over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shoulder Replacement Surgery

buck

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I am looking at having a hemi shoulder replacment some where down the road. The Dr. says when ever I am ready. It isn't bothering me alot now. Just looking for some info in general, training for now, recovery from the surgery, what to expect. I know this is a wide open question, just looking to make my longer term plan. The Dr. I saw was a team surgeon for the Seahawks, he was highly reommended by my therapist. I had the other shoulder(left) operated on 11-12 years ago and had 2 rotators reattached that were tore off the bone as well as a ruptured biceps fixed if that will help any one relate any sort of info. Thanks.

Shoulder replacement?

Hold off until you absolutely need it! If it isnt bothring you right now then dont even think about it. What is the prognosis of the shoulder for it needed a replacement?

I have BAD osteo arthritis in one of mine and a few bone spurs in the front and the back of the joint. I have been told the same as you, that my only real option is a replacement down the road is innevitable.

But I will wait until I cant lift my arm before I get it done. I am not sure what the recovery is like, but I going to guess training would never be the same sadly.:(

By bothering I mean I am not loosing alot of sleep over it. Do wake when it is aching and I am still training but it has slowed my lifting down . Can't squat any more as I am not able to get my arm far enough back to grab the bar, heavy presses are rarity. And curling is with lighter weights. Torn labrum, tendonitis etc, bone rubbing on bone. I know of a guy on another board that is back up 400lbs in his bench press at a meet that is with a bench shirt, but it is 4 months after surgery. And Ed Corny of Pumping Iron fame competed in the masters Olympia after having his done, and has had the other done since then. I know that this is more uncommon with lifters, just seeing what experience there is out there with this.

For me...

My ortho doc says I need one, but I am not doing it. He told me my days of heavy lifting in the gym would be over after a shoulder replacement. That's all I needed to hear. No way for me. When I had my knee surgery years ago, I saw people coming in to have their knee replacements redone because of something getting out of alignment, loose, worn, etc. And when you think about it, the shoulder doesn't have the same amount of bone to work with as a hip or knee if something goes wrong and you need another repair. I didn't even want to open that can of worms. Its my personal choice. I can make do.

I understand. My Ortho deals with alot of Pro athletes. He said that doing the Hemi replacement would allow me to return to training after 3 months with some restrictions. I cut the recovery time in half with my last shoulder surgery. After a full replacement, (when the Hemi replacment wears out), I was told that there would be permanent restrictions. I see where Ed Corny is still training and he is in his 70's.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws