over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ruptured both Quad tendons

flexit

Newbies
Hey guys! 4 weeks ago I was hack squatting and on my last set I heard a snap like a rubber and breaking in my left leg and then all the weight shifted to my right leg and as I was getting buried, I heard my right quad snap also. I had surgery to reattach both of them on 9/9. What a bitch this has been. Anybody ever ruptured their quad tendon? Curious how the rehab went.

Thanks.

Holy shit - I've never even heard of that happening! And to snap both of them at the same time! That must have been quite the scene. How much weight were you hacking?

It was right around 400 and yeah, it was brutal. Once one goes, all the weight gets put on the other one and seeing as I wasn't free bar squatting, I could drop the bar behind me.

Wow sorry to hear bro.. Wishing you a speedy recovery

3 weeks ago I fell off a ladder at work and I ruptored mine...as well as tore my quad....just had surgery last tues..I would be curious on this as well?

Been years ago but i saw a guy squatting 903 lbs and you could hear his body snap!
Plus the fact they had un-attentive teenage boys that looked like drug addicts spotting it.
I still remember helping several get the bar off him,his head was between his legs in a sit down position.
Detached both quads ,broke his neck back area,never seen him again.
I feel for you bro i was walking a squat out and i snapped my ankle and they had to put screws in it ,i can remember seeing my ankle on top of my foot and being stupid trying to walk the pain off........Thing is even with surgery things are never the same.

Sorry to hear that jp. Most quad ruptured actually happen from falling. God speed healing bro. We're in the same boat.

GS- That is crazy bro! I can't imagine. That poor guy. I have to come to the realization that I'm 46 years old and have been doing this a lot of years and my body just can't take the heavy weights like it used to. It's just hard to back off the weights when I've been doing it so long, but this was an eye opener. I'll never forget the sound they made when they snapped.

I've ruptured both mine.

Do the rehab exactly as they say, don't try to be Superman and push any harder than required, which can be hard due to the BBing mentality. Take your time, do not rush. I did and partially pulled one repaired tendon off the top of my kneecap.

You can recover to real close to 100%...

Did you know that supposedly GH helps tendon recovery? :)

Zack Khan had the same injury and he videoblogged about his recovery:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuuzW5oNL9k]Zack Khan's Road to Recovery - Blog Entry #1 - YouTube[/ame]

maybe some inspiration!

Thanks a lot tendon snapper. Ooo that name. Lol. How long before I'm walking? I'm still in braces after 4 weeks and using a walker. I bent them to 60° yesterday at rehab.

Thx for the video wostok!

Sorry to hear that jp. Most quad ruptured actually happen from falling. God speed healing bro. We're in the same boat.

GS- That is crazy bro! I can't imagine. That poor guy. I have to come to the realization that I'm 46 years old and have been doing this a lot of years and my body just can't take the heavy weights like it used to. It's just hard to back off the weights when I've been doing it so long, but this was an eye opener. I'll never forget the sound they made when they snapped.

Just realized i was 45 myself (lol)

I ruptured both of mine little over 9 years ago. After surgery, I spent 6 weeks locked in braces at full extension while the tendon re-anchored to the patella and healed. I was not allowed to bend my knees. Then I started my PT to regain strength and flexibility. It was slow going but don't rush it. I'm fine now. I did loose a bit in my total knee flexibility and I have nice long scars over both knees with no feeling in the skin there.

I should mention that my knees had been hurting for a long time from heavy squats. I was on vacation at the beach, was sprinting along the water's edge, hit some very deep and very soft sand, like quicksand. When I went down I heard the pop. I lay there while the paramedics picked my ass up and carried me to the ambulance and then to the hospital. The surgeon said I probably had many micro tears in the tendons and the hard fall was the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Didn't Branch Warren have this injury a couple years ago?

I ruptured one quad tendon about 5 years ago, then the other one two years later. Both times from falls down stairs.

Here is a huge yet very helpful/interestingdiscussion forum about this injury (on a skiing site).:

**broken link removed**

Both legs at once must be much tougher than one. At least I could hobble around.

The good news is that you will be 100% normal sooner than you think . Just be patient.

The worst part is not being able to drive for few weeks.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about this.

Yeah GS, my surgeon said that it happens mostly after 40. Go figure. My ortho is more aggressive and started me on rehab after 3 weeks instead of 6. I can bend to about 55-60°, but damn, it feels like it's gonna snap and pulls big time.

Thanks so much for the link gymdude. I appreciate it. You guys are awesome!

I would personally rehab without squats. Starting with just the bar. More low bar style so less knee travel

Exact thing happened to me free squatting in Feb 2010, snapped one then the other within a second. Luckily I was in the cage and safety rack may have saved my life, or at least a broken neck or back.
I had surgery the next day and 2 full leg casts for almost 8 weeks. Go to rehab if you can, don't let a bro coach you through it. Within a year I was squatting 135 again, mostly leg presses now, but have done as many as 4 sets of 20 with 315 about a month ago.
I lost about 6" in mass from the time they snapped until the casts came off, but quickly got back 2/3 of it after rehab. 1.5 years after the injury I won the super heavy class in my state. I wasn't 100% but I was the best in that lineup at the time. So, it's really not the end of the world, but you do need to throttle back on the heavy stuff and pay attention to the pain. Like thebrick said about the pain leading up to the injury, my doc said it was a warning sign I should have heeded. Good side of it, I no longer have pain in my knees 😁, but nice big scars to remind me I'm not bullet proof.

oh shit. I shouldn't of opened this thread..leg day tomorrow. :(

Like Sir-Loin said, let a PT person experienced in this injury get you back. This is a very rare injury and not to be taken lightly or you can re-rupture if not healed 110%. After I was released from PT my doctor told me I could do whatever I wanted in the gym as long as my feet were on a flat surface. He told me no leg extensions. I don't squat heavy anymore either.

Sorry that this happened to you and I wish you a speedy and full recovery. Being 43 now I'm very careful to pay close attention to feedback from my body. When something doesn't feel right I'm quick to make adjustments. I do want to reach my genetic potential but I want to do so injury free even if it takes a while longer. So far I've been able to avoid injuries. Keeping a positive attitude is crucial which I'm sure you already know. You'll be back in no time

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws