over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

side and bentover lateral proper form/tempo

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have always only done presses for my shoulders in the past (low volume HIT type routines). I recently hired an online trainer and these two exercises make up the majority of my shoulder work.

I know alot of guys on here do these from reading some training threads, any tips on how to get the most out of this exercise? My side delts might be my weakest point.

How long do you guys take on the negative?:confused:

Well

Laterals are my bread and butter. Side and rear. Here's what I figured out for me:

Side:
Keep your arms straight, not bent. Straight out to the sides. Start out light and don't use momentum.

Just control the negative, and don't let your arms come all the way down to a resting position until the set is over.

Finally, at the top, push your arms out, like you're trying to make them longer. Think, "big wingspan". Otherwise the tendency is to pull in with the traps.

Rear:
I use a machine fly. Only way I can isolate enough to hit them well.
Sit facing the machine, head up chest out. Pull your traps in, so they're already flexed and cant help you. Grip the handles. The movement will be about a 45 degree movement. Not all the way forward. From about 45 degrees, all the way back, flex hard and control the negative, but don't relax

This has finally given me some shoulders I get comments on. Still working.

Shoulder presses have never done shit for me. Every variation. My arms are too long, so it's all Triceps and everything but shoulders. I've gone up to 315lb push presses thinking weight was the answer and nada, nothing in the way of development.

Side laterals, grab a pole, lean out at about 30 degrees relative to the pole, using no body-english raise the dumbell out until its paralell with the floor, when you lower it it should be controlled, not crashing into your thigh.

rear dealts - Why?

side laterals work wonders if you use your shoulders and not momentum. I like upright rows also.

thanks for the tips guys, solid advice!

hopefully these will transform my delts. im like ehren no matter how much i press my delts still suck..overhead...db...smith seated..etc.... easily my worst part its pathetic how bad they look.

I also do them with straight arms, and lately I have been using straps. I get some funny looks from guys at the gym when I'm strapping 45lb dumbbells, but it does a great job of isolating my delts and keeping my arms out of it completely.

tried these today and im still a bit confused....

so your supposed to use straight arms? and do you go out to the side of a little bit forward for side laterals?

i bent my arms a little bit and kinda let my wrists be a little limp to try and isolate the delt..

Did Phil include in a post a few weeks ago or so where he said that he prefers lateral raises being done bentover at a 45 degree angle?

I'm a fan of the slightly bent over lateral raise with my thumbs pointed down at the top of the movement.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws