YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Safe leg exercises with a bulging lower disc?

ericraven2003

Registered
The bulging disc happened taking a plate off the bar while twisting and bending.
Still hurts but getting better. Been using inversion table. Docs done manipulations.
Been doing light upper body but no lower. What would be safe to do on a leg day?

Id go with whatever doesn't cause pain and discomfort.

If you can find a way to do belt squats that'd be the way to go.

I would stay away from any sort of squatting or deadlift type exercises, and be careful of pressure build up with leg press. I would start by trying light isolation type exercises and higher reps. This way you could at Meade maintain while you heal.

Seated hack squats don't incorporate lower back and are all quads. I use them after squats when I can find them.

Id go with whatever doesn't cause pain and discomfort.

x2

Any leg movement has the potential to cause issues. As long as you keep your form great and weight sensible it should be ok. I would recommend machines were you can sit/stand and have your back on a pad. So things like horizontal leg press, leg extensions. If your gym has a squat machine then great but you would have to be extra careful on that. The key is ensuring your back stays firmly against the pad and you don't ever move forward and in the process round your lower back (even when seated).

I picked up the ironmind super squat belt and do various movements without aggregating my back. You can attach the straps to a smith machine and get pretty heavy with it (bar goes between legs), loading pin squats are a pain to set up but they're awesome, and you can attach the front loop of the belt to a t-bar and get a front squat type groove with it.

Assuming you ever feel like you're up to something like squats again, you can pre-exhaust your legs with something like leg extensions and then superset immediately with squats which will be less weight (due to the prework) and therefore safer before fully committing to squatting. I've had some low back issues myself, and for ME, front squats are safer and I think it's a combination of less weight and a more upright torso.

i got buldging discs have had surgery...cant do heavy leg press or squats anymore.

lunges, leg extension is about it

I would stay away from heavy leg movements. I've been dealing with lower back problems for several years now. It just got progressively worse. The only thing I can do are mostly bw, and very light weighted exercises. Surprisingly I've able to maintain some decent amount of leg mass although it used to be my strongest bodypart.

Switch over to high volume, superset type workouts. Try a few of these exercises below. Supersetted, 15-20reps

Goblet squats with kettleball or hold a db to your chest.
Medicine ball hamstring curls
Trx station leaning back bw squats, push off from heel.
Trx station lunges.
Trx station assisted pistol squats

Leg extensions, alternate each leg, back to back, mixing in straight reps, slow reps, 1-2sec hold at contraction, and adjusting the weight as needed.

I have 2 collapsed discs and 3 more herniated ones with a number of of ailments stenosis spondylolisthesis etc. . And machine squats are my go to these days. I can maintain a slight arch in the lumbar area and not any real issues with moderate weights. Leg press can cause some as I am more likely to flatten out my lower back doing these.

Have you thought about unilateral movements like Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats or step ups. Each can be taxing and back friendly until your discs get better.

Brignole squat ( cable squats) resistance coming from the front/pulleys at bottom of stack) and not compressing your spine from top to bottom which could irritate the bulging disc nucleus pulposus out any more.

u tube doug brignole cable squat or brignole squat.

Doug explains it all.

All the best to you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If you can find a way to do belt squats that'd be the way to go.

I will be trying these tomorrow light, as well as a few of the other suggestions. Looks good. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Have you thought about unilateral movements like Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats or step ups. Each can be taxing and back friendly until your discs get better.

This is a great suggestion even once weight can be added. A lot of athletic trainers are using unilateral leg work. You can still hammer your legs, but you have roughly half the weight on your back compared to bilateral squats.

I think dumbbell lunges would probably be about the least stressful to your lumbar region. Make sure to work your core. If you do cardio consider the elliptical.

Suggested this to friend who can't squat due to lower back pain. We have no access to belt squat machine. He really liked this so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXQuSqxgolq/

He did break a regular dip belt immediately though. The Ironmind belt mentioned by Kevinhy is a bit expensive but looks good, says it can handle 3500lbs :D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131