Shin Splints

mytreefiddy

IFBB PRO / Featured Member / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Suffered from this from time to time but its been awhile...... now it hit me outta nowhere...excruciating pain...really killing my cardio.... Ordered a Muscle Rolling Stick to see if that helps....anybody else suffer from this??... any good remedies??

How did U get them? Running I presume ?
If shoes are old. Buy new

This has always helped me. Used to get them playing college football and would change my cleats and they would almost instantaneously be gone.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4tDVhk5t8s&list=UUmSEdfW3LpEKyLiCDWBDdVQ"]Soleus and tibialis anterior superset - YouTube[/ame]

this movement at the 55 second mark has cured my shin splints for good....I can run again!!

Bump.... back on the cardio grind and dealing with this fucking shit again..... however, I think I'm on to something..... I do fasted cardio outside in the mornings in the street.... been doing a 2nd session in the afternoon on a treadmill and zero pain.... so I'm thinking the asphalt with zero give can be causing it.... they usually subside after doing cardio daily but its taking longer.... I stretch the fuck outta them.. all kind of exercises.. heat... cold.. you name it... I change my kicks every couple hundred miles too..... fucking annoying......

I get shin splints the first week I start cardio again then it disappears

I never found anything to help other than adjusting incline

usually gets better as your conditioning gets better...otherwise switching to a machine like elliptical, bike or something will often avoid the shin problem.

You have an awesome treadmill Bro, it has a Flex-Deck which should
help tons :p.

-MT

Tibial is raises can help. A lot of the time they're caused by muscular imbalances

Last year when I 1st started my new job I got a calf splint. Similar to shin splint just same pain on calf. So anyways sucked it up and kept working into next day. All a sudden got so excuctiating painful my whole body felt like I was overheating. Took my temp and it was a little high. Go to employee health and looks at my calf and it all red. They send me across the street to the ER cuz I work at a hospital. Get to ER and they think it may be a blood clot. So I get an ultra sound done and my legs and feet examined. Come to find out it was luckily just a "surface" blood clot and not a dangerous deep one and it would eventually just pass nd it did within a couple days. But scary thing is after being examined the doctor said he believes it was caused by my feet. I was born with insanely flat feet and over pronuated feet. And I have to wear boots as part of my work uniform which have always been painful. So scary thing is I just turned 30 3 days ago and it's something I have to keep an eye out for now. Doc said cu of my feet I have poor blood flow from my feet to my legs. So I have to keep a careful eye on them. So every time I get a "calf cramp" I'm in fear of other clot. The only way to fix my feet is called the "All American Surgery" which is a foot surgery where the steak every bone in your feet and rebuild/reconstruct my feet. And even after thT it's still not guantareed to work or be fixed. I looked into thes surgery and it's insanely painful and the recov eye process is a whole year long. No walking for aT least. Month and even after that you have to pretty much learn to walk again and aren't even fully walking till about a full 12+ months. So this option is definetly not in the cards for me. Not only can I not afford to work for an entire year but I can't be couch ridden with 2 little ones nd. Family for months at a time.

Suffered from this from time to time but its been awhile...... now it hit me outta nowhere...excruciating pain...really killing my cardio.... Ordered a Muscle Rolling Stick to see if that helps....anybody else suffer from this??... any good remedies??
Back in my military days, when guys were training for any sort of an event involving lots of rucking with a heavy load for extended distance, an observation was made. Basically the guys that prepared by rucking and running themselves into the ground either:

1) developed an injury in the prep process (many times shin splints involved) that put their plans on hold.

2) weakened their shins to the point that when they were going through the actual event process they got injured and were unable to continue.

To combat this, traditional rucking and long distance running was avoided. Instead guys would bike standing up while wearing a vest, or use the versaclimber, periodically hit the stairmaster with weight and swim. The bigger guys were really pushed towards the biking standing up option to save the knees and shins. Running is an excellent cardio choice but when you haven't been maintaining it on a frequent level, it's not the best option. Obviously goal dependant of course, but if it's just cardio you need then applying HIT principles to the biking standing up option works well. (I'm sure an elliptical not bad option here either) I personally like doing intervals like 30 sec balls out intensity, followed by 1 min medium intensity, 30 sec balls out, etc, then when I've reached the appropriate amount of time I want to keep at it I'll finish with a solid minute or longer high intensity sprint until wiped out. Got shown that method as a college wrestler when on a layoff from getting on the mat due to a skin issue. It was done for the length of a collegiate wrestling match with all ot. It can be adjusted for whatever your Individual goal is, for example a guy preparing for a longer mma event would need to push it way beyond the length of a wrestling match, and a guy doing it for simple cardio can adjust based on tolerance.

But to recap, I walk around between 250-280 depending on the time of yr these days and doing road work is just asking for shin irritation. So I work around it. And make sure you do all the necessary recovery activities outside the gym to support your efforts inside (Inflammation control, deep tissue massage, chiro, rollers, stabilizer work, etc) to stay injury free. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Professional Muscle mobile app

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner