over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rinsing ground meat.

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How many of you guys Rinse your ground beef or turkey after Browning.??

Just wondering how much if any fat is removed when you drain , rinse with hot water and drain again.??

Is it possible/probable to reduce 93% ground be to 95%-96% , if so that would be a significant way to cut calories if someone were eating ground turkey/beef as their primary meat source.

Just wondering how much if any fat is removed when you drain , rinse with hot water and drain again.??

Is it possible/probable to reduce 93% ground be to 95%-96% , if so that would be a significant way to cut calories if someone were eating ground turkey/beef as their primary meat source.
I buy 96% ground beef,so I don't have to rinse. They do make skinny beef which is 98% I believe and is extremely pricey.

When I would buy ground turkey, I would buy 98%. So I never really had to rinse any meat.

I always rinse it! Not really sure how much it takes off but it does help get rid of some fat for sure. Even when i buy 96% i still rinse.

I tried weighing before and after the rinse but with the water there isnt a way to know for sure how much it took off.

I guess if one had a scale that measured in single grams, you could hold a bucket or container to catch the water that you rinse with, allow for the fat to separate, and then measure only the saturated fat.

Oil and water do not mix.

I use 96% for ground beef for the most part. If I rinsed I would wonder how much/many other nutrients I was loosing in the process.

I don't rinse it but I drain the fat from it when it's almost done cooking, I feel like changing the temperature like that would not be a good idea for multiple reasons.

I always buy lean ground beef and organic when I can find, for some reason the organic always has more fat even if it's the same supposed fat content. Again I just drain it when it's almost done cooking.

I don't see the point in rinsing it with water before cooking. You're just making more of a mess to clean. I do a casual fat drain after cooking and I usually end up with like almost 2 cups of liquefied fat from about 3lbs of 80% ground beef.

There is a study that showed rinsing beef with 150* water significantly reduced fat content compared to Just blotting dry. I’ll try to find it

I don't see the point in rinsing it with water before cooking. You're just making more of a mess to clean. I do a casual fat drain after cooking and I usually end up with like almost 2 cups of liquefied fat from about 3lbs of 80% ground beef.
I wouldn't suggest rinsing it before it's cooked , that would be pretty pointless.
I was referring to rinsing it with hot water after you drain the fat that's.cooked out.

Over time it will clog your drains. I don’t want fat down my drains it builds up and slows them down. I would use paper towels to get the grease out.

I cooked and rinse my 93/7 beef. If I don’t I can taste/feel the fat. Not very scientific lol. When I rinse it is seems pretty close to the 96/4 beef.

I like to just grill all of my ground meat on our gas grill. A lot of fat runs down into the fire, seems to reduce fat content.

I don't just see why you don't just buy the leaner varities in the first place. Its more expense yes, but your also going to have more protein and way less fat by weight, so essential it's balances out in the end plus you don't have to waste time washing and draining meats.

I don't just see why you don't just buy the leaner varities in the first place. Its more expense yes, but your also going to have more protein and way less fat by weight, so essential it's balances out in the end plus you don't have to waste time washing and draining meats.

I completely agree... i buy 96% and still rinse it for some reason. Lack of a gall bladder always makes me not want much fat. More of a habit i guess.

Over time it will clog your drains. I don’t want fat down my drains it builds up and slows them down. I would use paper towels to get the grease out.
Since most of the time I eat keto, when cleaning up after cooking I end up putting a little fat down my drains, I always pour some dawn dishwashing liquid down the drain after for this reason, it breaks up grease very well, and I never have a problem with my drains.

i used to do this.
more so the idea is you can buy cheap beef that is not lean, cook it wash it then you have lean beef.

now i go to a real butcher, where i choose the cut of beef i want, different cuts. different flavors, different uses and have them clean it to my liking before its ground.

no going back from there!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity