over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

RIP Big Al Fortney

damn man; how is it that all these bodybuilders from the 70-80s still alive and kicking; while the competitors from the late 90s-2000s are all dropping like flies.

damn man; how is it that all these bodybuilders from the 70-80s still alive and kicking; while the competitors from the late 90s-2000s are all dropping like flies.

More drugs and heavier bodies would be my guess.

There’s tons of reasons for this..

Guys in the 70’s-80’s used to actually COME OFF at least a few months a year, there’s tons of evidence of this.. You’d see guys like Arnold and Lou and Zane etc look like normal fitness guys in the off-season and then about 5-6 months before competition they would start blasting.. They also used to taper their doses back then, not just jump into grams and grams of gear... They also used to do tons of cardio and training and not weigh as much... Arnold was 240lbs at 6’2... Being 240lbs is what you’d have to be now a days to compete in the 212lbs class at 5’5... Forget about the Open.. Those guys are 280lbs-300lbs+ @ 5’8-5’9 in the offseason. That’s a lot of stress on the heart and organs.. And the guys now a days are on grams of AAS, tons of GH and Insulin year round.. I mean, there’s low level pros and National guys who’s “off season” is 1g of Test and GH and Slin at minimum.. Couple all of that with tons of food (and not all of it healthy) and you’ve got a recipe for disaster... The body/organs just can’t take it for very long..

More drugs and heavier bodies would be my guess.

There’s tons of reasons for this..

Guys in the 70’s-80’s used to actually COME OFF at least a few months a year, there’s tons of evidence of this.. You’d see guys like Arnold and Lou and Zane etc look like normal fitness guys in the off-season and then about 5-6 months before competition they would start blasting.. They also used to taper their doses back then, not just jump into grams and grams of gear... They also used to do tons of cardio and training and not weigh as much... Arnold was 240lbs at 6’2... Being 240lbs is what you’d have to be now a days to compete in the 212lbs class at 5’5... Forget about the Open.. Those guys are 280lbs-300lbs+ @ 5’8-5’9 in the offseason. That’s a lot of stress on the heart and organs.. And the guys now a days are on grams of AAS, tons of GH and Insulin year round.. I mean, there’s low level pros and National guys who’s “off season” is 1g of Test and GH and Slin at minimum.. Couple all of that with tons of food (and not all of it healthy) and you’ve got a recipe for disaster... The body/organs just can’t take it for very long..

I think all these reasons have merits and are probably accurate, however there is a bigger reason no one is talking about why we are seeing so many health issues in middle-aged and older bodybuilders:

Now there is social media, when someone has a heart attack, or kidney failure, it used to be personal information that people didn't want to share. Especially in amateur bodybuilders that aren't in the spotlight, you could never know if they had a heart attack at 40 or 45, or anything else. Most of our "heros" for the 70s and 80s may well have health issues no one knows about.

Not true of today's bodybuilders if they participate in social media...

great points above. i also believe when it comes down to it bodyweight. Al was over 300, Porter was pushing 270. correlation.

if some normal schmuck had heart failure a few years ago then turned around and gained 50lbs eating shitty and then died we'd call him an idiot.

I don't think it would be going out on a limb by saying if AL and Porter downsized like Palumbo they'd both still be here.

bottom line, couldn't walk away. sad

great points above. i also believe when it comes down to it bodyweight. Al was over 300, Porter was pushing 270. correlation.

if some normal schmuck had heart failure a few years ago then turned around and gained 50lbs eating shitty and then died we'd call him an idiot.

I don't think it would be going out on a limb by saying if AL and Porter downsized like Palumbo they'd both still be here.

bottom line, couldn't walk away. sad

If you don't walk away, you need a PLAN and you need to stick to it. I ask myself, how much am I willing to do at 50? how much am I willing to do at 60? How much am I willing to weigh and how much weight am I willing to lift those ages? I'm 46, I've been scaling back hardcore in all areas as I get closer to 50.

And if you do have a serious issue come up? It's over, time to be a skinny runner or swimmer, time to redirect all that energy to something that won't kill you.

Is bodybuilding really about ego? It isn't for me, it's about how I FEEL, I want to walk that line in the grey area between improved quality of life from how I feel and risk from pushing too hard.

I knew Al and worked out with him a few times in DE and MD, back in the late 1990's he was the leanest power lifter I ever saw - he was benching 575 for reps in the gym at 240. We kept in touch over the years now and then, he transitioned to a monster bodybuilder.He also was very kind and generous person.

Very sad to hear.

This lifestyle is not a healthy one post 40 -45.

RIP

yea, very sad.. way too young...

i ran into him and talked for a bit many years ago when i was down in Tijuana. I think he was originally from Deleware, but moved down to live in Mexico (TJ/Rosarito/or somewhere around there I think)..

Super nice guy...

If you don't walk away, you need a PLAN and you need to stick to it. I ask myself, how much am I willing to do at 50? how much am I willing to do at 60? How much am I willing to weigh and how much weight am I willing to lift those ages? I'm 46, I've been scaling back hardcore in all areas as I get closer to 50.

And if you do have a serious issue come up? It's over, time to be a skinny runner or swimmer, time to redirect all that energy to something that won't kill you.

Is bodybuilding really about ego? It isn't for me, it's about how I FEEL, I want to walk that line in the grey area between improved quality of life from how I feel and risk from pushing too hard.

again great post. I'll be 45 next i'm trying to figure the exact same.

Heart attack.

Another IFBB pro died from Vegas also same day.

Gianluca Catapano..... 47 years old

From what I am reading Gianluca Catapano, died in Moscati' hospital in Avellino, Italy. Apparently it's being reported to have stemmed from a previous illness he was fighting long term. If this is true, than this is likely due to the previous health issues he has had regarding his digestive track. Here's what he told a reporter years ago about his health scares:

In 2002, doctors told me that I had “ulcerative colitis,” a genetic illness, which had affected my entire colon. Because the risk of cancer was so great, the doctors recommended that my colon be removed.

Although the primary surgery went smoothly, I had internal bleeding post-operatively. The bleeding was so extensive that an emergency surgery was required followed by three days in intensive care. The blood loss was so great that the doctors weren’t sure I would survive.

But, I did survive! When I was released from the hospital, life began to get back to normal and I got back to training.

However, the nightmare continued….

In 2003, I perforated an intestine with the spike of a seed from a watermelon. This resulted in a severe case of septicemia. Once again, my life was in danger. I was in the hospital for 53 days and had another 2 major life-saving operations!

The doctors and medical staff were not sure if I would pull through, but I knew that I would. Although this was the biggest challenge that I had ever faced on or off-stage, I had survived once and I was sure I could do it again. No matter how touch the battle is, I have and will always face it head on.

I have cheated death 4 times….so, that is why the title of my first DVD is:

The Italian Phoenix - Raised from the Ashes!!!

Too much....Food, Weight, Drugs, Ancilliary Drugs(slin, GH, Diuretics, etc.) and not letting go is what's killing people

Bodybuilders in the golden era did moderate amounts of the first 3, little to none of the last

THIS

Too much....Food, Weight, Drugs, Ancilliary Drugs(slin, GH, Diuretics, etc.) and not letting go is what's killing people

Bodybuilders in the golden era did moderate amounts of the first 3, little to none of the last

spot on post
-F

Great post. I think so too.

I actually had this discussion with a friend just last night. I am thinking it's like many have said: bodybuilders are much bigger nowadays. Carrying around 300+ lbs @ 8-10% bodyfat and a ripped 285+ is not normal. Imagine the stress on the cardiovascular system? The heart has to grow in order to pump enough blood and it's under heavy fire that whole time. Combine that with the amount of drugs. Heck, a "cruise" dose for most pro's or national level competitors is more gear than many of these dudes would use at their highest dose. What the competitors of Arnie's day would blast is probably closer to todays "beginner" cycles... it's just gotten way out of hand.

There is a point where too much is just too much, and I feel we have found it.

I think it pretty ignorant to assume everyone in the 70's and 80's era was taking tiny amounts. some of you guys are so naïve.

In the 70's most bodybuilders got smaller in the off season and began their regimen for a show or shows. At some point in the 80's bodybuilders began getting bigger in the off season. It's only increased since then.

I think it pretty ignorant to assume everyone in the 70's and 80's era was taking tiny amounts. some of you guys are so naïve.

Why don’t you give some constructive detail on that?

I mean, the only guy from that era that I can think of who was definitely pushing it was Steve Michalik, he admittedly said he took everything under the sun pretty much for as long as he could... And what happened? Heart attack, stroke, kidney transplant etc... Remind you of the guys from today?

Who else from back then has a medical background like that? I’m sure there’s some, but damn near all those guys lived or are still living to old age....

Why are the bodybuilders from now dropping like flies? Shit, 5 of them have died in the last 30 days... That’s more than 1 per week.. And only 1 of them in their 50’s? C’mon bro... Pretty naive to say otherwise...

I’m not saying there weren’t guys back then who pushed it, but give another reason why today bodybuilders rarely make it into their late 40’s/early 50’s without significant health issues and guys from back then lived fairly long lives and a lot still living today?

You are correct, some did use higher doses, but only a small %.

Why don’t you give some constructive detail on that?

I mean, the only guy from that era that I can think of who was definitely pushing it was Steve Michalik, he admittedly said he took everything under the sun pretty much for as long as he could... And what happened? Heart attack, stroke, kidney transplant etc... Remind you of the guys from today?

Who else from back then has a medical background like that? I’m sure there’s some, but damn near all those guys lived or are still living to old age....

Why are the bodybuilders from now dropping like flies? Shit, 5 of them have died in the last 30 days... That’s more than 1 per week.. And only 1 of them in their 50’s? C’mon bro... Pretty naive to say otherwise...

I’m not saying there weren’t guys back then who pushed it, but give another reason why today bodybuilders rarely make it into their late 40’s/early 50’s without significant health issues and guys from back then lived fairly long lives and a lot still living today?

Abusers will always try to make a excuse for them self, same as the smokers do.

Exactly.

I see guys arguing over this stuff and it's ridiculous. People still wondering why guys are dying so young. It's couldn't be more obvious and you have listed the reasons. There are 1001 variables as well just like with anything in life.

I still see guys posting how they will lower the drugs and some how that will prevent them dying. They look at Matt Porter and think he must have been lying because he died young and his cycles were modest towards the end. No one uses common sense.

Fact is being big increases the potential of early death. Taking loads of different drugs does as well. Combine the two and you increase the risk significantly. These days guys take loads of hgh and insulin as well so they just add to things. It's usually a combination of many things and if guys have a genetic disorder they are literally walking timebombs.

The main thing is guys don't like to downsize and they remain huge in their 40's and 50's so they are basically guaranteed to die young. Again common sense and even if they downsize their past usage could come back to haunt them. However downsizing is obviously why many bb's do just fine and live relatively healthy lives into their 50's 60's and 70's etc.

Of course some guys in the 70's and 80's took loads of drugs but they were also smaller. I imagine most took nowhere what some do today though and that is a massive factor. Most huge guys today are on a tonne of drugs or have been at some point. Most of the bigger names from earlier on downsized as well. They also had more breaks and didn't remain big for decades straight and many would downsize in the offseason.

Loads of normal sized sports people die young. I hear about footballers etc dying in their 40's all the time. So what do you think taking tonnes of drugs and being 100 pounds heavier for decades is going to do. I don't get the preachers because it should be fucking obvious why loads of bodybuilders are dying young. If guys see this and continue to abuse and bulk up in the 40's and 50's then they shouldn't be surprised if they have severe health issues sooner rather than later. Everyone has the freedom to do what they want. If I see some of my mates doing the same I will have a quiet word but I wouldn't try to make them feel bad about living the way they want to live regardless if it's bad for their health.

If Arnold bulked up to 270 in his 40's and stayed there he most certainly would be dead by now (probably many years ago). Moreover he could be on low doses and just eating tonnes of food and he would still be dead. Seems blatantly obviously but some guys don't seem to get it.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear