over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Self coaching VS having a coach?

Corgopop

Registered
Newbies
What are your guys opinions on this matter in an offseason context? Personally, offseason I’ve seen even better growth self-coaching simply because I feel like sometimes when not in prep we don’t have the coaches full attention.

i don't think guys like Dorian had any coaches really did it alone. if you been doing it a while, its the same process year in year out, watching paint dry. goal in off season is not to get sloppy fat, and prep not to lose muscle etc. if you can do that alone and not second guess yourself than it can work.

Self-coaching: optimal for gym rats with easy to achieve goals who want to save money

Having a coach: very helpful for those with higher physique goals like competing at the national/pro level, being a crazy looking freak without having freak genetics, etc

I don’t know a single good pro or national level bodybuilder who doesn’t have a coach in both offseason and prep.

You can't possibly coach yourself properly and this is coming from someone who does just that lol

But I'm serious, like the guys above already said, you need the outside guidance to get the most out of it all. Preferably both on- and offline to push you harder in your training sessions as well...

On a nutrition level you can somewhat mitigate the effect of not having a good coach with some of the better coaching apps out there like Carbon Diet Coach and Macrofactor but that is just the nutritional part and it's only mitigation, it will never replace a good coach neither.

For those that are pro's with a lot of money on the line i can understand. For me i always did my own with no regrets. No one has the time ability to learn my body better then me. And once i learn then i know. One of the things i liked about BB'ing is that it doesn't have to be a team sport. i can't blame any one but me. But when i do good it is all because of me. It really isn't rocket science.

Based off your guys responses… seems like my past coach experience was just shit lol.

My coach pretty much just told me eat more when my weight would plateau (nothing I couldn’t do) and gave me some list of exercises lol.

Self-coaching: optimal for gym rats with easy to achieve goals who want to save money

Having a coach: very helpful for those with higher physique goals like competing at the national/pro level, being a crazy looking freak without having freak genetics, etc

I don’t know a single good pro or national level bodybuilder who doesn’t have a coach in both offseason and prep.
That last point is very true. Looks like I should look around for a coach again soon.

Based off your guys responses… seems like my past coach experience was just shit lol.

My coach pretty much just told me eat more when my weight would plateau (nothing I couldn’t do) and gave me some list of exercises lol.
THAT was a shit coach yes :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure it can't be that hard to find someone that caters to the individuals' needs instead of just sending out cookie cutter training and nutrition programs?

If I may give you 1 tip: Dom Cardone from this forum. (I don't know what his handle is)

Why? Because he will work WITH you while keeping a check on your health as well...

Just look him up on Instagram or maybe someone will tag him for me :)

I always did it on my own, as that's how it was in the late 80s when I first stepped on stage. I made mistakes and learned, but didn't see a need for a coach. I never liked the idea of relying on someone, only learning from them.

I think a coach works very well for people lacking experience and objectivity under pressure. Some just want that external voice to keep them in check, especially in prep when it's easy to make mistakes.

I have nothing against coaching and do some myself, but some people - even competitors - don't really need one.

yah i don't think shawn ray or dorian or even leverone had a coach, i could be wrong but i think they figured most of it on their own.

i think the shed did his own prep this year too for olympia.

Coaches are good for two things- 1) keeping you accountable, 2) an objective eye. The latter is especially important in the last 4 weeks of prep where shit gets weird and you have to make adjustments; they are just going to have a better eye for that. With that being said, I have worked with two different coaches, and neither listened particularly well to my feedback. I do my own diets now, and make very minor changes week to week.

1000% having a coach is worth it.

Like 165 said, if you’re just a gym rat running gear - buy BYOBBC from Scott Stevenson and you can figure it out, kinda. Chances are you won’t have an elite physique, but you’ll look good. I did this for years. Most do.

Get a coach if you wanna take your physique to the next level. This is mostly nutrition too. Lifting is meh, we all know how to train but having someone to tell you, “no, you’re not fat yet” or “you’re flat, it’s fine, keep dieting”
is absolutely necessary. You willll over tbink stuff, that’s a fact. And a good coach takes the thinking out of your hands. You WILL look better.

I dont really have an opinion one way or the other, it just depends on what type of person you are. A well organize person that notes everything and is able to analyze feedback from different parameters will be able to coach themselves.

Many past pro bodybuilders coached themselves and perhaps used another competitor as a second set of eyes.
Yates, Haney, Ray, Cormier, Levrone and many other great bodybuilders in the 80's and 90's coached themselves.

Today...... not hardly a single bodybuilder coaches themselves

Funny thing is... I preferred the physiques of the 80's 90's.

I like to see pictures of those who went on stage without a coach

Seriously?

A 'coach' in a traditional sense?

How much time do you have?

There is a saying,
What do you call the doctor who diagnoses himself? Dead.

Moral of the story an outside perspective can be invaluable.

What are your guys opinions on this matter in an offseason context? Personally, offseason I’ve seen even better growth self-coaching simply because I feel like sometimes when not in prep we don’t have the coaches full attention.

A good coach is invaluable IMO. They are objective and don’t make decisions on emotions.

I’ve had two GREAT coaches, a couple ehh… it’s not like I fucking forgot what we did those preps and off-season. But it’s almost impossible to replicate the speed of results.

They can see farther down the road and not let you make unnecessary decisions, which would probably be unproductive.

And it’s just nice to be on cruise control, and just focus ALL your energy on executing. Every ounce of chicken and rice, every set and every rep.

No thinking about next week, or next training block, or next weeks macros Just….welp I got to destroy this 18 set leg day today.

Look at nearly any pro show from the 70s through the early 2000s.

Lee Haney, IMO the best Mr. O, Gaspari, Lee Labrada, Berry DeMey, Mike Christian, Cormier, Levrone, Flex, Shawn Ray, Bob Paris, Vince Taylor, Samir Bannout, JP Fux, DeMayo, Matarazzo, Milos, and of course Yates. Don't forget Arnold, Zane, Mentzer, Dickenson, Padilla, Ed Corney, Tom Platz, Mohammed Makkawy, and so many more.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws