over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Salmonella?

Conan21

Kilo Klub Member
Is salmonella only found in the yolk/shell of a raw egg or could it be in the white too.

I was trying to research it. seems like they were saying only the yolk. but some articles contradicted one another

Last edited:
SHELL

IF ITS CRACKED SLIGHTLY, ESPECIALLY. RUN IT UNDER HOT WATER FOR 30 SECONDS AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE, UNLESS YOU COOK THEM, THEN NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

since its only in the shell how could you get the bacteria then? no one eats the shells.

Last edited:
what ive been told

is to crack it in a bowl and put in in the microwave for like 30s tops, and if anything cooks you either scoop it out or blend it up.

Well when you crack the egg some of the white can drip over the outside of the shell... bingo

so your sayin its on the outer part of the shell?

sorry to ask such trivial questions. but i often throw eggs into alot of shakes and am just tryin' to play it safe as possible. Prolly not good idea to this period.

Guys, keep your eggs cold and they should stay bacteria free. Salmonella isn't really an issue in the States but the bacteria can get into the egg white or yolk. We have good handling policies and don't really have to worry about it. Strains can grow on raw chicken but unless you leave it sitting at room temp for a while then there's not enough of the bacteria to hurt you. Does that make sense?
HC

good info

thanks. puts my mind to rest

:)

I think i read there is a .0003% chance an egg may be infected. A friend read also read a report which said that if you ate 10 raw eggs daily you would eat an infected one every 4 years or so. Even if you do get a tainted egg its not that bad for most healthy adults, usually only afects children and old people.

If the eggs are pasteurized, I wouldn't worry too much. I know several people who down raw eggs and haven't been sick. To be on the safe side nuke 'em in a bowl for bout 20-30 secs. I blend about 6 eggs (yolk and all) throw in a cup of orange juice and one banana and gulp it down. I have to do the orange juice and banana thing or I'll puke my guts out. I can't stand the taste of raw eggs.

In Australia and New Zealand...eggs are not kept in the fridge. This is in the home as well as the supermarket. The eggs are on a normal un cooled shelf at room temp until you buy them.

For those who like to eat raw eggs perhaps you may want to consider what the Centre for Disease Control has to say on the subject: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
From the CDC website
**broken link removed**

What is the risk?

In affected parts of the United States, we estimate that one in 50 average consumers could be exposed to a contaminated egg each year. If that egg is thoroughly cooked, the Salmonella organisms will be destroyed and will not make the person sick. Many dishes made in restaurants or commercial or institutional kitchens, however, are made from pooled eggs. If 500 eggs are pooled, one batch in 20 will be contaminated and everyone who eats eggs from that batch is at risk. A healthy person's risk for infection by Salmonella enteritidis is low, even in the northeastern United States, if individually prepared eggs are properly cooked, or foods are made from pasteurized eggs.

What you can do to reduce risk

Eggs, like meat, poultry, milk, and other foods, are safe when handled properly. Shell eggs are safest when stored in the refrigerator, individually and thoroughly cooked, and promptly consumed. The larger the number of Salmonella present in the egg, the more likely it is to cause illness. Keeping eggs adequately refrigerated prevents any Salmonella present in the eggs from growing to higher numbers, so eggs should be held refrigerated until they are needed. Cooking reduces the number of bacteria present in an egg; however, an egg with a runny yolk still poses a greater risk than a completely cooked egg. Undercooked egg whites and yolks have been associated with outbreaks of Salmonella enteritidis infections. Both should be consumed promptly and not be held in the temperature range of 40 to 140 for more than 2 hours.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear