over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rhabdomyolysis & Severe muscle loss

Musclecyborg

Newbies
Hello Bros, my problem is, I got out of the hospital 2 weeks ago from a severe case of rhabdomyolysis, I got it from not training for a long period of time, and training my chest too hard when coming back.

My CK levels were over 150,000 when I was admitted, I've been released after being fully hydrated again. Although I gained a ton of weight coming back, like 30 lbs of water weight that I've never had before, the week after the rhabdomyolysis episode occurring.

And I feel normal now except 1 thing, I feel like I've lost all my pec muscles, I CAN'T even FLEX my chest or do more than 5 push-ups, I'm scared to death that the muscle loss is permanent from cell death.

Has anyone had experience with this? I hoping I'm very wrong and it's just SEVERE atrophy. But I'm so scared I've permanently lost my chest muscle.

I never injured or tore my chest. Just the rhabdomyolysis.

It was so painful it was like a really good pump x15, to the point it hurt so bad and was so pumped I couldn't move my arms.

Please tell me this muscle loss is temporary atrophy guys. I'm shitting bricks and feeling really depressed about this.

Has anyone gone through this before??
If so, please help

Last edited:
You'll be fine because muscle memory

i was diagnosed with rhabdo

but my cpk levels never got above 5k... so idk

i do remember my shoulders stinging like a bitch though

im back and better than ever

it is not permanent, it just takes time for your muscles to get back to normal..
but training alone is rarely a cause for rhabdo. Where you also dehydrated?
@little_slice:
5k cpk is no rhabdo. thats my usual value after a hard leg/back workout.

it is not permanent, it just takes time for your muscles to get back to normal..
but training alone is rarely a cause for rhabdo. Where you also dehydrated?
@little_slice:
5k cpk is no rhabdo. thats my usual value after a hard leg/back workout.

Yes I was definitely dehydrated, it was definitely foolish of me to go to the gym on less than a half gallon of water a day.

Yes I was definitely dehydrated, it was definitely foolish of me to go to the gym on less than a half gallon of water a day.

give it another 2 weeks and you should be fine again.
But start slowely and be hydrated as soon as you go to the gym.
Dehydration and training is often a bad combination which leads to shit.
also, keep an eye on electrolytes, esp sodium. Dont be the guy who thinks low sodium is good for athletes..

What I'm worried about is, muscle memory is because of the myocytes (muscle cell) shrinking but the myocytes never shrink in number, in quantity. The muscle comes back because of the nuclei growth (at least that's the theory)

but I'm worried the cell is dead all together, meaning the nuclei is also dead because it's part of the cell, and we know that your only born with a set number of muscle cells. So I'm tripping balls

Has anyone ever done some real hard stretching and lost muscle from the stretch? I done this before and remember after some hard pec stretching my strength dramatically dropped and it took a while to come back. I did some stretching too so idk if that has something to do with it. Idk why this happens, it's life unheard of, but if I stretch too hard I lose a ton of strength real fast and it takes months to come back. The same thing if I do extremely high reps, like 50 rep sets, ill lose most of my strength and Size really fast. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

give it another 2 weeks and you should be fine again.
But start slowely and be hydrated as soon as you go to the gym.
Dehydration and training is often a bad combination which leads to shit.
also, keep an eye on electrolytes, esp sodium. Dont be the guy who thinks low sodium is good for athletes..

Would you happen to know why I gained so much weight afterwards? I lost about 30 lbs the day it happened, I was so shocked my weight was down by 30 when I checked into the hospital, but then I regained that 30, plus an additional 20, within 2 days of being discharged. I was in the hospital for 4 days with a cK over 150,000, they let me go home even though it was very high still because I was functioning and feeling normal. But my CK was still over 90k when discharged

Would you happen to know why I gained so much weight afterwards? I lost about 30 lbs the day it happened, I was so shocked my weight was down by 30 when I checked into the hospital, but then I regained that 30, plus an additional 20, within 2 days of being discharged. I was in the hospital for 4 days with a cK over 150,000, they let me go home even though it was very high still because I was functioning and feeling normal. But my CK was still over 90k when discharged

Well, logically speaking the only way it would be physiologically possible to gain and lose that much weight in a day or so would be if almost all of it were water. I don't understand what would cause that though.

Did they put you on a big dose of corticosteroids like prednisone or something like it? Cortisone shots?

Medications can cause Rhab

Psychotropic medications including antidepressants, ant-psychotics, can cause Rhab.

Has anyone ever done some real hard stretching and lost muscle from the stretch? I done this before and remember after some hard pec stretching my strength dramatically dropped and it took a while to come back. I did some stretching too so idk if that has something to do with it. Idk why this happens, it's life unheard of, but if I stretch too hard I lose a ton of strength real fast and it takes months to come back. The same thing if I do extremely high reps, like 50 rep sets, ill lose most of my strength and Size really fast. Anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

No it hasn't happened to me and I doubt its happened to you lol..now strength loss may be a different story as static stretching may have that effect on some people. As for losing muscle and strength after high reps maybe you are confusing terms. You aren't losing muscle because you're strength went down after 50 reps, your muscles are fatigued its quite normal. I "lose" strength too after going heavy on my first exercise but that certainly doesn't mean you're losing muscle.

I am not saying this in a critical way, but it seems like most of the OP's problems might come from overdoing things in an extreme fashion.

There are certain ranges in terms of set volume or stretch duration that should be researched and followed as a starting point. Even with help, the human body has limitations.

Well, logically speaking the only way it would be physiologically possible to gain and lose that much weight in a day or so would be if almost all of it were water. I don't understand what would cause that though.

Did they put you on a big dose of corticosteroids like prednisone or something like it? Cortisone shots?
I'm pretty sure it is 100% water, I got like over 20 bags of sodium chloride filled IV bags while I was in there and given some blood thinner shots to prevent clots. And the 30 lb weight loss happened in a day which was extremely shocking news to me as I was not aware I was that dehydrated, the gaining it back + 20 more happened over around 5 days

Last edited:
I am not saying this in a critical way, but it seems like most of the OP's problems might come from overdoing things in an extreme fashion.

There are certain ranges in terms of set volume or stretch duration that should be researched and followed as a starting point. Even with help, the human body has limitations.
I agree, my training and stretching was over done, I foolishly started DC training after a very long lay off without building myself back up slowly.

No it hasn't happened to me and I doubt its happened to you lol..now strength loss may be a different story as static stretching may have that effect on some people. As for losing muscle and strength after high reps maybe you are confusing terms. You aren't losing muscle because you're strength went down after 50 reps, your muscles are fatigued its quite normal. I "lose" strength too after going heavy on my first exercise but that certainly doesn't mean you're losing muscle.

Yeah I totally understand that, but I mean it litterally takes several months for my strength to return to normal, it's not like after doing a hard set and being fatigued. I'll notice Size and strength decreased and it takes a very very long time, atleast 4 weeks or up to 12 weeks to return to normal after something like multiple 50 rep sets or extreme stretching. I feel like as if the high reps and stretching are "eating" up the muscle or something lol

How was the training that caused this problem? How long were you training? You pushed too much to failure?

How was the training that caused this problem? How long were you training? You pushed too much to failure?

problem is often not concentric failure.
most muscle damages occurs during the eccentric phase. DC training involves many techniques that cause a huge amount of damage, e.g. excessive stretching. Another dangerous thing is forced negative reps.
this + dehydration (mineral imbalances) + long break before the session may lead to rhabdo

problem is often not concentric failure.
most muscle damages occurs during the eccentric phase. DC training involves many techniques that cause a huge amount of damage, e.g. excessive stretching. Another dangerous thing is forced negative reps.
this + dehydration (mineral imbalances) + long break before the session may lead to rhabdo

Yup sounds like you hit the nail on the head, thats what happened and now I learned the hard way from it.

Yup sounds like you hit the nail on the head, thats what happened and now I learned the hard way from it.

youll be fine in no time, dont worry bro.
not training for 4 weeks wont lead to much loss of muscle, keep your diet in check and everything will be OK..
but start slowly next time..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity