over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

side lateral raises

finishfirst

Registered
Whats the most you guys dare to raise? I keep getting told if i keep going up, I could injure myself. Im at 40's and 45's for 10 to 12 reps, I feel like I can keep going up easy, whats you guy's take on this?

Thanks FF

I think it all depends on how strict your movements are. I used to do 45's and then went down to 25's (very strict isolation). I've been having shoulder pain, too... but I think that's more due to my clean and presses. What do you military press? What do you clean and press? What about the arnold press? Maybe I could tell you more if I know how strong you were in these other shoulder areas.

I'm a bodybuilder not a weight lifter

don't do them

i don't do them i concentrate on heavy presses and don't do any other exercises for delts. it seems not to matter as all three heads contract simaltaneously under resistance. far more productive to concentrate on the basics and skip the fluff movements.

i don't do them i concentrate on heavy presses and don't do any other exercises for delts. it seems not to matter as all three heads contract simaltaneously under resistance. far more productive to concentrate on the basics and skip the fluff movements.

True! I never do them. I only do presses. My shoulders are as good as any of my body parts.

I have done as much as 75lbs for 15-20 reps but they were not clean reps...I can do strict reps around 50lbs or less...but my range is very high around 20 plus reps

There are so many arguements about this. I believe arnold said to do them with strict form with higher reps, while zane said to do them very heavy with low reps. For me personally, most of the time I go with lower reps(6-9) and cheat a little if I have to and have found that this helps with my side delts.

I stick to usually 45-50lbs for sets of 10-12 reps, pretty strict. I've done 70's before but with some speed and cheating. I think for me personally, moderate weight for 10-12 reps works with the odd drop set with lighter weight thrown in.

Phil Hernon..

I'd love to hear what other Phil Hernon trainees are doing with laterials since this is mainly waht he suggust for delts. I can go up to 55-60's for 8-10 reps, but i do get slight wrist pain when doing the first half of the movement...they are extremly difficult to progress in. I have recently dropped to 45-50s and i can do them pain free, but not progressing.

I can see how this can be a injury prone exercise if trying to go too heavy with improper form

I'd love to hear what other Phil Hernon trainees are doing with laterials since this is mainly waht he suggust for delts. I can go up to 55-60's for 8-10 reps, but i do get slight wrist pain when doing the first half of the movement...they are extremly difficult to progress in. I have recently dropped to 45-50s and i can do them pain free, but not progressing.

I can see how this can be a injury prone exercise if trying to go too heavy with improper form

I know when I posted a while back about side laterals, Phil recommended one arm at a time, while holding onto something.

Also one thing I do that a lot of people don't, is use straps on side laterals, trust me on this one, once you try it, you probably will keep using them on this movement.

I know when I posted a while back about side laterals, Phil recommended one arm at a time, while holding onto something.

Also one thing I do that a lot of people don't, is use straps on side laterals, trust me on this one, once you try it, you probably will keep using them on this movement.

Aaah never asked phil about doing them one arm at a time...if i did that i'm sure i would have to lower the weight. I also use straps and it deos help A LOT! I guess i just feel some what guilty for not progressing on an exercise and an one like this i just can't...but i'm sure its not intended to keep getting strong ont his one becuase.

Aaah never asked phil about doing them one arm at a time...if i did that i'm sure i would have to lower the weight. I also use straps and it deos help A LOT! I guess i just feel some what guilty for not progressing on an exercise and an one like this i just can't...but i'm sure its not intended to keep getting strong ont his one becuase.

You shouldnt have to go down much Ali. He has me doing them and I actually was using more weight with single arm laterals then I was regular ones in a about 2-3 workouts.

I have slowly been eliminating these in the traditional since in my routine... in favor of lying side db laterals on an incline...you cannot cheat and 25 lbs is a shit ton on this movement for 12-15 reps...I will do those and superset partials with heavy weight and locked elbows on the standing variety with either seated super strict laterals or smith wide grip upright rows....shoulders have really grown in last yr as a result

laterals

I was progressing pretty good on side laterals--up to 55lbs. Then I felt like I was sacrificing my form and technique. I lightened up the weight and usually dont go any higher than 45lbs..but very strict. I use wrist wraps when I do these---so I dont have to focus soo much on holding on to the weight. I also use to feel them pull a little in my bicep so thats another reason I started using wraps too. Interested on Phil's opinion on these as well. Once I started working with him---I only do laterals. My shoulders have seem to improved by only doing these? ;) As always---I NEVER THINK YOUR SHOULDERS CAN BE TOO WIDE!! Mental1

I was using around 50-60's a year ago, but had huge fronts, huge rears and little bumps for sides. My training partner/mentor taught me how to do them right .. I had to drop down to the 15's/20's for 3 sets of 8 and they were hard. Last Saturday, 8-10 months later, I did a PR workout of the 60's for 8 reps with full contraction and no releasing of the tension on the side delt. Now all 3 heads of my shoulder match and they are easily my best bodypart.

yes ive not done "fluff" movements like laterals in years, but started doin skips version "skip laterals"

basically using straps and flexed(relaxed )wrist and puling from front of thighs up and out to side, NO higher than parallel, much like a upright row..... i can go fairl heavy and feels great... the trick is still not too use soo much weight that traps dominate the movement......

i think its a power or compound type movement for side delts... it does use rear delts and some traps, but moreso side delts when done correct.

25's for 15 reps or 30's for 10 reps each is 4 sets

while on tren i was doing 105's for 8-10 reps the rush of seeing the straitions in the mirror was fuckin great lol

I have done as much as 75lbs for 15-20 reps but they were not clean reps...I can do strict reps around 50lbs or less...but my range is very high around 20 plus reps

holy shit! I've never seen anyone use more than 40's. and I never have gone over 30's cause I got a little twirk in my shoulder when I went heavy.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131