to failure with powerlifting poundages.
Winner 🏆 🥇 ^^^^^

INTENSITY

Appreciate the input fellows. Going to implement a lot of this advice. With that said I was never one to lift below 6 reps with heavy weight by heavy I mean I'm maxing out a lot of the equipment. 26 plates on leg press for 10 reps. 12 plates on Squat machine. The whole stack on most triceps, back, and chest machines. Heaviest DB for DB press etc. I've been dropping the weight and slowing my tempo down to make the lighter weight heavier while also doing drop sets and rest pause. I'll add in some of yalls ideas to and should have a good routine going. I always try to reach failure on atleast 1 to 2 sets per exercise with this and a good diet it should work out.

Appreciate the input fellows. Going to implement a lot of this advice. With that said I was never one to lift below 6 reps with heavy weight by heavy I mean I'm maxing out a lot of the equipment. 26 plates on leg press for 10 reps. 12 plates on Squat machine. The whole stack on most triceps, back, and chest machines. Heaviest DB for DB press etc. I've been dropping the weight and slowing my tempo down to make the lighter weight heavier while also doing drop sets and rest pause. I'll add in some of yalls ideas to and should have a good routine going. I always try to reach failure on atleast 1 to 2 sets per exercise with this and a good diet it should work out.
It will, don't worry about it 😉

I think you should focus on one heavy movement for groups such as the back, legs or chest and the rest isolation on lighter weights except that I would place this complex basic movement like squats or heavy rowing etc. at the end or in the middle of the training
why at end or middle vs beginning?

I always do my compound movement first

Heavy is relative squat 405 x 30 that’s heavy and intense
Exactly. A 200 lb guy just starting out lifting isn't going to build much muscle if he squats 135 lbs for 30 rep sets.

pre exhaustion - to reduce weights and thus reduce the risk of injury in the basic exercise

if you do rowing 455-495 lbs, bench 405 and more on reps or hack squats 7+ plates per side you will understand

This wasn't to me but I want to add something as well. I recommended something similar and doing a few lower rep sets and I also stated in the middle or 3/4 into training. Many are told your compound movement is key so you do that first so you are fresh and at your strongest and can get the most out of it and that's very true. Although for me personally I prefer doing the more heavy duty (taxing) work later on so my body is 100% warmed up. I am never weaker but doing this and I feel I minimize the risk of injury doing it this way. The OP is also asking about this because he is older and wants to avoid injuries so even more reason to ensure the targeted muscle (and supporting muscles) are fully warmed up before doing your heaviest sets.

I have also done my compound first and if I do that I just make sure I warm up slowly for the same reasons but I personally prefer putting them in later on. An example before doing any crazy squat or less press sets I will usually train calves then hamstrings and I will still move up slowly during that big movement. If doing hack squats that could be doing 5 reps every warm up sets (1 plate up at a time) just so my body is ready for a big top set. I have a fucked up lower back due to being a meathead years ago but I feel have avoided other serious injuries being this way even though I train very hard and heavy most of the time.

Yes exactly
Pre exhausting will tax the body part less

Serge Nubret was known for doing 50-70 sets per body part, keeping reps between 10-12 with 30 seconds between sets. He has one of the most aesthetically built bodies and kept most of it through his seventies.

Been a very successful trainer with many pros. Semi retired now, still take a few exclusive clients. Also, a certified Sports Nutritionist. I still remember back to my very first class.
Aerobic training, and Anerobic training. Aerobic will condition you cardio vascularly (Heart, Lungs, Fat loss) but not build muscle. Anerobic will build muscle but not aerobic conditioning.
Aerobic=Anything over 20 reps
Anerobic=6-12 rep range.
Follow the science. This is not my opinion but rather right out of the University Text books. I am but a messenger (Told my clients this expression for 30 years)

I use time as a factor in building muscular size.

~30 seconds of time under tension gets the best results.

Addressing the title of this thread and barely skimming what has been written so far, I would say you are starting off with the wrong premise. Yes, you can lower the weight - but as with any time I hear someone say low weight, high rep - I cringe. Drop your weights 20% or so from your heavy sets and learn to do 20-30 rep sets. You can also pre exhaust the muscle as mentioned and roll into 10-15rep sets of a moderate weight.

I truly believe that time under tension AS WELL AS weight are what not only builds, but also preserves muscle. Even if you feel safer with the lowered weight, you should still feel it challenges you with the parameters you set and make yourself meet in a set. I would never lower the weight to something that felt more aerobic unless my life and health depended on it.

Winner 🏆 🥇 ^^^^^
Best compliment ever. I definitely had to learn the hard way unfortunately. Training with Bob C in my late 20’s got me there, taught me the mind muscle connecting. I’m almost 40 now and have the best muscle development ever and hardly go heavy other than on an occasional set just to add a different stress. The young guys standing next to me muscling up 45lb dumbbells don’t even notice that I’m curling 20’s with veins popping out everywhere lol

I said the same in the other thread. I now do far slower concentric and eccentric which has allowed me to drop weight down but still hammer the target muscle. 3-4 second tempo to failure

Rick Valente been doing 50-75 reps per set and still looks amazing even in his 60’s

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity