over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reverse Curls damage the wrist?

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
Please share your thoughts and experience on whether Reverse Curls damage the integrity of the wrist or not.

I personally prefer a hammer grip on the rope off of the low pulley. Plenty of forearm stimulation and no wrist discomfort. Stopped doing reverse curls since I started these!

No they don't damage the wrist. Are you curling more than your wrists can safely manage?

I suffered an injury once to my forearm doing them and never did them again. Somehow I managed to damage a branch of the radial nerve doing that movement. It puts a lot of unnatural stress on the forearm. I wouldn't do them.

I find wrist curls and reverse wrist curls awkward on the wrists with a barbell. With dumbbells they're not that much better and progression on those movements is slow and "who cares?" like with dumbbell kickbacks.

For forearms, all of my exercises are hammer curl variations with the ROM stopped when my arm is bent at 90 degrees to maintain tension on them and keep the biceps out as much as possible.

I personally prefer a hammer grip on the rope off of the low pulley. Plenty of forearm stimulation and no wrist discomfort. Stopped doing reverse curls since I started these!
This movement was a staple for myself when training bi's. Haven't done them in a while and I can't recall the level of forearm activation I felt, so I will be adding these back into my regiment and pay attention to my forearm muscles.

I don't think the weight is an issue. Just want to be cautious and here from others on their opinion and experience.

The thought of reverse curls damaging wrists never crossed my mind in 20+ years of training. The only thing I can think of is youre using too heavy a weight.

I do them as a finishing exercise for one higher rep set after biceps. I use a straight bar and a thumbless grip.

It's all a matter of form and of course weight (the 2 often being related). I would guess approx 80% of the people I see doing them are using bad form or too much weight (usually both). As posted keep the wrists straight and stable. As posted the ez bar also generally feels better for most compared to a standard barbell. Although I also like to use cables and do them unilaterally. Now if the movement simply doesn't feel right after following all of those guildlines just don't use it as there are many other movements that hit the forearms very well.

Doing the reverse curl never caused pain in my wrists while doing it and I used an easy curl bar. I damaged something in my forearm that put pressure or flat out damaged part of the radial nerve. The day after doing the curls in tried to bench and couldn't grip the bar. My lifting was screwed bad for about 3 months whe it healed. I saw a orthopedic doctor, think that's what he was, and he diagnosed the damage to the radial nerve.

Never did those curls again and never had the trouble again. To this day, about 30 years later, if I push on that area of my wrist it hurts. That electric feeling like when you hit your funny bone.

There are so many exercises you can do to work those muscles. I'd never use reverse curls.

it should not be too bad if you use shoulder width grip. if you go too narrow or wide it would put unnatural stress on the wrist

Please share your thoughts and experience on whether Reverse Curls damage the integrity of the wrist or not.

I just realized you meant reverse curls and I misread that as reverse wrist curls based on my first response. I do use reverse barbell curls as an exercise and agree with those that said to use an EZ bar as that is what I do as well. I still stop the ROM at 90 degrees as going all the way to the top brings in my front delts too much. I'll go all the way to the top with cables if they're unilateral like this.

It's all a matter of form and of course weight (the 2 often being related). I would guess approx 80% of the people I see doing them are using bad form or too much weight (usually both). As posted keep the wrists straight and stable. As posted the ez bar also generally feels better for most compared to a standard barbell. Although I also like to use cables and do them unilaterally. Now if the movement simply doesn't feel right after following all of those guildlines just don't use it as there are many other movements that hit the forearms very well.

I agree. If it doesn't feel right then don't do it. Too many alternatives to achieve the similar goals.

Doing the reverse curl never caused pain in my wrists while doing it and I used an easy curl bar. I damaged something in my forearm that put pressure or flat out damaged part of the radial nerve. The day after doing the curls in tried to bench and couldn't grip the bar. My lifting was screwed bad for about 3 months whe it healed. I saw a orthopedic doctor, think that's what he was, and he diagnosed the damage to the radial nerve.

Never did those curls again and never had the trouble again. To this day, about 30 years later, if I push on that area of my wrist it hurts. That electric feeling like when you hit your funny bone.

There are so many exercises you can do to work those muscles. I'd never use reverse curls.

Same here bro, although it luckily didn't hurt for 3 whole months for me :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131