over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rotator Cuff Surgery Recovery Timeframe Poll

How many months after rotator cuff surgery was it before lifting upper body again

• 0-1 Month

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 2-3 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5 Months

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 6-7 Months

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 8-9 Months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 10-11 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12+ Months

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

wordomr

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
For those that have had rotator cuff / shoulder arthroscopy surgery, how long was it before you were back at the gym lifting normal weight?

As a health care provider u r looking at 6-8 months. Shoulders are very delicate structures. It will take some time. Be patient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you go through rehab before ever thinking of going back to the gym! Had labrum on right and rotator on left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I read your post wrong and chose 4-5 months, I went back to very lite lifting at about the 5 month mark, and I mean doing presses with only bb, if you mean 100% back that was at least 7-8 months for me.

I had just a small tear and it was 4-5 months of doing nothing, then started with light weights. I was 100% at about 11 months. Its now 4 years later and I am good as new but it was a long time for this surgery

Define "lifting", are we talking about pressing with 10 lb dumbbells, or full on training?

It was maybe two months before I could even use that arm to wash my hair. A few more months before I started pressing with baby weights, then more before I finally graduated to somewhat regular weights.

Probably close to year before I finally was able to step up and hit it hard, with Regular, pre-op training.

My tear was worse than he thought once getting inside.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached. As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 week s later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it ever work out for awhile till I felt confident. wish I had done it sooner.

I have had both shoulders done and it was different for each. One procedure was much more involved than the first one. It took me 6 months on the first and a good 8 on the second before I could really lift. That was after physical therapy 3x a week as well.

About 20 years ago I went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached. As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 week s later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it ever work out for awhile till I felt confident. wish I had done it sooner.

When I said I had wished I had done it sooner I was talking about having the surgery sooner.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear