over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

sample college / budget bulking diet

bieberhole69

Kilo Klub Member
As most of you are probably aware, bulking can be quite expensive. There's probably quite a few of us that need to bulk but need it to be as cheap as possible too. That video with Evan Centopani got me inspired, but I certainly don't want that much of my fats coming from chicken thighs. I'm currently in college, and need to grow but need it to be CHEAP.

I think I've got it down pretty good, and as such am posting up a sample diet for others to see and get ideas from. This is how I am currently doing it. Total cost for this diet is ~$8 / day with everything at full price. If you can get your meats on sale, and buy veggies on sale / in season the price will likely go down.

I'm not factoring my pre-intra-post workout nutrition into this, but it's just karboload, whey isolate, a hydrowhey/hydrocasein blend, and some aminos. It probably runs me $3 per workout day.

This is ~3100 calories, 296p, 247c, 103g fat. My pre-intra-post workout nutrition adds 100g protein and 150g carbs (1000 cals) to this. Your needs may vary.

M1:

1.5c oats
5 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/2scoop protein blend (pea isolate, whey concentrate, micellar casein)

M2:

I like to make this into a "fried rice" dish sans the oil (use soy sauce as replacement for seasoning)

1.25c brown rice
8oz lean meat (4g fat per serving, I'm using pork sirloin chops currently)
1 whole egg
cheap veggies (could be carrots, cabbage, spinach, kale--just whatever is VERY cheap)

M3: (usually 1hr post-workout for me)

8oz chicken breast
1.5c jasmine rice

M4:

8oz lean meat or chicken breast or 5oz + 3 eggs (if using the 3rd option, I don't include any oils in my meal)
3/4c brown rice
1tbsp evoo or ev coconut oil
Maybe some more veggies that were low-cost / in season

M5: (pre-bed)

1scoop protein blend (pea isolate, whey concentrate, micellar casein)
2tbsp natural PB or 1 serving almonds (it's about the same macros, I usually use PB because it's cheaper)
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites

So there you have it--bulking on a budget, and an easy template for which to add in or take out what you need based on your calorie / macro requirements. I really hope this benefits some of you.

Notes: rice is much cheaper than potatoes, but sometimes I'll sub them in if I get bored with it. We'd all love more beef, but beef = $$$ so this is what I work with. On the weekends I'll also switch things up and go higher fats / lower carbs since I'm not training, and also to break the monotony of this diet.

looks pretty similar to my bulk diet but I am eating more carbs. I am also in college and I know the feeling of not having a lot of money, at least during the regular school year and not summers. Keep thinking about how good it will be once you finish school and your investment pays off so you can get bigger.

I spend way to much on food when I'm dieting, just to make it taste decent.

Ah i remember these days, when i had to train on a limited budget. I used to just eat shit loads of rice and keep my protein fairly low.

Typically i would have 4oz chicken per meal (if i was lucky) and about 12oz of rice....and i got nice and fat :)

Back when I was an young offensive lineman in college and needed to gain weight in a hurry I had to get really creative as well. I could not have grown on that little amount of calories that your diet has, but I also wasn't as concerned about bodyfat with the amount of running and SAQ training we did.

My diet at the time from my training journal;

Per day I was eating-
2 lbs ground beef (85/15)
4 Sweet Potatoes
1 gallon skim milk
1 gallon chocolate milk
8 Slim fasts (we got a generic brand for free in the training room, 220 cals/per
Weight gain shake (at the time I used muscle juice and made the full 1200 cal serving)

This took me from 263 to 286 between spring ball and fall ball. ENough bodyweight for a starting job:)

Obviously this wouldn't be the ideal bodybuilding diet, but I spent less than 10 dollars a day and was getting in over 6k cals.

There was a video posted here not to long ago about bulking on $50/week budget. Honestly it was very similar to yours. I think you are doing a great.job of using what you got. Maybe consider swaping soy sauce for Braggs liquid aminos.

There was a video posted here not to long ago about bulking on $50/week budget. Honestly it was very similar to yours. I think you are doing a great.job of using what you got. Maybe consider swaping soy sauce for Braggs liquid aminos.

Yeah. He referenced that video in like the first few sentences of his post.

Eggs were such a staple in college! I would hard boil eggs and make a P/F meal out of 3 whole eggs and some protein powder.

As you have, chicken is most likely going to be your cheapest lean protein source. Cartons of egg whites from Costco are also really cheap so you don't have to waste yolks. I would throw some liquid eggs whites in a bowl, mix in some oats and microwave it for a meal.

Some people eat pork tenderloin and I've seen it on sale really cheap. Personally, I don't eat pork right now, but I wouldn't rule it out as a lean protein source.

Some other staples I had:
Almonds
Olive oil
Cans of tuna
Rice
Potatoes
Beef (I wouldn't buy the leanest cuts but i would count it as both a protein and fat)
Fish oil caps
Protein Powders (if you go gram by gram, they are actually pretty cost effective)
Chicken breast
Peanut Butter
Rice Cakes

Really simple diet and just rotated foods as needed

I spend way to much on food when I'm dieting, just to make it taste decent.

I'm accepting donations if you'd like a reason to spend less on food :)

Back when I was an young offensive lineman in college and needed to gain weight in a hurry I had to get really creative as well. I could not have grown on that little amount of calories that your diet has, but I also wasn't as concerned about bodyfat with the amount of running and SAQ training we did.

My diet at the time from my training journal;

Per day I was eating-
2 lbs ground beef (85/15)
4 Sweet Potatoes
1 gallon skim milk
1 gallon chocolate milk
8 Slim fasts (we got a generic brand for free in the training room, 220 cals/per
Weight gain shake (at the time I used muscle juice and made the full 1200 cal serving)

This took me from 263 to 286 between spring ball and fall ball. ENough bodyweight for a starting job:)

Obviously this wouldn't be the ideal bodybuilding diet, but I spent less than 10 dollars a day and was getting in over 6k cals.

I'm only 200 right now, and calories will increase as my weight increases of course, but I'm not in a sport and I certainly don't have an extra 60lbs of mass on me (although I'm trying to get there).

I would do milk, but it makes me so bloated and so gassy that I have to run out the classroom every 20mins to drop some fart bombs. No bueno.

Calories will probably end up near 5500 by December to break me into the 230s for the first time ever (or so I hope). I might just give in and toss milk into the equation then since 1gal can be had at kroger for $2.99. Can't beat that.

My current university diet consists of Tuna, noodles, rice, chicken drumsticks or thighs, eggs, oats, generic wheat biscuits, milk, shakes, pasta, cheese, bread, ice cream, cookies, cakes, Chinese food.

everything is grass fed of course.

I would do milk, but it makes me so bloated and so gassy that I have to run out the classroom every 20mins to drop some fart bombs. No bueno.

Calories will probably end up near 5500 by December to break me into the 230s for the first time ever (or so I hope). I might just give in and toss milk into the equation then since 1gal can be had at kroger for $2.99. Can't beat that.

BH, what about just adding in some healthy fats from almonds or any other kind of nuts you like? I forget the exact cost, but 3 pounds of almonds at costco is something like $12... Very calorie dense and nutrient rich and maybe you wont get so bloated. Or at least you can use less milk if you go that route so you aren't shitting your brains out.

Just tossing the idea out there to make your life easier

Eggs were such a staple in college! I would hard boil eggs and make a P/F meal out of 3 whole eggs and some protein powder.

As you have, chicken is most likely going to be your cheapest lean protein source. Cartons of egg whites from Costco are also really cheap so you don't have to waste yolks. I would throw some liquid eggs whites in a bowl, mix in some oats and microwave it for a meal.

Some people eat pork tenderloin and I've seen it on sale really cheap. Personally, I don't eat pork right now, but I wouldn't rule it out as a lean protein source.

Some other staples I had:
Almonds
Olive oil
Cans of tuna
Rice
Potatoes
Beef (I wouldn't buy the leanest cuts but i would count it as both a protein and fat)
Fish oil caps
Protein Powders (if you go gram by gram, they are actually pretty cost effective)
Chicken breast
Peanut Butter
Rice Cakes

Really simple diet and just rotated foods as needed

My DIET almost. Add eggs, oats, and fruit and some vegs. I get all this from Coscto, Fruit is cheap there. Costco has grass fed beef, a little more money, but worth it.

Threads like this are great for getting ideas for food to incorporate into one's diet. But what I'd really like to see is a list of reasonably healthy and nutritious foods/meals for days when you have no access to a kitchen, fridge, microwave, etc. For example, if you're stuck in meetings all day. And ideally they'd be normal enough foods so you're not labeled as the weirdo who brought along a cooler and keeps eating cold chicken, potatoes, and veggies.

My DIET almost. Add eggs, oats, and fruit and some vegs. I get all this from Coscto, Fruit is cheap there. Costco has grass fed beef, a little more money, but worth it.

Yes, mine as well. All I change year round is the quantities and when I'm not dieting I like to go out on weekends and try new restaurants and such and enjoy some decadent meals with the lady.

Now, however, I don't eat cans of tuna. I'd much rather have chicken or a couple of hard boiled eggs. I also have avocados, coconut oil, almond butter, organic grass fed butter (kerrygold butter is awesome to cook veggies with), ezekiel bread and grass fed beef (as you noted) and eat more fruits and veggies now. I did eat fruits and veggies in school as well since they were really cheap and I would stock up and stuff zipper bags with veggies.

I feel better overall having a diet high in healthy fats and it seems to help stay lean year round. I could up my carbs to add weight faster, but considering I plan on staying a bantam the next time I get on stage I am using a more slow and steady approach to adding muscle.

Threads like this are great for getting ideas for food to incorporate into one's diet. But what I'd really like to see is a list of reasonably healthy and nutritious foods/meals for days when you have no access to a kitchen, fridge, microwave, etc. For example, if you're stuck in meetings all day. And ideally they'd be normal enough foods so you're not labeled as the weirdo who brought along a cooler and keeps eating cold chicken, potatoes, and veggies.

I wouldn't worry about what other people think, if it's more convenient to take a cooler then do that. Once you start doing it, you might find others start doing the same.

