YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rotator cuff injury and need for surgery?

Reload

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
In March I had surgery to repair a large tear in my right shoulder supraspinatus tendon. Lots of pain and downtime post surgery. Great result, full function. Near 100% recovery.

This past Saturday I really f'd up my left shoulder while doing flat dumbbell presses. Felt a pop & crack and now can't raise my arm forward at all. Horrible pain at night, very difficult finding a comfortable position to sleep in. Almost a mirror image of the problems I suffered with the right side. Went to the ER & had the obligatory shoulder x-ray which shows nothing and of course getting an MRI (which would show conclusive soft tissue injury) was denied. I'll call tomorrow to make an appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon.

So my question...has anyone here suffered a significant rotator cuff injury but chose not to do surgery, rehabed it themselves and returned to full function? I'm almost certain this is a full thickness tear.

I've already got a heafty cycle of BPC-157 and TB-500 on order.

In March I had surgery to repair a large tear in my right shoulder supraspinatus tendon. Lots of pain and downtime post surgery. Great result, full function. Near 100% recovery.

This past Saturday I really f'd up my left shoulder while doing flat dumbbell presses. Felt a pop & crack and now can't raise my arm forward at all. Horrible pain at night, very difficult finding a comfortable position to sleep in. Almost a mirror image of the problems I suffered with the right side. Went to the ER & had the obligatory shoulder x-ray which shows nothing and of course getting an MRI (which would show conclusive soft tissue injury) was denied. I'll call tomorrow to make an appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon.

So my question...has anyone here suffered a significant rotator cuff injury but chose not to do surgery, rehabed it themselves and returned to full function? I'm almost certain this is a full thickness tear.

I have a full thickness tear of my right supraspinatus, confirmed by MR. Happened 2013/2014 when warming up incline benching 225lbs, on the 12-13th rep.

After seeing a in network ortho surgeon, and speaking to a surgeon at the VA, I elected to NOT have it repaired. I was 29/30 years old at the time. You have two docs, one motivated by money another not. Both gave me overall the same information. I'm young, very muscular, and neither could guarantee they could pull the tendon back into place. They wouldn't know if they could reattach it at the insertion until they were inside me. If they couldn't, they'd anchor it down as far as they could pull it. If you abduct (raise) your arm once, you could rip the anchor off the bone. Both said I should wait till later on in life when it starts to effect my ADL.

As for it effecting my ADL's now, not really. I've had to modify a few things in the gym. Flat barbell work seems a bit iffy, but i was never a fan of that anyway. I don't work on my rotator cuff as much as I should.

What's bpc and tb going to do? From personal use, I find both useless.

Your injury sounds very similar. I just turned 50 BTW.
I currently cant raise my left arm forward (as if I were holding a handgun) at all. If I swing it up using momentum it hurts like a MF'er and feels like small chunks of bone or tendon popping/cracking inside the joint and then just falls to my side.

I do have bicep flexion, can bring my left hand to my face and across to my other shoulder (can eat, brush my teeth etc.) I have good rear extension. Can raise my arm away from my side about 30 degrees but I'd be totally fk'd if I had to draw a weapon and hold it out in front of me with my left arm.

How did you rehab your tear?

I used both BPC and TB after my last rotator cuff surgery and was almost 100% 4 months post.

Last edited:
Went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached. As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work daily for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 weeks later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. But most people recover faster then the Dr's say as they always give you the worst case scenario for a time line. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it every work out for awhile till I felt confident. Wish I had done it sooner. Waiting as long as I did most likely caused much more wear and tear on both shoulders.

You should follow the doctor's professional advice

I have I did Incline pec dec flys as my only exercise for two months, and even then had to watch it.

If it hurts stop it ASAP. Do rotator cuff exercises, shoulder horn is worth buying. Do physical therapy stretches. I do all of these weekly usually and use my shoulder horn before shoulders, back, and chest.

The band behind the back and font helps as well. I learned from Dc a decade or so ago but I find that a cable works better for me

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4wLbp06J8"]Broomstick Stretch (Fast Progressions) - YouTube[/ame]

I have I did Incline pec dec flys as my only exercise for two months, and even then had to watch it.

If it hurts stop it ASAP. Do rotator cuff exercises, shoulder horn is worth buying. Do physical therapy stretches. I do all of these weekly usually and use my shoulder horn before shoulders, back, and chest.

The band behind the back and font helps as well. I learned from Dc a decade or so ago but I find that a cable works better for me

31zVNaNlruL.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4wLbp06J8"]Broomstick Stretch (Fast Progressions) - YouTube[/ame]

i dont see how u can have a full tear and not get operated on.
i had a partial supra tear and my biceps tore right off my shoulder in '09.
no surgery for either. still have an unicep ever since, no problem at all.
the rotator cuff, he suggested pt, so i did pt for awhile, didnt help at all.
christ, the pain. couldnt lift my arm up, no going thru drive thrus cuzza that even.
so i joined a snap fitness, started the lightest weight ever, gradually got better.
full tear? how can that go unfixed?

I would prefer to avoid surgery if possible but I'm pretty sure I need it...again. Just not looking forward to the pain/PT and lost work hours.

i dont see how u can have a full tear and not get operated on.
i had a partial supra tear and my biceps tore right off my shoulder in '09.
no surgery for either. still have an unicep ever since, no problem at all.
the rotator cuff, he suggested pt, so i did pt for awhile, didnt help at all.
christ, the pain. couldnt lift my arm up, no going thru drive thrus cuzza that even.
so i joined a snap fitness, started the lightest weight ever, gradually got better.

What is the action of the supraspinatus? 10-15 degrees of shoulder abduction. If you have a full thickness tear, the deltoid picks up the slack. I know a guy, fellow doc, who has a fully torn sartorius w/ myositis ossificans, and still squats 700+ lbs at meets.

For now, rest and ice. If you can, get some class 4 laser therapy on it. 2-3 weeks after my tear, i started working my delts again. I worked around the injury, finding exercises that didn't cause pain. It took 2-3 months to return to pain free function. Every time I went to the gym I worked my rotator cuff with light resistance bands. Starting with my elbow at my side, then progressing to scaption.

I have a tear in my labrum and manage it with (mostly) external rotation exercises. The pain is bad some days but I can still lift everything I want. The key probably is to avoid any and all barbell exercises. The same as poster number 2, I was also never a big fan of barbells to begin with so no problem.

31zVNaNlruL.jpg

Broomstick Stretch (Fast Progressions) - YouTube

The DC broomstick stretch, how could I have forgotten about that one! Works a charm. I'm going to start doing them again.

I tore my left cuff with the surgery, after a long recovery, I am 100%. My ortho told me it was common to tear the other one too. 2 years ago, I thought I tore it, it actually hurt worse than the one I had surgery on. I went to the Ortho, had a MRI, it turns out I have a impingement with bicep tendonitis.
I still worked out after I tore the left, should presses, inclines etc before my surgery, weight was ok. Now with the impingement, my workouts suffer worse and I have to work around things

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws