over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Seated Tricep Extensions

FK86

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Does anyone have any tips for getting the bar into position? I've gotten to the point where the weight I'm using is too heavy for my wrists to hoist up from my lap with my hands in the proper grip position for the exercise. I tried using a power rack, but the fixed EZ bars are not long enough to rest in the j-hooks. I train alone and I also don't like the one or two arm dumbbell variations.

Pick a better movement for your body. I think independent bi lateral tricep extensions are superior to barbell movements. For me barbells only used for tricep pressing as the rigidity of the bar allows for heavy load.

I know this isn't helpful but I love the single handed dumbell overhead extension while using a twisting action and keeping the bicep pressed to my head behind my ear.

can use the v bar on the cables and do overhead tricep extensions, really any overhead tricep extension will target the same muscle
can do it with the barbell too

How bout cleaning to chest level then sit then press over head and begin the Tricep extension, which I call the French Press. If you can't clean then press the EZ Curl bar you obviously can't do the extension.

And this is what you do?

Yeah, id do that too when I used to do them from time to time. Worked for me.

If you put the bar at the foot of a decline sit up board and hook your feet and lay down doing a decline skull crusher but kicking slightly backwards (I think this is called a California press?), you can activate the long head just like you would with an overhead French press. No need for spotter, as you just put the bar right back on the floor.

If you put the bar at the foot of a decline sit up board and hook your feet and lay down doing a decline skull crusher but kicking slightly backwards (I think this is called a California press?), you can activate the long head just like you would with an overhead French press. No need for spotter, as you just put the bar right back on the floor.

yep, and when I was having bad elbow issues this position was much better on them

Does anyone have any tips for getting the bar into position? I've gotten to the point where the weight I'm using is too heavy for my wrists to hoist up from my lap with my hands in the proper grip position for the exercise. I tried using a power rack, but the fixed EZ bars are not long enough to rest in the j-hooks. I train alone and I also don't like the one or two arm dumbbell variations.
I LOVE seated overhead CABLE extensions with a straight bar...hands close together. Also, it is important to make sure the pulley attachment is positioned so that it sits at least 12-18 inches behind your body. By doing this, it pulls your elbows slightly behind your body, not only eliminating the need to try and keep your elbows in place, but providing a superior stretch to the inner, larger head of the tricep muscle (the one with the most growth potential). In addition, by using the cable you are working with a more even strength curve, thereby placing maximustress on the triceps throughout the entire range of ktion, without over-loading or under-loading any part of the prep (which most certainly happens with conventional barbel/EZ bar overhead extensions.

This exercise is the single greatest triceps mass-builder I have ever used.

At first thought, due to the use of a cable (which has traditionally been maligned as an inferior muscle building device in comparison to free weights), it seems counterintuitive, but we should dispense with such idiocy when necessary. There are machines/cable exercises that work phenomenally well, as is the case here. You can REALLY pile on the weight with this exercise as well, but performing it without a spotter (the OP's situation) would not be wise, particularly when performing all-out heavy sets. While it is possible to get the bar back on the ground after going to failure, it is easy tweak something because you have to contrort your body in order to get out from under the load. This works fine with lighter loads (maybe later in the workout with higher reps), but not with heavy loads performed to failure, especially if you are very strong in this movement.

If you are lucky youll be at a gym that has a cable machine that is exclusively for doing this overhead movement. Ive been at a few. Just recently there was a pro using one and whomever owns the gym did not have it bolted to the ground and the bodybuilder ended up pulling the machine down on himself! There is a video out there somewhere.

How bout cleaning to chest level then sit then press over head and begin the Tricep extension, which I call the French Press. If you can't clean then press the EZ Curl bar you obviously can't do the extension.

This or use a cable variation. The obvious answer is just ask someone to lift it up to you. You could do what I did last workout and do them standing but you have the same issue. Although if you aren't strong enough to get an ez bar overhead and into starting position you aren't strong enough to do a proper working set with good form (full stretch etc). If you haven't already you could do some ez bar skull crushes on the floor so you have no worries about getting the bar into position. That is also a great tri-cep builder were you can overload the muscle with heavy weight. I like to do dead stop reps to finish for extra intensity as well.

I seen the video not sure if it’s the same one but something similar happened to Brandon Curry not very long ago

I seen the video not sure if it’s the same one but something similar happened to Brandon Curry not very long ago

If you can't clean then press the EZ Curl bar you obviously can't do the extension.

Although if you aren't strong enough to get an ez bar overhead and into starting position you aren't strong enough to do a proper working set with good form (full stretch etc).

I do the extensions with a controlled rep cadence and lower to neck level to get the required stretch. Clean and pressing the weight is not an issue. I'm strong enough to do that. With a straight bar this would be very simple, but the kinks in the ez bar affect the weight distribution of the load such that the bar is twisting in my hands given where I grip it to do the movement creating the awkward setup. The attached photo is where I hold it. However, I could try to initially hold the bar for the clean and press as if I were doing a reverse barbell curl and then adjusting my hands when it is overhead. Floor skull crushers are a movement I do as well. It's just not in my exercise rotation at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Attachments

• Coleman.jpg
    Coleman.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 8
Just my opinion but if you train heavy on your compound movements you can train triceps with moderate weights and higher reps. Get the best of both worlds with minimal risk of injury that could occur by isolating the triceps with heavy weights. Saves the wear and tear on your elbows for later in life too.

I train alone too. And I understand how difficult it is to do seated triceps extensions
in a seated position with a barbell when the weight becomes cumbersome, difficult
and dangerous to get into position.

You said that you do not like one or two handed dumbbell variations but give this a try.

I do two handed dumbbell triceps extensions on an incline bench at about a 45 deg.
position. With two hands, but the dumbbell on your lap and ‘flip’ it onto your upper
chest while leaning back into position. Now press the dumbbell overhead and do
your extensions with your elbows vertical or slightly back so you have some
resistance in the contracted position. (I can do them this way with a 110 lb. dumbbell
and I weigh about a buck sixty five.). This is my favorite triceps exercise and is
relatively safe and ’easy’ to get the weight into the correct position.

Let us know what your think after you have tried it.

Hope this helps.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828