I am that guy in meetings, not every day, but it happens. Almonds and protein shakes. If I am going between buildings and can't get back to my desk to grab protein powder I portion out shakes in zipper bags and portion out my almonds and just have them with me and there is always a water fountain somewhere to fill up a shaker bottle.

When you are dealing with high level executives, it shows a real lack of respect to open a tupperware and while they are presenting and it is very difficult to articulate a strong argument or be taken seriously when eating a regular meal. In which case shakes and almonds work just fine. They are not disruptive and everyone else has a cup of water or water bottle so it fits right in. Almonds are easy to pop in your mouth and you won't be smacking food.

If you need carbs, you by instant oats and grind them up ever finer and just toss them in a shake and True Nutrition has a variety of carb powders you can use.

Yeah, shakes all day may not be ideal or as nutrient rich as whole foods, which most of us would prefer, but when you are on the run and in a pinch, sometimes you just need to do what you need to do. If I am starving I would rather have a few shakes than go hungry. And it isn't like this is every day.

Also, don't get so set in NEED TO EAT NOW mentality. Tom mentioned this in another thread. You can add some healthy fats to meals and that will keep you full longer and you won't necessarily need to eat at exactly 2 hours and 23 minutes after your last bite. You can wait a little while longer, it isn't like you are going to become instantly catabolic lol

I wouldn't worry about what other people think, if it's more convenient to take a cooler then do that. Once you start doing it, you might find others start doing the same.

If we're talking about a day-to-day basis and your normal coworkers, I agree. But I'm talking about a situation more along the lines of what mentalflex mentioned:

When you are dealing with high level executives, it shows a real lack of respect to open a tupperware and while they are presenting and it is very difficult to articulate a strong argument or be taken seriously when eating a regular meal.

As you said, when trying to make a good impression on a group of people, toting around a cooler full of prepared meals is not the best idea. Plus, if you're traveling for work or something than you probably have a limited ability to cook and prepare meals in the first place.

And thanks for the ideas, mentalflex. Building off your suggestions and adding some of my own:

- protein shakes (possibly with ground up oats)
- almonds / nuts
- beef jerky / turkey jerky
- tuna sandwiches
- chicken breast sandwiches
- homemade protein bars (I'm not a fan of most store bought ones)

I also think you could make lifter-friendly versions of Rice Krispies treats or Chex muddy buddies using those cereals, protein powder, and a couple other ingredients. But I have yet to find a recipe or experiment on my own.

Personally i would think bulking would always be cheaper than cutting/contest dieting. I mean the most expensive nutrient is protein, carbs and fats are by far the cheapest. When bulking you want to up the carb/fat intake, not so much protein. Rice and potatoes cost little to nothing, and fats mainly from coconut oil, almonds, and avocados.

I'm on a budget right now cutting and doing fine getting almost all my produce from the Mexican market where chicken breasts are $1.99/lb, skirt/flank steaks $3.99/lb, avocados 3 for $1, etc. Sure it's not "organic" meats but when on a budget don't really have that luxury in life. Eggs also cost little nothing as well for a meal or two a day. Not into shakes that much so only use those post-workout or just a scoop here or there if one of my meals is a bit low on the protein content. Keeping protein at 1.5g/lb of bodyweight for cutting or bulking. Sometimes protein maybe at the 1.8g/lb of bodyweight when cutting but never cut out fats either way. Never got into the 2g+/lb of bodyweight ideology when bulking, just made me feel sick and couldn't finish my food. Have to listen to your body sometimes. Then again i'm not 250+lbs either so...

If we're talking about a day-to-day basis and your normal coworkers, I agree. But I'm talking about a situation more along the lines of what mentalflex mentioned:

As you said, when trying to make a good impression on a group of people, toting around a cooler full of prepared meals is not the best idea. Plus, if you're traveling for work or something than you probably have a limited ability to cook and prepare meals in the first place.

And thanks for the ideas, mentalflex. Building off your suggestions and adding some of my own:

- protein shakes (possibly with ground up oats)
- almonds / nuts
- beef jerky / turkey jerky
- tuna sandwiches
- chicken breast sandwiches
- homemade protein bars (I'm not a fan of most store bought ones)

I also think you could make lifter-friendly versions of Rice Krispies treats or Chex muddy buddies using those cereals, protein powder, and a couple other ingredients. But I have yet to find a recipe or experiment on my own.

Look into https://www.sixpackbags.com/. Works wonders and have a bag no matter what your profession maybe. I use the Innovator 500 black and gets me through my 10hr work days just fine and extra space for work stuff in the pockets. Only bag i need for everything while working.

Similar to me this summer, was living on my own and could only afford so much.

roughly 55$ a week eating:

M1:
6 eggs
4 oz egg whites
3oz steak
All cooked together with the steak added to the eggs when ready

M2:
Protein shake
Apple

M3:
10oz chicken
1/2 sweet potatoe
1 table spoon peanut butter

M4:
Same as M2

M5:
10oz chicken
1 cup rice
1 cup spinach

If Im hungry after that I threw in a little bit of steak before bed.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws