over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shoulder Pain

Shoulder bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis are different ways of saying there is inflammation of a particular area within the shoulder joint that is causing a common set of symptoms. The proper terminology for these symptoms is 'impingement syndrome.' Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons and the bursa that surrounds these tendons. There is a difference between tendonitis and bursitis, but in most cases of impingement syndrome there is a combination of these problems.
Where is the problem that causes shoulder bursitis?
The shoulder is a complex joint where several bones, muscles, and ligaments connect the upper extremity to the chest. Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation between the top of the humerus (arm bone) and the acromion (tip of the shoulder). Between these bones lies the tendons of the rotator cuff, and the bursa that protects these tendons.

Normally, these tendons slide effortlessly within this space. In some people this space becomes too narrow for normal motion, and the tendons and bursa become inflamed. Inflammation leads to thickening of the tendons and bursa, and contributes to the loss of space in this location. Eventually, this space becomes too narrow to accommodate the tendons and the bursa, and every time these structures move between the bones they are pinched--this is why the condition is called impingement syndrome.

Causes of Shoulder Bursitis
Impingement syndrome is a descriptive term of pinching of the tendons and bursa of the rotator cuff between bones. In many individuals with this problem, the shape of their bones is such that they have less space than others. Therefore, small thickenings of the tendons or bursa can cause symptoms.
Often there is an initial injury that sets off the process of inflammation. Thereafter, the problem can be self-exacerbating. Once there is an initial injury, the tendons and bursa become inflamed. This inflammation causes a thickening of these structures. The thickening then takes up more space, and therefore the tendons and bursa become are pinched upon even more. This causes more inflammation, and more thickening of the tendons and bursa, and so on.

Symptoms of Shoulder Bursitis
Common symptoms include:
Pain with overhead activities (arm above head height)
Pain while sleeping at night

Pain over the outside of the shoulder/upper arm [/I][/I]
Making the diagnosis of impingement syndrome can usually be accomplished with a thorough physical exam. It is important to be examined by an individual familiar with different causes of shoulder pain, as there are other problems that can have similar symptoms. Making an accurate diagnosis is necessary for proper treatment. X-rays are usually performed to assess the bony anatomy of the shoulder. An MRI may be considered to ensure there is no sign of a rotator cuff tear.
Impingement syndrome and a rotator cuff tear are different problems, and although they are related, the treatment is different. The treatment of impingement syndrome usually begins with some simple steps. In people who do not respond to these simple treatments, surgery may be considered.

Cito

This is very good technical info but not entirely correct! I'm no Doctor but I have had 5 shoulders surgery's and waiting on scheduling for # 6! So I know a little about this.

What to you feel when u raise your hand from your side straight over your head straight out like the iron cross to clapping your hands over your head? Is the pain a SHARP pain. If its a Sharp pain its an Impingement.

If u raise your arms to the side elbows level with shoulders elbows bent pointing in front of u and feel it Impingement. If no pain there have some one push down slightly at the elbows. If sharp pain Impingement.

The Key to Impingement is SHARP pain like someone sticking an Ice pick in the joint.

Only real way to find out is an MRI! But Torn rotator torn Labrum can all do this! Why because they are what center the ball in the socket. If you have a tear even a slight one this can happen.

I just had surgery 13 mo ago for this shit. another MRI shows I have slight tears in Rotator and Labrum! As well as a bone spur.

So this time they are going to finish the tear. Or detach both in the torn areas so they will actually heal.

If u have insurance don't mess around go find an Orthopedic surgeon that specializes in sports medicine let him answer your question.

I'm new hear so I'm bouncing all over the board trying to earn my rights to pm and what not. With out whore posting. So u may be able to pm me for more answers or info If I miss a post here,

The Jackle

Last edited:
Ive had this multiple times it always comes from incline barbell. The last time it lasted for months and wouldnt go away i couldnt do any over head pressing movments and was losing strenth on bench. i tried taking time off and doing rotator cuff excersises nothing helped. I finally added 150mg deca a week to my trt because my 51yo gym buddy said he runs low dose year round and it helps his. Withing 2 weeks no more pain and i was back easing into shoulder presses. I just stopped it to see how things feel im curious to see if the pain stays gone.

I've experienced the same thing as described in the OP and suffered with it for 3 months before I had my shoulder massaged by a professional who focused on sports related physical therapy. He worked all the muscles around that shoulder really hard (painfully hard actually) and after 5 minutes the pain was completely gone and I was immediately able to do heavy flat barbell bench again. It was like a miracle.

Sounds like a labrum tear. I had the same problems.. went to the speacilist and I had a slap tear.. just had surgery for it on Monday.

I've experienced the same thing as described in the OP and suffered with it for 3 months before I had my shoulder massaged by a professional who focused on sports related physical therapy. He worked all the muscles around that shoulder really hard (painfully hard actually) and after 5 minutes the pain was completely gone and I was immediately able to do heavy flat barbell bench again. It was like a miracle.

What was your shoulder injury?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner