over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Retrospective question for Dante.

DC I think you should add expansion of trueprotein to the UK market to that list :D

The only possible situation I could get all your stuff done in a day is if I made a machine that made every day 50 hours long. I need to be less lazy :)

Both my business partner and I learned the hard way though of when to let off the accelerator work wise.....About 4-5 years ago I was working so hard with Trueprotein I ended up exhausted and got shingles....(really messed up my shoulder and tricep of my right arm nervewise to this day) and a year later my business partner ended up with shingles too from working way too hard thru stressfull situations.......we both took a second look at how we were doing things at that point and definitely changed things up....We both started delegating work to other people and stopped being control freaks with our hands on everything.

That sucks... I got it last year on my face and the right side of my head and scalp and eye still tingle sometimes.

Dante,

great read...I always read your posts like this coming away feeling inspired...in life and in business.

thanks man I love it..

trains 5-6 times per week ..some isnt DCing anymore..:D

I forgot congrats on your accomplishments Dante and always enjoyed your writings. Even with all the things you got going on you make it clear you know whats most important in life at the end of day, which is family regardless of any accomplishments that's all that matters.

You know I wrote up a gigantic and I mean gigantic thread a few months back on my thoughts on business and career for bodybuilders.....my opinions.
But I deleted it when I read thru it and it looked like I was a blowhard with the thread.....I then started from scratch and started writing it again and again I got frustrated with it.......Id love to post my thoughts on some of the directions I think bodybuilders should take but it really doesnt have to do with bodybuilding as much as me trying to convince bbers to "think outside the box".....

Anyway....to your question....the first things that come to mind are this
1) a todo list (longterm) and post it notes (short term that needs to get done tommorow....you write down all the things you need to get done tommorow on that post it and get them done...and you write all the todo things you need to do in a notebook and you try to get one of those done everyday
2) I dont know your financial situation but we found a great nanny for the right price that allows my wife and I to get alot of things accomplished...my wife works for her dad and has her own side business but still does things with the kids even when the nanny is here...and it allows me to get my stuff done during the week (she is here 8-5 M thru Friday)...that has opened up a huge amount of time to get things done for us
3) Delegate.....dont spend time on things that paying a little bit of cash would make your life so much easier....is the hour you are going to take to mow the lawn not worth the 10 bucks you pay the neighbors kid to do it when you could have listed 5 items on sale on ebay in that hour? I had the hardest time letting some other people do some of the things I had always done a few years back. I finally "let it go" and tried to trust them in doing them. Wow my life got a whole lot easier.....its tough to do but sometimes it needs to get done.
4) Im really good at looking at a list of things to do or tasks to do and figuring out the fastest way to get them done. Hypothetically I got these 4 things to do and Ill quickly map out a route in my head on how to get to the grocery store, to the office for a meeting, drop off some supplements to 3 local athletes, and home for an hour to write up some more stuff on the new website......if you can get good at "scheduling the quickest route from A to B" I think thats half the battle.

DC I've been lurking on the boards here now for quite a few years now and I know my views may not hold a lot of weight compared to some of the more established/experienced members but I'm sure many of us (well especially me at least) would absolutely love to hear our thoughts on this- even if it's just the cliffnotes.

1) Ive always had balance for the most part. In my early 20's I was packing all my food for the day, driving 45 minutes to college, going to one college from 8 to 330pm, training from 345pm to 515pm and then going to another college from 530 to 9pm at nite and then driving back home 45 minutes (and repeat and repeat and repeat)....then I would work an 8 hour shift on saturday and a 12 hour shift on sunday.

2) Ive always been driven. Ive worked some incredibly hard jobs (labor jobs) but always had time for bodybuilding around it. I came out to California thinking I was going to go to work right away in the early 90's from my college studies.....got a rude awakening....awful economy here in the early 90's and for many years I worked backbreaking labor jobs while also writing a bodybuilding magazine on the side....and trained and got all my meals in. (alot of rice and ground hamburger in those lean times)...

