advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Scientists grow MEAT in a lab. Would you eat Frankenmeat?

Nemain

Registered
Would you eat Synthetic Meat?

But it's not synthetic, it's real living cells making it real meat.

Would you eat a hamburger grown in a petri dish? How would you feel if your breakfast sausage came from the lab? Well, scientists are getting close to making this a reality. It's called in vitro meat, and Dutch biologist Mark Post is pretty confident that he can put a lab-grown hamburger on your plate by the end of the year.

The stakes are high. Right now, 40 billion animals are killed per year in the US alone. One million chickens are killed per hour. Over one-fourth of the total land surface of the earth is used for livestock grazing (or non-grazing, like in factory farms). Global meat production accounts for 18 percent of greenhouse gasses. That's more than every car, bus, train, and airplane produces combined. And its not like conventional meat production is even efficient. To make 15 grams of edible meat, we have to feed that animal 100 grams of vegetable protein. Is that sustainable with a growing world population? You do the math.

We know how to make the meat. All it takes is a biopsy of muscle cells from a living cow, chicken...whatever...called myoblasts. The cells are then grown in a nutrient-rich culture medium that delivers them all the goods that they would get in vivo--that is, if they were still inside the animal. But that's not all. They also have to grow on an edible scaffolding which would allow them to organize into 3-D muscle fibers that can stretch and bend. Essentially, they need to be able to exercise like traditional muscle, because of course, that's what meat is.

Lots of labs are working on this, and the miniscule meat bits that they have been able to produce so far are kind of grey and flavorless. But that's what happens when you grow a thin sheet of muscle cells all by themselves. The holy grail of in vitro meat will be to make a product that simulates the complexity of muscle in a living animal. Truth is, that's probably not in the cards just yet. The first available in vitro meat will likely be a combination of muscle fibers, fat cells (for flavor) and blood vessels (for color and iron). They'll be grown separately and then mixed together. But I honestly don't see that being a problem. As Americans, we're kind of okay with the chicken nugget and hot dog culture we've grown to know and love.

Growing in vitro meat would use up to 60 percent less energy, emit up to 95 percent less greenhouse gas, and use 98 percent less land than conventionally grown meat. The meat would be cleaner (no more pesky E. coli or Salmonella), grown without the use of hormones or antibiotics, and we could even engineer it to be high in healthy omegas or other nutrients. What's more, we could eat weird stuff, like zebra meat or hammerhead shark, since animals don't have to die...they only have to donate a few cells. One day, we may even be able to make tyrannosaurus burgers. I mean, that's really cool.

A clip on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEr-...eature=related

An other really good clip on some facts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDCmL...eature=related

All day long!

I can't wait till the day comes where they will make Tyrannosaurus-rex burgers, like the one scientist said in the clip. That would take my bulking to a whole other level.:eek:

I would eat it and believe things like this are the future. With world resources the way they are things gotta change eventually. in the uk real meat is becoming unaffordable. Idd love to eat meat that never had to be killed, best of both worlds

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I heard whale penis has the best amino acid profile and it is the slowest digesting protein out there.

This sounds like the future of nutrition. Why not? If you can make a PERFECT meat, without having to kill, then WHY NOT?!

I would eat it and believe things like this are the future. With world resources the way they are things gotta change eventually. in the uk real meat is becoming unaffordable. Idd love to eat meat that never had to be killed, best of both worlds

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I agree there! No more power planting with commercial size slaughtering of animals.

With the oceans being drained of fish and other wildlife, to the brutality of these slaughterhouses. I won't play any clips of those, and yes there not what you would even think. It's cruel, and some inhumane shit. Brutal!

I'm sure this would cultivate a market for poachers, but that would be the least of the issues compared to the turn around on this, with saving on greenhouse gas, and the amount of jobs that this could create and so on.

I heard whale penis has the best amino acid profile and it is the slowest digesting protein out there.
Well that won't be on my dinner plate any time soon. I'll send ya a bottle of A1-sauce, tell me how it turns out.

This sounds like the future of nutrition. Why not? If you can make a PERFECT meat, without having to kill, then WHY NOT?!

This is the exact reason I posted this! ^
You can bio-engineer a perfect meat, with top of the line GRADE A properties, in nutrition and taste.

I agree there! No more power planting with commercial size slaughtering of animals.

With the oceans being drained of fish and other wildlife, to the brutality of these slaughterhouses. I won't play any clips of those, and yes there not what you would even think. It's cruel, and some inhumane shit. Brutal!

I'm sure this would cultivate a market for poachers, but that would be the least of the issues compared to the turn around on this, with saving on greenhouse gas, and the amount of jobs that this could create and so on.

The amount of jobs created would be much less than the amount of jobs already provided by farms and slaughterhouses. I think the idea is great, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking this would benefit people job wise. That's like the gvt saying 100k new jobs were created and not mentioning the 200k jobs that were closed. Kinda offsets itself

Plus, there won't be much "work" to be done by people. This will be done by machines to limit contamination on a global scale

Last edited:
I'd be all over this. As long as it tastes the same I'm pretty sure I can eat frankenmeat and be fine with it.

The amount of jobs created would be much less than the amount of jobs already provided by farms and slaughterhouses. I think the idea is great, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking this would benefit people job wise. That's like the gvt saying 100k new jobs were created and not mentioning the 200k jobs that were closed. Kinda offsets itself

I disagree strongly here

You have to consider packaging and processing here, marketing, promoting, sales, advertisements, I can go on and on with the scale of networking here.

I can not wait for it.
cruelty free. and hopefully healthier.

I will be able to eat fish without worrying it is coming from Chinese polluted waters...or nuclear waste from Japan..

I can not wait for it.
cruelty free. and hopefully healthier.

I will be able to eat fish without worrying it is coming from Chinese polluted waters...or nuclear waste from Japan..

Bingo

As long as taste and texture are consistent with the real thing, I'm in.

hmm a few things come to mind
1) what will the chinese people be able to slaughter to extinction if this becomes mainstream
2) i am not religious but this sounds like the potential for a biblical or zombie like plague
3) if they can grow food in a lab grow me a big mac that has 50 grams of protein, 100 grams of slow digesting carbs, and 8 grams of EFA's

a way i could satisfy my animal instinct to eat meat, without hurting and actual animal???...id be all for it, 100%...as long as the taste is there, and it wont kill me 5 years down the road...

this is definitely the future though i doubt it would be too cheap initially id definitely pay a premium tho

and i hope the guys working on this become billionaires its probly gonna be the biggest breakthrough in our lifetime

the miniscule meat bits that they have been able to produce so far are kind of grey and flavorless

I'll pass for now. But if they can get it to look and taste like meat and have the same nutritional value, im all in.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws