over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Side delt machine

I use them often after I do db lat raises. They help me burn them out with a good heavy load. Plus I really like the static holds I can do o. Them without killing my elbows

I don't care for lateral raise machines as main exercise - I have long arms and can't get the proper ROM to really overload the delts on one. Sometimes I'll do a single dropset on one as a last exercise to maximize my pump but that's it. Cable laterals and DB laterals - in that order - are what built my medial delts.

I like the freedom of cables and/or dbells to suit my own structure. Works best for me.

In the absence of a well designed lateral raise machine (rare!) I would do cable lateral raises starting with the handle behind you at midline to your body (great stretch) and superset them with bd’s laterals. Keeps the reps ~20, very strict form; you should be able to stop and hold the weight at any position of the movement, zero momentum.

Here's the one we have for reference

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 9
Here's the one we have for reference
I like that one. Don't hold the handles and keep elbows in line with your body. After a RP set of 20,12,6 I like to drop the pin down to add weight and stand up, grab the metal part and do a sort of upright row/Y raise set.

Good info from everyone. I feel like the front delts are hard to bring up. I'm a progressive guy who isn't a believer in high volume so this machine fits well with being able to over load them. Do most people just hit the sides heavy like everything else or do you guys get a little higher volume since it's hard to find movements we can really add weight too over Time?

Good info from everyone. I feel like the front delts are hard to bring up. I'm a progressive guy who isn't a believer in high volume so this machine fits well with being able to over load them. Do most people just hit the sides heavy like everything else or do you guys get a little higher volume since it's hard to find movements we can really add weight too over Time?
I find my delts responded better to a higher rep range but still need progession.

I find my delts responded better to a higher rep range but still need progession.
Sames. Higher rep rear delt flyes, cable and banded y raises, and REALLY heavy partial side laterals have been the exercise that have been most effective for me for getting that round capped look

Sames. Higher rep rear delt flyes, cable and banded y raises, and REALLY heavy partial side laterals have been the exercise that have been most effective for me for getting that round capped look
Do you still use the DC ig split? I've been on that so just 3 exercises for the side (heavy RP at the end of chest day, then 3 sets for delts on delt/tri day but 1 is the oh press. Want to keep the same split but add more side delt volume. The machine would be One of my rest paused exercises on delt/tricep day because it's something that you can really progress on each week

Anyone use this? My gym has one but I've always stayed away because I don't think it's as effective as dumbbells, cables, rows. But with a minor forearm injury I've been using it and just not a fan. It seems good because you can get stronger and progress but I don't really feel it in my delts no matter how I position my arms trying to simulate a lateral raise.
Coincidentally, I strained my left wrist this week so I used one of these instead of DB laterals today. I do like the machine and fried my delts pretty good although I do prefer cables with occasional DBs.

Do you still use the DC ig split? I've been on that so just 3 exercises for the side (heavy RP at the end of chest day, then 3 sets for delts on delt/tri day but 1 is the oh press. Want to keep the same split but add more side delt volume. The machine would be One of my rest paused exercises on delt/tricep day because it's something that you can really progress on each week
I do still do that split yes. I use the the side lateral machine as a heavy widowmaker style exercise at the end of every shoulder workout. I use a weight that is a hard 18-20….and grind my way to 30 reps however I can. Each workout I add a tiny bit of weight(think 2.5 or even 1 pound weights attached to the stack) and continue grinding away at them every workout until I’m eventually down to around 12-14 reps. You want this to take a bit of time so don’t make huge weight jumps. It hurts like hell and blows my medial delts up. I believe dusty does these in the video that someone posted in this thread

Coincidentally, I strained my left wrist this week so I used one of these instead of DB laterals today. I do like the machine and fried my delts pretty good although I do prefer cables with occasional DBs.
Use cable ankle cuffs around your wrists so you don’t have to hold on and put the wrist in a compromising position

I do still do that split yes. I use the the side lateral machine as a heavy widowmaker style exercise at the end of every shoulder workout. I use a weight that is a hard 18-20….and grind my way to 30 reps however I can. Each workout I add a tiny bit of weight(think 2.5 or even 1 pound weights attached to the stack) and continue grinding away at them every workout until I’m eventually down to around 12-14 reps. You want this to take a bit of time so don’t make huge weight jumps. It hurts like hell and blows my medial delts up. I believe dusty does these in the video that someone posted in this thread
Did you add the Widowmaker to the original routine? I believe it's written as 3 triceps exercises (2 rest pause and 1 straight set) and 3 delts exercises (2 rest pause one straight set).

Would definitely be interested to see how you run it especially if you have added volume. I run it as written but definitely feel I could handle more delt volume, keeping in mind I'm 185 and use RP in the 20-30 range as I'm almost 40 so the loads I'm using...eventhough my intensity is there . Aren't as taxing as some guys lol

3 exercises, and for weak body parts a widowmaker can be used

Can you post your shoulder routine? Do you also perform a RP set of delts or triceps on chest day?
Normally a shoulder workout for me would be a rear delt exercise straight setted for high reps. Rear delt swings, reverse cable flyes, pec deck flyes etc. for 25-30 agonizing reps and partials.
Next would be a heavy rest paused exercise. Smith press, machine press, etc. rest paused for 18-25 reps or so.
Then another rest pause exercise that varies somewhat from the first. That would be it unless delts we’re a weak point, which for me they are….so I bang away at a widowmaker exercise like seated lateral machine raises until I grind down to a weight that only allows me 12 or so reps. After that I take a break from the widowmaker on shoulder s for awhile while I grind one for triceps or chest which are other areas of focus for me

Normally a shoulder workout for me would be a rear delt exercise straight setted for high reps. Rear delt swings, reverse cable flyes, pec deck flyes etc. for 25-30 agonizing reps and partials.
Next would be a heavy rest paused exercise. Smith press, machine press, etc. rest paused for 18-25 reps or so.
Then another rest pause exercise that varies somewhat from the first. That would be it unless delts we’re a weak point, which for me they are….so I bang away at a widowmaker exercise like seated lateral machine raises until I grind down to a weight that only allows me 12 or so reps. After that I take a break from the widowmaker on shoulder s for awhile while I grind one for triceps or chest which are other areas of focus for me
Nice, I'm thinking about doing something like this to bring up shoulders

Chest (3 exercises, 2 are RP) + 1 RP set for tris
Back (width 2 exercises rp, thickness 2 exercises) + 1 RP set for bis
Legs/traps 2 exercises for quads, hams, 2 for traps one rest paused
Off
Arms 3 exercises for tri and bi, 2 of each RP
Delts 3 exercises 2 rest paused , then some extra high rep volume
Off

Then since I want to bring up delts, maybe 1 high rep dropset each day for delts added into the base routine which is all heavy work

Essentially the same as the ig split but biceps put with tris rather than their own day with rear delts. Then that lateral machine will be the first rest paused exercise on delt day, followed by an oh press, then a rear delt exercise.

I usually use it as a finisher with drop sets to failure with a pause at the top. This is after I've hit my delts with cables and or dumbbells. Hella pump to delts...and it shows.

I’m a big fan of cuffed side cable raises.

The machine lateral raise really braces you in, thus may be effective for those who have problems with form (momentum). Also, good if you have nagging elbow issues.
Cuffed lateral raised ftw

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420