As for that scenario you presented....to be completely honest...I would not have had kids so young myself because I wanted to accomplish alot of goals personally. Unlike alot of bodybuilders I knew the order of ranking was
(taking into account that everyone has relationships with gf/wife)
1) Career
2) training dieting
3) competing

I always had my eye on the prize which was being an entrepeneur and businessman first, training and dieting was my hobby and competing is only allowed if there is some time for it and it doesnt screw up #1 at all. Unfortunately if i counted the number of bodybuilders that think they are going to come into some huge amount of cash and glory if they JUST COULD WIN bodybuilding contests...it would be a laughable gigantic number. Couldnt even tell you the number of guys i was interviewing (when I had that magazine) that were living in a studio apt living from day to day scrounging by (or borrowing or ripping off people or selling juice to survive) that were lauded in the mainstream magazines as "a bodybuilder that had his stuff together and was affluent"....

Even today I got my hands on so many things its ridiculous
-A custom manufacturing company-A retail company (Trueprotein)
with well over 20 employees in those 2 companies
-some grocery store products that are mainstream
-investments in the movie industry (we finance the launch and make back 150% i.e. 30k gets back 45k in 3 months etc)
-still looking at a 7/11 with four gas lines financials and might buy that
-tire shredding and disposal (still in process)
-real estate deals (have bids in on two prop's but because of the double dip im kind of waiting the whole process out and these were just steals)
-wife makes her own fitware and caps and resells and I get her the raw materials for those
-I can supply granite, marble, cabinetry, tile, computer parts, electronics, blow moulding, and plastics in large supply due to the connections Ive made acquiring large scale raw ingredients but I havent really pushed into that yet because of time limits
-got a new 6 figure website being built
-got another 25 thousand square foot manufacturing facility being built out

and I still train 5-6 times a week, and 45-60mins of cardio right after first thing in the morning and get all my meals in.....and every nite I go to the ocean, a park, or the mall or the pool or someplace with my young daughters.... I really think its what you want to personally accomplish in life and perseverance (I got knocked down hardcore a couple times....one time it took me about 3-4 years to pick myself back up....Ive definitely have been humbled).

Dante,

How does your custom manufacturing work?

When someone orders, 5g of X, 30g's per serving Y and 65g of B, then a flavouring option, is this made by hand? Or done using machines?

I've always always wondered how custom manufacturing works.

I'd just like to add that you're one of the most inspirational and humble people I have ever met on these board in 7-8 years. I routinely go through your post history, no matter what subject, to get your perspective, even if we disagree at times. ;)

1) Ive always had balance for the most part. In my early 20's I was packing all my food for the day, driving 45 minutes to college, going to one college from 8 to 330pm, training from 345pm to 515pm and then going to another college from 530 to 9pm at nite and then driving back home 45 minutes (and repeat and repeat and repeat)....then I would work an 8 hour shift on saturday and a 12 hour shift on sunday.

2) Ive always been driven. Ive worked some incredibly hard jobs (labor jobs) but always had time for bodybuilding around it. I came out to California thinking I was going to go to work right away in the early 90's from my college studies.....got a rude awakening....awful economy here in the early 90's and for many years I worked backbreaking labor jobs while also writing a bodybuilding magazine on the side....and trained and got all my meals in. (alot of rice and ground hamburger in those lean times)...

As for that scenario you presented....to be completely honest...I would not have had kids so young myself because I wanted to accomplish alot of goals personally. Unlike alot of bodybuilders I knew the order of ranking was
(taking into account that everyone has relationships with gf/wife)
1) Career
2) training dieting
3) competing

I always had my eye on the prize which was being an entrepeneur and businessman first, training and dieting was my hobby and competing is only allowed if there is some time for it and it doesnt screw up #1 at all. Unfortunately if i counted the number of bodybuilders that think they are going to come into some huge amount of cash and glory if they JUST COULD WIN bodybuilding contests...it would be a laughable gigantic number. Couldnt even tell you the number of guys i was interviewing (when I had that magazine) that were living in a studio apt living from day to day scrounging by (or borrowing or ripping off people or selling juice to survive) that were lauded in the mainstream magazines as "a bodybuilder that had his stuff together and was affluent"....

Even today I got my hands on so many things its ridiculous
-A custom manufacturing company
-A retail company (Trueprotein)
with well over 20 employees in those 2 companies
-some grocery store products that are mainstream
-investments in the movie industry (we finance the launch and make back 150% i.e. 30k gets back 45k in 3 months etc)
-still looking at a 7/11 with four gas lines financials and might buy that
-tire shredding and disposal (still in process)
-real estate deals (have bids in on two prop's but because of the double dip im kind of waiting the whole process out and these were just steals)
-wife makes her own fitware and caps and resells and I get her the raw materials for those
-I can supply granite, marble, cabinetry, tile, computer parts, electronics, blow moulding, and plastics in large supply due to the connections Ive made acquiring large scale raw ingredients but I havent really pushed into that yet because of time limits
-got a new 6 figure website being built
-got another 25 thousand square foot manufacturing facility being built out

and I still train 5-6 times a week, and 45-60mins of cardio right after first thing in the morning and get all my meals in.....and every nite I go to the ocean, a park, or the mall or the pool or someplace with my young daughters.... I really think its what you want to personally accomplish in life and perseverance (I got knocked down hardcore a couple times....one time it took me about 3-4 years to pick myself back up....Ive definitely have been humbled).

This makes me feel like a lazy POS and at the same time inspires me to do better.

Thanks for posting your thoughts Dante!

DC I think you should add expansion of trueprotein to the UK market to that list :D

The only possible situation I could get all your stuff done in a day is if I made a machine that made every day 50 hours long. I need to be less lazy :)

No you're talking...

DC I've been lurking on the boards here now for quite a few years now and I know my views may not hold a lot of weight compared to some of the more established/experienced members but I'm sure many of us (well especially me at least) would absolutely love to hear our thoughts on this- even if it's just the cliffnotes.

If you dont it being rambling and kind of all over the place....I got so frustrated with it all i kept was the bullet points....so ill start from there and and just wing it...

wow and i sometimes bitch about working 12 hour swing shift and too much overtime.... It pales in comparison to a day in the life of dante... fuck i feel like a lazy POS now after reading all that :(

your drive dante is amazing!

Dante,

How does your custom manufacturing work?

When someone orders, 5g of X, 30g's per serving Y and 65g of B, then a flavouring option, is this made by hand? Or done using machines?

I've always always wondered how custom manufacturing works.

I'd just like to add that you're one of the most inspirational and humble people I have ever met on these board in 7-8 years. I routinely go through your post history, no matter what subject, to get your perspective, even if we disagree at times. ;)

Primarch Manufacturing...is my custom manufacturing plant. Most people know about Trueprotein but Primarch is a bigger business. Primarch is stuff like two story mixers that can mix a whole pallet of a companies protein up in 2 minutes, into an assembly line with hoppers and augers...into a measured delivery system (2 and 5 pound jugs)...it then goes thru a labeler, capper, heat induction system (for when you fly over high altitudes like the Rocky mountains...otherwise the jugs will sometimes indent), sealers etc etc etc the whole works....just a huge assembly line of machinery (very expensive machinery...this last mixer we bought cost 70k if i remember right...and that doesnt even include the setup of it)....also in Primarch are capsulizers, dedusters, capsule counters etc etc etc and also a liquid manufacturing line (LBA's)......Primarch makes up a great deal of the large scale products for Trueprotein, things we sell alot of including protein blends, BCAA mixes, capsulized products etc etc......

Trueprotein is the retail side of things that everyone sees and in that building (close to Primarch) is a large clean room and we do the small order manufacturing, but with racks and racks of inventory (which Primarch has also)....Trueprotein's business model is changing though because of the new GMP rules and mountains of paperwork we must now maintain on the smallest of orders (cost of doing business on companies who order 33 thousand jugs from us but its the biggest pain in the ass in the world when we are doing 20 small orders for individuals customers that are alike).
I will say this.....it is very clear to me and my business partner why everyone goes into the retail side of things with supplement sales...low overhead, no machinery, low cost, basically you have custom manufacturers like Primarch make your product, ship it out to where you want it to go (distribution centers to disperse to GNC, vitamin shoppe etc)...and your only job is pretty much "marketing"....just an office with computers and guys in business suits pushing "products and marketing is where you spend your money.

Manufacturing? Paperwork up the ying yang, ridiculous amounts of money spent on the machinery involved (again my business partner and I did this virtually all out of pocket for cost of machinery).....and unlike retail where you get your money quick, there are always "terms" so you front alot of product and wait 30-90 days to get paid on it. Some of these companies I manufacture for....Doug and I extend alot of money up front to get paid in the end...and that can be stressfull.....Ive been taken by two companies in the last few years....one very recently-a very known company with famous pro bodybuilders on their roster as front men, famous pro bodybuilders that have columns in the largest bodybuilding magazine out there. But I am hearing they jacked one of those bodybuilders pay and looks like he is jacking us too.....sucks. {Taken means = I made their product, shipped them over to that company on good faith, and they took the product and are selling it but keeping 100% of the profit and not paying us}...kind of our fault because an employee of ours vouched for them and said they were good people and were in a bind (other manufacturer was out of product) and were people of their word. Lesson learned...All it does is make me incredibly careful with the next company who want us to make product for them and our terms get much more stringent because of these prior company's that screwed us over.

Why have the custom manufacturing plant when its such a pain in the ass and so expensive? It allows me to do something other companies cant. I can buy raw materials in huge volumes to get prices other companies cannot. It allows me to make the products ourselves which virtually 99% of other companies cannot do (and making it ourselves allows me to even have lower prices)....and then Trueprotein wise you put plain generic jugs and plain white labels on the products (again allows highest quality materials at absolute lowest cost)....so you guys kind of see how sometimes I have to bite my tongue when I see a small company that i know doesnt have tremendous buying power putting out a product for a very cheap price that beats everyone else in the industry including bigwigs like Optimum/Glanbia. I think...wait a second....I buy huge volumes of that material (unlike them), I make it myself which saves a GRIP of money (which they cannot do, they have to pay a custom manufacturer who gets paid, to make it), and I sell that with no fancy label, no fancy jug and no 13000 dollars a page advertising rate in multi magazines.....how the hell is that guy beating my price unless whats inside the jug is...............and thats the main thing that sucks about the supplement industry.

Last edited:

We looked into it extensively many years ago....there was a huge problem that we kept running into as we started to take the steps (and Ive had so much stuff go on since then that I cannot remember what the problem was....the only thing that is coming to my mind is London/Brokerage and we wanted to ship to everyone in Europe) and there was just this sticking point that we kept facing...so we put it to the wayside. I do know that we were contacted by certain individuals to build a partnership or business relationship when we mentioned back in the day that we were interested going into Europe and those individuals wanted to also get into the raw materials business over there ( I know it was at least one of them but I believe it was both of them ) but the talks just kind of faded out because we just all had so much going on....and i think both of them are doing fairly well now on their own anyway with their raw powder companies.
We had planned on Canada, and then the UK (shipping to all over Europe) and then an East Coast facility. We did Canada but repeatedly (and Im not talking once or twice but on a continual basis) Canada Post kept losing our packages or they would leave them in postal centers near someones house but not deliver them if it was too far out in the boonies.....Canadian's order in bulk....they are much different than US people....They order 50 pounds every time. So when the postal service kept losing those packages we not only had to resend a new package, we were out the original package (600 plus dollar loss and it was repeatedly happening)....It got so bad at one point during a winter season of lost packages that Doug and I shut down the Canadian facility and developed a deal with UPS on huge amounts of Canadian shipments where we pay all duty and customs charges over here and Canadians pay none.....and UPS got it done right and its worked well ever since. That experience kind of soured us on the UK one but we do have plans sometime in the future for a East Coast facility most likely.

Last edited:
We looked into it extensively many years ago....there was a huge problem that we kept running into as we started to take the steps (and Ive had so much stuff go on since then that I cannot remember what the problem was....the only thing that is coming to my mind is London/Brokerage and we wanted to ship to everyone in Europe) and there was just this sticking point that we kept facing...so we put it to the wayside. I do know that we were contacted by certain individuals to build a partnership or business relationship when we mentioned back in the day that we were interested going into Europe and those individuals wanted to also get into the raw materials business over there ( I know it was at least one of them but I believe it was both of them ) but the talks just kind of faded out because we just all had so much going on....and i think both of them are doing fairly well now on their own anyway with their raw powder companies.
We had planned on Canada, and then the UK (shipping to all over Europe) and then an East Coast facility. We did Canada but repeatedly (and Im not talking once or twice but on a continual basis) Canada Post kept losing our packages or they would leave them in postal centers near someones house but not deliver them if it was too far out in the boonies.....Canadian's order in bulk....they are much different than US people....They order 50 pounds every time. So when the postal service kept losing those packages we not only had to resend a new package, we were out the original package (600 plus dollar loss and it was repeatedly happening)....It got so bad at one point during a winter season of lost packages that Doug and I shut down the Canadian facility and developed a deal with UPS on huge amounts of Canadian shipments where we pay all duty and customs charges over here and Canadians pay none.....and UPS got it done right and its worked well ever since. That experience kind of soured us on the UK one but we do have plans sometime in the future for a East Coast facility most likely.

Thanks for answering. Shame really. My protein do me good though. Goodluck with all your new ventures.

PLUS you still have ample time to post on the bodybuilding forums that you make so much money from! :)

I like you and think that you've contributed a ton over the years, but I have to ask--from one egomaniac to another--did you REALLY have to compile that gigantic "list" of financial conquests? :D

someone a lil jealous!!! Where's the guy with the "I love haters" avatar itd b perfect time to post lol

If you dont it being rambling and kind of all over the place....I got so frustrated with it all i kept was the bullet points....so ill start from there and and just wing it...

Thanks for this Dante I'm really really looking forward to it

Well, i hope and pray true protein and prim arch grow from strength to strength.

I hope you get a chance to expand your op to the uk, not just so we can get quality protein but from the chance to have assets in other currencies than the dollar. If rumors are to be believed the dollar is in trouble. Over here we have myprotein which launched in 2004. The owner this year just sold it for 60 million pounds which is about 94 million dollars, while being kept on to head a division. They are on target to make 25 million pounds (39 million dollars:)) this year from 300000 registered customers.

Hut Group buys Myprotein in £60m deal | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

You have inspired me over the years and I will be happy to see you sell true protein uk for 100 million dollars in 7 yrs:)

Who knows true protein china with 500 million registered customers:) bodybuildings first billionaire:D

Dante,

Ever look into self service car washes or other turnkey-ish type operations? We get 80 inches of snow a year where I live and you have to wash your car every week or so to keep the salt off. I have often thought that another 10 years in the corporate game and I am buying a car wash and opening a good ice cream shop (our city has no good ice cream only soft serve). One is very hands off and one is seasonal. Plan is to retire from coprorate in mid 40s and then have a business that I run 8 months out of the year. Then when my wife rertires we sell them and move somewhere sunny.

Dante,

Ever look into self service car washes or other turnkey-ish type operations? We get 80 inches of snow a year where I live and you have to wash your car every week or so to keep the salt off. I have often thought that another 10 years in the corporate game and I am buying a car wash and opening a good ice cream shop (our city has no good ice cream only soft serve). One is very hands off and one is seasonal. Plan is to retire from coprorate in mid 40s and then have a business that I run 8 months out of the year. Then when my wife rertires we sell them and move somewhere sunny.

Yes I have and U-store-it storage facilities....just havent found the right fit

Primarch Manufacturing...is my custom manufacturing plant. Most people know about Trueprotein but Primarch is a bigger business. Primarch is stuff like two story mixers that can mix a whole pallet of a companies protein up in 2 minutes, into an assembly line with hoppers and augers...into a measured delivery system (2 and 5 pound jugs)...it then goes thru a labeler, capper, heat induction system (for when you fly over high altitudes like the Rocky mountains...otherwise the jugs will sometimes indent), sealers etc etc etc the whole works....just a huge assembly line of machinery (very expensive machinery...this last mixer we bought cost 70k if i remember right...and that doesnt even include the setup of it)....also in Primarch are capsulizers, dedusters, capsule counters etc etc etc and also a liquid manufacturing line (LBA's)......Primarch makes up a great deal of the large scale products for Trueprotein, things we sell alot of including protein blends, BCAA mixes, capsulized products etc etc......

Trueprotein is the retail side of things that everyone sees and in that building (close to Primarch) is a large clean room and we do the small order manufacturing, but with racks and racks of inventory (which Primarch has also)....Trueprotein's business model is changing though because of the new GMP rules and mountains of paperwork we must now maintain on the smallest of orders (cost of doing business on companies who order 33 thousand jugs from us but its the biggest pain in the ass in the world when we are doing 20 small orders for individuals customers that are alike).
I will say this.....it is very clear to me and my business partner why everyone goes into the retail side of things with supplement sales...low overhead, no machinery, low cost, basically you have custom manufacturers like Primarch make your product, ship it out to where you want it to go (distribution centers to disperse to GNC, vitamin shoppe etc)...and your only job is pretty much "marketing"....just an office with computers and guys in business suits pushing "products and marketing is where you spend your money.

Manufacturing? Paperwork up the ying yang, ridiculous amounts of money spent on the machinery involved (again my business partner and I did this virtually all out of pocket for cost of machinery).....and unlike retail where you get your money quick, there are always "terms" so you front alot of product and wait 30-90 days to get paid on it. Some of these companies I manufacture for....Doug and I extend alot of money up front to get paid in the end...and that can be stressfull.....Ive been taken by two companies in the last few years....one very recently-a very known company with famous pro bodybuilders on their roster as front men, famous pro bodybuilders that have columns in the largest bodybuilding magazine out there. But I am hearing they jacked one of those bodybuilders pay and looks like he is jacking us too.....sucks. {Taken means = I made their product, shipped them over to that company on good faith, and they took the product and are selling it but keeping 100% of the profit and not paying us}...kind of our fault because an employee of ours vouched for them and said they were good people and were in a bind (other manufacturer was out of product) and were people of their word. Lesson learned...All it does is make me incredibly careful with the next company who want us to make product for them and our terms get much more stringent because of these prior company's that screwed us over.

Why have the custom manufacturing plant when its such a pain in the ass and so expensive? It allows me to do something other companies cant. I can buy raw materials in huge volumes to get prices other companies cannot. It allows me to make the products ourselves which virtually 99% of other companies cannot do (and making it ourselves allows me to even have lower prices)....and then Trueprotein wise you put plain generic jugs and plain white labels on the products (again allows highest quality materials at absolute lowest cost)....so you guys kind of see how sometimes I have to bite my tongue when I see a small company that i know doesnt have tremendous buying power putting out a product for a very cheap price that beats everyone else in the industry including bigwigs like Optimum/Glanbia. I think...wait a second....I buy huge volumes of that material (unlike them), I make it myself which saves a GRIP of money (which they cannot do, they have to pay a custom manufacturer who gets paid, to make it), and I sell that with no fancy label, no fancy jug and no 13000 dollars a page advertising rate in multi magazines.....how the hell is that guy beating my price unless whats inside the jug is...............and thats the main thing that sucks about the supplement industry.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response mate. Forgot I asked this!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws